[please fix subject]

Hey don't worry, he has a plan. He's going to pass on Clausen and draft "a QB later on."

<_<

Yeah lets keep shoving the QB position aside. People are really in denial....

If we can get a decent QB later on, then who is to say we cannot get a decent LT later on too.

There are no guarantees with O-lineman in the first round either, see Robert Gallery and Mike Williams...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Buddy and Chan trading #41 to the Ravens for Jared Gaither and drafting Clausen @ #9. Then use #72 for the NT that we desperately need in the new defensive scheme.

Possibly the best case scenario.....either way I think we need to make the deal for Gaither.

ESPN INsider....

"Gaither has been a starter for the past two seasons and in that time his metrics have been nothing short of superb. He has allowed only seven total sacks in 27 games and only one of these was a one-on-one sack (defined as when a defender beats a blocker in a one-on-one environment and tackles the quarterback in the pocket within three seconds of the snap). That illustrates Gaither's dominant pass blocking skills, but his run blocking numbers are also quite notable. Gaither was at the Point of Attack (POA) on 300 running plays the past two years and he won his block 255 times, or 85 percent of the time. That is a solid number on its own, but his 2009 POA win rate of 89.0 percent is even more noteworthy. To put that total into perspective, consider that in a typical NFL season, a little less than one out of ten offensive linemen will crack the 90 percent POA win mark. Gaither was on the precipice of that mark last year despite battling injuries."

Nothing is ever a lock when it comes to the draft, but I think the McNabb trade opens up the door for Clausen to come to Buffalo. I'd put the odds at 75%.

No one has been as strong an advocagte for drafting a LT as I have been. But I have also stated that if our coaching staff believes a qb is capable of being our franchise qb then you have to take him. If we have to get a second tier LT in the second round then go ahead and do it. If the Bills have to get a stop gap veteran LT then you do it. If the franchise qb is there then just do it and build the team from there.

There are a number of people who are suggesting that if Clausen is on the board that we should trade down and then get him at a lower pick. That would be foolish and risky. If the scouts believe that he is going to be a franchise qb then get him when you can first get him.

I can see it now DarthIce is frothing at the mouth at the prospect of getting a qb with our first pick. <_<

Cleveland may still go QB, but 2 of the best QB gurus (Holmgren and Shanahan) seem content on passing on Clausen for other players. Pete Carroll coached directly against Clausen and went with a guy who never threw a NFL pass.

when 3 guys like that pass on a guy, it really makes you wonder. If you purely looked at his #s, teams should be drooling over JC. But they aren't.

Because Carrol is such a QB guru...

That makes me want Claussen even more.

I thought maybe Cleveland would take a chance on Clausen, then realized they picked up Seneca Wallace

this offseason, a guy who played under Holmgren in Seattle. That pick up kinda reminded me of how he

went and got Hasselbeck from Green Bay, makes me think he is the eventual starter. As for the Delhome

pickup, Holmgren is a QB guru, and probably believes he can resurrect him for a few years maybe...which

actually may contradict what I thought about Wallace.

As for the Raiders. I absolutely believe they pick Clausen if he is still available. I believe Russell may have

played his last game as a Raider if they land another QB.

I know Holmgren reputation with QBs but is he actually going to leave his office and come down and run drills with him? I also understand that Delhome isn't that far removed from being productive but that was a lot of love they showed with his new contract. He was terrible last year, they must see something they can fix. It might also be that, if you are given a ton of money and the keys to a franchise maybe you want vetrans so that the winning curve isn't as steep.

Why is Washington out of the QB hunt? McNabb is only good for a few years, if he re-ups his contract this year. It would give Clausen a year to season. Shanahan likes gunslingers with an arm. Clausen seems to be like that. I wouldn't be so sure that they wouldn't take him. It really depends what these guys really think of Clausen. Everything is probably a smokescreen...

They will not take a QB because they need OTs (Okung).

They sure as hell will trade #41. They would have traded it for McNabb is he wanted to play here. Getting Gaither for # 41 would be a great trade. Guess we'll see on Clausen if he's even there. The Browns may take him @ 7 despite what Holmgren said publicly about Clausen.

I agree that getting Gaither for our 2nd round pick would be nice. He's got a few years under the belt, he's not great but he's pretty good according to what I read, and the Ravens took Oher because he was the best player available on their board (wish WE were using their board last year) so instead of moving the guy to RT they're shopping him.

Ravens have already said that the offer of a 2nd rounder would "open discussions". If that happened it would take the pressure off the issue of getting a LT and we would have a lot of options on the first pick, especially if Nix isn't interested in drafting a QB this year. The problem is the Redskins have a higher round 2 pick than we do, and I read an article that said they are very interested in Gaither. If they don't draft OL in round 1 my guess is they're gonna go DT with their first pick and deal that second pick to the Ravens.

Hope I'm wrong.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

I agree that getting Gaither for our 2nd round pick would be nice. He's got a few years under the belt, he's not great but he's pretty good according to what I read, and the Ravens took Oher because he was the best player available on their board (wish WE were using their board last year) so instead of moving the guy to RT they're shopping him.

Ravens have already said that the offer of a 2nd rounder would "open discussions". If that happened it would take the pressure off the issue of getting a LT and we would have a lot of options on the first pick, especially if Nix isn't interested in drafting a QB this year. The problem is the Redskins have a higher round 2 pick than we do, and I read an article that said they are very interested in Gaither. If they don't draft OL in round 1 my guess is they're gonna go DT with their first pick and deal that second pick to the Ravens.

Hope I'm wrong.

Redskins are out of the mix as they just traded their 2nd round pick to the Iggles for McNabb.

Yeah lets keep shoving the QB position aside. People are really in denial....

I can't speak for others, but for me, it isn't a question of either/or. I don't believe the Bills can address each and every need of their team in this one draft. That said, the top QBs in this draft do not (IN MY OPINION) trump the top OTs or DTs in this draft. I hope the Bills won't draft a QB w/ the 9th pick, but if that is what happens, then all I can hope for is that they'll put the talent 'round the guy to help 'em succeed as opposed to their proven track record of setting 'em up to fail.

If we can get a decent QB later on, then who is to say we cannot get a decent LT later on too.

Maybe. There's a chance that guys like Saffold, Vlad Ducasse of UMass, or Jared Veldheer of Hillsdale will develop into a potential starter and if the Bills can get their QB early and add one of these guys, that wouldn't be so horrible.

There are no guarantees with O-lineman in the first round either, see Robert Gallery and Mike Williams...

There are no guarantees w/ any position. As is always said of the draft, it's a crapshoot. But, you can probably find multiple early round QB flame-outs for every OL bust. You mention Mike Williams from the 2002 NFL Draft. Well, out of the 4 OTs taken in that round, he's the only one you can honestly say is a "bust". Bryant McKinnie is a Pro Bowl tackle, Levi Jones was a stater for 89 of 94 games in Cincy (and is pencilled in as Washington's starter on the left side), and Marc Columbo has started 64 of 80 games for Chicago and Dallas. So that gives us one "bust" out of 4 OTs selected in Round 1 of that draft. There were also 3 QBs taken in Round 1 of that draft: David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Patrick Ramsey. None of 'em have distinguished themselves as anything more than journeyman players that have each had...and lost...starting jobs in the league. So, just on the '02 draft alone, you have 3 out of 4 OTs that have been productive starters while you've also had 3 out of 3 "so-so" QBs.

Because Carrol is such a QB guru...

That makes me want Claussen even more.

1) He coached directly against him and no how hard he is to stop. If he truly was impressed by Clausen, he would take him.

2) Carroll has produced a hell of a lot more NFL QBs than Notre Dame has and it's not even close.