what's wrong with claussen?

Okung & Bulaga will be gone, Trent Williams is rumored to be a better right tackle (plus he's probaly gone by #9) Anthony Davis' play supposedly does not match his formidable talents (plus he could be gone too) so taking a tackle is by no means a slam dunk. I think Claussen will also be gone by pick nine, but I'm starting to think should we get him we will have done well in rd. 1.

I don't watch Norte dame, but seeing USA TODAYS 8 mock drafts showing Claussen going to the Bills made me run a search on him...there's a lot of video to look at, for one.....I saw a very quick release, very good pocket presence, certainly an adequate arm... maybe better...I read many draft reviews on him and everybody seemed tolike him, his stats, for a big school are very impressive...he is a california boy and his 1st name is a pickle are the worst things I could find on him (and remember, if he wins the pickle name will become cool.)

Sooo....using your big words, what's everybody got against him?

And, assuming we can't trade down (maybe someone will fall in love with Spiller or my pick as the surprise draft faller...Berry, but I think teams will wait in a draft loaded from picks 10 - 30), and the top tackles are gone, so who do you take?

And for the derrick morgan fans...I'm pretty sure the Bills have Maybin penciled in at ROLB. It's not like the guy died or nothing...sheesh he's what? 23? Do you see him as a RDE?

Who do I think we'll end up with (forced to draft)? Spiller...which is not such a bad thing

Haha, let the insults fly!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Clausen fan and would love to see the Bills draft him if he's there at #9, but I bet you'll get your garden variety "he's from California" reasoning smattered somewhere within this thread.

Are you on drugs?? at #9?? We might as well take Ron Pawles in the 2nd round. Joe Montana was available last decade - move on Papists!!

I'm a Clausen fan and would love to see the Bills draft him if he's there at #9, but I bet you'll get your garden variety "he's from California" reasoning smattered somewhere within this thread.

I admit to knowing little about him, but, hasn't the knock on him been more of the "attitude" variety? I have heard him compared to Ryan Leaf and Jay Cutler...I could live with Cutler like arrogance...but the Ryan Leaf part scares me a little...

Small hands, short QB (JP size I believe). Arm strength is adequate, but I wouldn't say it's strong by NFL standards (Mallett and Locker both have much stronger arms). What bothers me the most about Clausen is how he reacts to pressure. He's one of those QB's who as soon as he feels some pressure immediately sprints out of the pocket, usually to his right thus eliminating one side of the football field. This type of scramble and make a play downfield works in college, but will not work in the NFL.

I think it's very important to assess a QB on his ability to hang in the pocket and have pocket presence. A lot of key conversions come when a QB is able to buy an extra second by hanging in there, stepping up and giving the receiver just enough time to get open. When I watch Clausen I see a guy who panicks as soon as he feels threatened and that won't fly in the NFL.

Small hands, short QB (JP size I believe). Arm strength is adequate, but I wouldn't say it's strong by NFL standards (Mallett and Locker both have much stronger arms). What bothers me the most about Clausen is how he reacts to pressure. He's one of those QB's who as soon as he feels some pressure immediately sprints out of the pocket, usually to his right thus eliminating one side of the football field. This type of scramble and make a play downfield works in college, but will not work in the NFL.

I think it's very important to assess a QB on his ability to hang in the pocket and have pocket presence. A lot of key conversions come when a QB is able to buy an extra second by hanging in there, stepping up and giving the receiver just enough time to get open. When I watch Clausen I see a guy who panicks as soon as he feels threatened and that won't fly in the NFL.

6-3

Pocket presence is widely considered one of his strengths...

he's not good for starters. he is also not good value at 9, and in that case we should attempt to trade down or take a more NFL ready prospect - Brandon Graham, Dan Williams if still there, etc. We have a lot of positions of need, and frankly I'd be OK with TE running this show for another year if need be, before reaching for Clausen who won't be the next Flacco or Matt Ryan.

In addition, Jason Campbell would be a great addition. I'd be willing to give up a 3rd or 4th on him, ship off whitner maybe? i mean, he was rumored to be going to Washington.

and on that note - lets all end the "trade marshawn" crap. the guy has game, why would we trade one of our few bright spots for a 4th? Freddie is NOT necessarily the better, more talented back. It's a nice problem to have on a team that has way too many issues.

The scouts say his arm is stronger than NFL-normal, it's strong, but not a howitzer like JaMarcus Russell or Jeff George or Druckenmiller or anyone. I'm sure there are some good examples of extremely strong arms, too, (Stafford?) but Clausen's is strong but won't be extremely strong.

As for his height, he's 6'2.5", more than tall enough to be a QB in this league (Brees is 6'1").

As for panicking, well, it's just an opinion, and it's yours, so what the heck. But the scouts either don't see it or see it as a relatively minor flaw. Notre Dame's OL was really bad last year, so he was constantly under pressure.

"Ice in his veins; great poise," " Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows" - Walterfootball

"Arm Strength: Clausen’s arm is well above average though it is not elite. Does posses the ability to make all the throws. Short and intermediate routes have great zip on them and get on the receiver in a hurry. Deep ball has a tendency to float at times, but he does have the power to get it 65-70 yards downfield."

And "Pocket Awareness: Perhaps the biggest improvement Clausen has made in his time at Notre Dame is his ability to feel the rush. Moves well in the pocket and understands when it is time to take off. Good at avoiding the rush and still getting the throw off. Not afraid to stand in and take the hit to make the play."

http://www.newerascouting.com/12/jimmy-cla...couting-report/

This is one I like: "Reminds me of: Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons-He probably doesn't have the quite the arm strength if Ryan, but in terms of a skill set and physical stature they are very similar. Also, in terms of leadership and poise, both are very similar."

And from the same guy, "While he doesn't have a single feature you can point too, like a huge arm, or great mobility, there are very few holes in his game, and his intangibles are really off the charts. It's like he does everything really well but nothing really exceptional, and in this NFL you need guys without big flaws. The speed of the NFL game looks to be the one thing Clausen will have to contend with, but he should be able to adjust."

http://draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=454

A few of the strength listed in this report: "Good height and bulk --- Arm strength is more than adequate and can make all of the necessary throws --- Great throwing mechanics with a quick delivery --- Super accurate passer with terrific touch, timing and anticipation --- Very smart with an excellent football IQ --- Knows how to operate under center, recognize blitzes, read coverages and go through progressions - ..." There's more.

ALL of the weaknesses listed: "Borderline cocky and entitled with a personality that rubs some people the wrong way --- Not a great athlete --- Can be overly cautious and too quick to check down, throw the ball away or take a sack --- Has to windup to really zip the ball --- Floats the deep ball at times --- Might not have a ton of upside --- Is still maturing --- Durability is a concern. "

One further good bit from the notes: "Made major strides in the leadership department as a junior, showing a much better on-field demeanor and taking his team on a number of impressive game-winning fourth quarter drives," and one slightly frightening bit, "The worry is that some of the Jay Cutler-esque qualities of his personality could begin to take their toll in the locker room if he lands in a bad situation or with a dysfunctional franchise --- A polished signal caller with an outstanding pedigree and all of the tools to be a top-notch starter at the next level." ... Are we still a dysfunctional franchise? We have been for quite a while, ruined Losman and are on our way to ruining Trent. Hopefully Gailey and Nix are turning this around. - there's a lot more at draftcountdown

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingRepo...mmy-Clausen.php

Of course, if we are still dysfunctional, it basically doesn't matter who we get.

Anyway, we'll see what Nix thinks in a few weeks.

He's a prick. When Shanahan spends two days with the guy then immediately turns around and trades for McNabb? That tells me all I need to know

I admit to knowing little about him, but, hasn't the knock on him been more of the "attitude" variety? I have heard him compared to Ryan Leaf and Jay Cutler...I could live with Cutler like arrogance...but the Ryan Leaf part scares me a little...

His fellow players elected him captain. He played hurt and brought his team back in the 4th plenty of times. He accumulated great numbers playing for a fairly mediocre team against top competition under the biggest microscope in college football. This guy is no Ryan Leaf. By comparison, Leaf played in relative obscurity until he rocketed up the draft boards in his senior year.

I suppose Drew Brees is terrible with the notion of running out of the pocket and throwing TD's. He leaves the pocket a ton and he is uhhh the Best QB in Football. I think you have been watching too many Burger King commercials when it comes to the small hands comments. My god the guy can throw bullets. If, I'm not mistaking, The College F-ball is the same size as the college ball.

He's a prick. When Shanahan spends two days with the guy then immediately turns around and trades for McNabb? That tells me all I need to know

Yeah, who would choose a 6 time pro bowler plus the best LT in the draft over a rookie QB? Of course he took the deal, it filled two holes on the roster instead of just one.

Let's make it simple.

trade = proven winner at QB, best Left Tackle in the draft

no trade = possible franchise QB that will need a year or two to hit his stride, still need a left tackle

And from this you deduce that JC must suck? Brilliant.

I suppose Drew Brees is terrible with the notion of running out of the pocket and throwing TD's. He leaves the pocket a ton and he is uhhh the Best QB in Football. I think you have been watching too many Burger King commercials when it comes to the small hands comments. My god the guy can throw bullets. If, I'm not mistaking, The College F-ball is the same size as the college ball.

Let's settle down here. I believe Peyton Manning holds that honor

I read an article on the Seahawks signing Charlie Whitehurst to compete with and eventually replace Hasselbeck. The article implied that the signing was an indictment of the talent available at QB in this year's draft. It did say that "aside from Bradford and maybe Claussen, the draft is poor when it comes to elite QB prospects."

He does seem to be the consensus #2 QB available. I personally haven't seen much of him at all to give an opinion.

Yeah, who would choose a 6 time pro bowler plus the best LT in the draft over a rookie QB? Of course he took the deal, it filled two holes on the roster instead of just one.

Let's make it simple.

trade = proven winner at QB, best Left Tackle in the draft

no trade = possible franchise QB that will need a year or two to hit his stride, still need a left tackle

And from this you deduce that JC must suck? Brilliant.

Yea the logic around here sometimes makes my head want to explode!

And quite frankly i understand how everyone has a fetish for a LT, we need one bad. But NO won a super bowl with their backup LT....i dont think they wouldve won with a backup QB

No matter how you slice this thing the Bills are going to take the best player at a position of need. Everyones little hypos and fantasy trades are ridiculous. If the Bills like a LT at 9 theyll take him same for a QB...

If the Bills like clausen at 9 theyll take him, they dont follow draft gurus overvalue system etc. bc in the end it doesnt matter.