Got my census form this week...

Just Jack

The constitution says that they have to count the population every 10 years. Nothing else. That is all the info they need.They don't need sex, name, etc.

No.

The USC says that they can do it how the law directs.

What is written into the law?

Pretty clear to me. If the law says they need that information, then they can ask for it. Sure enumeration means to count... But how they enumerate is dictated by the law.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That article says this:

Shortest Form in Years

The 2010 Census is just one page, with ten questions, which makes it one of the shortest census forms in history.

Is that true? I glanced at mine and looks like it was 4 or more pages with tons of questions?

If you have 15 people in your household, sure. Duplicate questions for each person.

And compared to previous versions -- the late 1800s/early 1900s ones are treasure troves of info for genealogists -- this one is practically useless for anything other than a headcount.

Is that true? I glanced at mine and looks like it was 4 or more pages with tons of questions?

One page for the first person living there, the rest are for the additional people living there. So yes, 10 questions x number of people.

What happened then? What's a 100 bucks... Did they still get the info out of her. Can you just give them a c-note and be done with it?

Anyway... Why can't they be happy with just the number of people in the house... Why all the other information?

Yet... It is not unconstitutional what they ask. Article 1, section 2 states:

Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

So... Whatever the law states, I guess they can ask.

I don't know what happened then. My supervisor took it over and told me she was going to be fined. You're right though in saying that the only information they told us was essential was the number of people living in the house. Even if that's all the information we could get that was enough.

Whether or not they can fine you for failing to answer, is another issue altogether, but I do wonder the constitutionality of some (I SAID SOME) of the questions on the Census form.

I know they need to know how many people are living in my house, and how old they are, but why do they need to know if I have a mortgage? What race the people are?

I'm going to answer the Census, but I don't think they need anything beyond how many and what age.

I got my reminder postcard from the Census yesterday. I guess they really want that information. Maybe I will, and maybe I won't fill it out.

Interesting that you mention it because these reminders and notices raise the question of total cost of these mailings. To date, I received: a notice that the census form was coming, the form itself and a postcard reminder. In addition, my local government sent two notices asking me to make sure I fill out the census form. So five mailings in all.

Interesting that you mention it because these reminders and notices raise the question of total cost of these mailings. To date, I received: a notice that the census form was coming, the form itself and a postcard reminder. In addition, my local government sent two notices asking me to make sure I fill out the census form. So five mailings in all.

So much for "going green," eh? Why not let us fill it out online...

You're right, maybe if people stopped evading the census takers and simply mailed back the census in a timely fashion, they wouldn't have to send out all these reminders and waste all that money.

The accuracy of the 2010 Census will determine the geographic distribution of a substantial proportion of federal assistance, particularly in the form of grants, over the coming decade. In FY2008, 215 federal domestic assistance programs used census-related data to guide the distribution of $446.7 billion, 31 percent of all federal assistance. Census-guided grants accounted for $419.8 billion, 75 percent of all federal grant funding.

To illustrate the fiscal impact of decennial census accuracy, each additional person included in the Census 2000 resulted in an annual additional Medicaid reimbursement to most states of between several hundred and several thousand dollars, depending on the state.

http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2010/0309...us_dollars.aspx

In addition, the data is used to determine the number of delegates from each state in the House of Representatives.

Whether or not they can fine you for failing to answer, is another issue altogether, but I do wonder the constitutionality of some (I SAID SOME) of the questions on the Census form.

I know they need to know how many people are living in my house, and how old they are, but why do they need to know if I have a mortgage? What race the people are?

I'm going to answer the Census, but I don't think they need anything beyond how many and what age.

they use the Census for all sorts of neat things

for example, the nationality question was really helpful in 1942 when they used that info to round up thousands of Japanese and inter them in concentration camps