Got my census form this week...

Just Jack

I can't wait to see the posts when some of you get the form I got today. It's the 2nd form they send to a selected few of us (I don't know what percent get this one, but they send you a letter a few days before telling you it's coming).

They ask a lot more than the standard one. I had to fish out gas, electric, water, insurance, & property tax bills. Then the income questions for the last year (not 1/1-12/31, I figured 4/1-3/31 because I filled it out today): bank accounts for interest and paychecks for income. Then I had to estimate how much my house is worth, good thing I work as a real estate appraiser-how's the average Joe supposed to accurately know how much his house is worth? More: What time do you leave for work, how long does it take to get there; what's the address you work at, County & City office is located in. There was more, this is just the main stuff. It took me 45 minutes to dig up all the info to answer the questions, I had to go on line & look at cancelled checks, utility bills, dig up my water/sewer bill etc.

Now I didn't mind doing this, I also got this form last time when I was still in an apartment, but I can see some of you are going to go wild when you get this long form.

Seems fishy. I wouldn't give them any of this information.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems fishy. I wouldn't give them any of this information.

I hope they send you one & you carry out that threat. As I said, when some of you get this you're going to go wild, you're proving my point. This isn't the 1st time I've gotten this form. The 1st time I thoroughly checked out its validity before I sent it in.

I can't wait to see the posts when some of you get the form I got today. It's the 2nd form they send to a selected few of us (I don't know what percent get this one, but they send you a letter a few days before telling you it's coming).

They ask a lot more than the standard one. I had to fish out gas, electric, water, insurance, & property tax bills. Then the income questions for the last year (not 1/1-12/31, I figured 4/1-3/31 because I filled it out today): bank accounts for interest and paychecks for income. Then I had to estimate how much my house is worth, good thing I work as a real estate appraiser-how's the average Joe supposed to accurately know how much his house is worth? More: What time do you leave for work, how long does it take to get there; what's the address you work at, County & City office is located in. There was more, this is just the main stuff. It took me 45 minutes to dig up all the info to answer the questions, I had to go on line & look at cancelled checks, utility bills, dig up my water/sewer bill etc.

Now I didn't mind doing this, I also got this form last time when I was still in an apartment, but I can see some of you are going to go wild when you get this long form.

You're a real estate appraiser? Cool. Me too.

Sounds like you got the dreaded long form. When I worked the Census in 2000 1 in 8 got the long form. My job mostly consisted of sitting down in peoples' homes that hadn't filled out the long form and going over the form line by line. It really got some people up in arms to have a stranger asking them those questions in their homes. Rightfully so, but I didn't write the questions.

I hope they send you one & you carry out that threat. As I said, when some of you get this you're going to go wild, you're proving my point. This isn't the 1st time I've gotten this form. The 1st time I thoroughly checked out its validity before I sent it in.

Not a chance in hell I would answer some of those questions.

Dude,

They aren't going to do anything to you for not filling it out. Trust me, I know these things, , , , , ,

Dude,

They aren't going to do anything to you for not filling it out. Trust me, I know these things, , , , , ,

If you don't fill out the form here's what will happen. They'll come to your door. The big thing is don't try to duck them. Just get it over with. They'll ask you all the questions and all you have to say is you don't want to answer to each one and then it'll be over. If you try ducking them they'll hound you until they get a response. And they can fine you for not cooperating. I have seen it happen.

If you don't fill out the form here's what will happen. They'll come to your door. The big thing is don't try to duck them. Just get it over with. They'll ask you all the questions and all you have to say is you don't want to answer to each one and then it'll be over. If you try ducking them they'll hound you until they get a response. And they can fine you for not cooperating. I have seen it happen.

Did a little research, GOOGLE is a powerful tool. They can fine you for lying on the census forms, not for refusing to answer. The second questionaire is voluntary and you can throw it out, you do not have to answer. Also, on the first form, you are only required (BY LAW) to answer the questions about how many people are living in your house. The rest is VOLUNTARY!

Did a little research, GOOGLE is a powerful tool. They can fine you for lying on the census forms, not for refusing to answer. The second questionaire is voluntary and you can throw it out, you do not have to answer. Also, on the first form, you are only required (BY LAW) to answer the questions about how many people are living in your house. The rest is VOLUNTARY!

Source?

Sorry, I was wrong, you can be fined $100 for not answering the first form, $500 for lying on it. They still cannot require you to answer it though, but it could (COULD) cost you $100.

I never said you could be fined for refusing to answer. BUT you have to make it clear to them that you are refusing to answer. Just refusing to answer and throwing away the form won't make them go away. Sending in your form with the questions you refuse to answer blank won't make them go away either.

I can only go by my experience from 2000, things might have changed, but I wouldn't trust anything to be true unless I read it on the Census Bureau's website. https://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcensus.cf...amp;p_topview=1 Here's a link to the U.S. code that makes it clear you can be fined for both refusing to answer and for lying. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...=Cite:+13USC221

Source?

He already told you....

Did a little research, GOOGLE is a powerful tool.

BTW, got another form today, not the long form Harvey mentioned, another short form, addressed to "resident", not my own name like the first one was.

Actually... I just spoke to the PO in town right now. They said that some have gotten them and some didn't... They actually might just walk around.

It doesn't strike me that most in my town would send them back... :(:doh: Maybe the Census Bureau saves money by walking around. As a village, ours is vastly independent and takes almost zero money federally. They are not beholden to anything like that.

Anyway... Everybody thinks the Census is positive... It is very real that the census actually hurts many and causes more fiscal problems. Not that I care though. Let the numbers and truth in them be told.

I can see them walking around in poorer communites. They can get a more accurate number.

I never got anything in the mail. Not the reminder, form or followup postcard, and I am in the same place as 2000. Today iw sa at the library and a Census person was there. Got the form. There is no way I missed it in the mail. Didn't give my name or phone #., but filled out the rest.

I never got anything in the mail. Not the reminder, form or followup postcard, and I am in the same place as 2000. Today iw sa at the library and a Census person was there. Got the form. There is no way I missed it in the mail. Didn't give my name or phone #., but filled out the rest.

Again... Same here. I also got mine in 2000. It must be the type of community? The PO said that some in my village did get them.

Then again... There is a scam Census going around... Asking for your SS and what not! :thumbsup:

I mean really... We as a nation are our own worst enemies! :devil: