Opinion On What Our Strategy Will Be..........

H2o

Everyone has an opinion on what's going on here and this is mine. I think we are going to take the highest rated player on Nix/Modrak/Gailey's board on draft day regardless of team needs. If Spiller is their highest rated player @ #9, I think he will be on the Bills. If it's a RB, a LB, a WR, a DE, a QB, a OT, a OG, a DT, a SS, a C, no matter whatever the position is I think this will be their strategy. They are looking to rebuild this team and will do it with what they feel is the best player available regardless of team need I believe. The only positions I don't think we would select one of this year are a CB or FS because it's obvious we are set at the positions with the players we have. I think any of the rest are subject to change.

edit: The draft with us taking Spiller got me thinking. After saying "There's no way we take Spiller @ #9" I think we actually could if Nix/Modrak/Gailey think he's a can't miss type of player.

Everyone has an opinion on what's going on here and this is mine. I think we are going to take the highest rated player on Nix/Modrak/Gailey's board on draft day regardless of team needs. If Spiller is their highest rated player @ #9, I think he will be on the Bills. If it's a RB, a LB, a WR, a DE, a QB, a OT, a OG, a DT, a SS, a C, no matter whatever the position is I think this will be their strategy. They are looking to rebuild this team and will do it with what they feel is the best player available regardless of team need I believe. The only positions I don't think we would select one of this year are a CB or FS because it's obvious we are set at the positions with the players we have. I think any of the rest are subject to change.

You could scour the greatest players from the hollows and anals of the game's rich history, and not improve upon our secondary.

You could scour the greatest players from the hollows and anals of the game's rich history, and not improve upon our secondary.

We don't have Darrell Revis or anything, but our group of CB's and FS positions are the strongsuit of our team IMO.

edit: The draft with us taking Spiller got me thinking. After saying "There's no way we take Spiller @ #9" I think we actually could if Nix/Modrak/Gailey think he's a can't miss type of player.

I just can't see this happening. I hear you on the rankings bit but the Bills desperately need to fill holes at the offensive tackle and nose tackle positions. "Can't miss" is STILL not guaranteed so, if one has to GUESS in the draft you have to WEIGHT your guess on need. My guess is Bulaga, Williams, or Davis or possibly Morgan. Okung will be long gone (could go #2) as will Bradford, Suh and Gerald McCoy.

CB's and Safety's early. Can never have enough of those. Undersized DE. Reaches, projects and character guys. Trade to get a second 1st round pick and draft a QB who is a Collins/Johnson/Losman/Edwards type. Why change now? It's worked so well for so long.

He said 'anals' :wallbash:

I can really see the bills picking C.J Spiller with the first pick and going OT in the 2nd,and NT in the 3rd.There will be no QB there at our pick to build around,Fred Jackson is getting up there in age and HB seem to hit a wall when in there 30s so no long term solution there,and Lynch is to troubled to count on.Gailey loves to run the ball and Spiller will be a nightmare for defensive cordinators to keep in check.Speed kills and Spiller has that .He had 53 TD in college and 34 of them went for over 50 yards.The bills need an idenity and Spiller would give the bills what Peterson,and johnson gave there teams.Having a star HB like that will open up lee evans on more single coverage.If it was up to me i would pick the best LT on the board,but i will understand why the bills pick Spiller if they do.

I don't agree with this opinion.

I think the Bills will select the best player available at a position of need (LT/QB/NT) and if they don't fee that that player is worthy of the #9 overal pick then they will trade down in R1 (acquire additional picks) and then select the best player available from a position of need.

Spiller appears to be a great player in the making. Here is Thurman Thomas, but with a lot more speed (he ran a 4.24 40 at the combine). He looks very fast on film both as a RB and and as a KR/PR. He is also has very good hands. This guy is a difference maker and could actually warrant being selected in the top 10 picks of the draft.

However, I can't see the Bills taking Spiller when they have a dire need at LT and NT and even QB.

From a pure management standpoint, I think you need to look at what players that you can usually acquire (and acquire at a reasonable via FA) and that should play into your draft strategy each year. For instance, it's nearly impossible to find a stud LT or NT in FA because every team will franchise tag them before letting them go. RBs, OTOH, are a dime a dozen.

There are always stud or at least very serviceable RBs available via FA. Just this year guys like T. Jones, LT, C. Taylor, and others were readily available.

That's the MAIN reason why the best must select a LT or NT or QB in R1........because they are not likely to fill these important positions adequately via FA. They cannot hope to compete without very good players at these vital positions.

I can really see the bills picking C.J Spiller with the first pick and going OT in the 2nd,and NT in the 3rd.There will be no QB there at our pick to build around,Fred Jackson is getting up there in age and HB seem to hit a wall when in there 30s so no long term solution there,and Lynch is to troubled to count on.Gailey loves to run the ball and Spiller will be a nightmare for defensive cordinators to keep in check.Speed kills and Spiller has that .He had 53 TD in college and 34 of them went for over 50 yards.The bills need an idenity and Spiller would give the bills what Peterson,and johnson gave there teams.Having a star HB like that will open up lee evans on more single coverage.If it was up to me i would pick the best LT on the board,but i will understand why the bills pick Spiller if they do.

+1

I agree with everything you said.

Who is going to block for Spiller? He is not worth drafting with our lines. A RB or WR at #9 is a luxury because our lines are so bad. We have only 2 returning healthy, legit starters on our O-Line (Hang/Levitre). You cannot justify picking skill guys in round 1 when you cannot block for them. We MUST go O-Line or NT with #9!

Who is going to block for Spiller? He is not worth drafting with our lines. A RB or WR at #9 is a luxury because our lines are so bad. We have only 2 returning healthy, legit starters on our O-Line (Hang/Levitre). You cannot justify picking skill guys in round 1 when you cannot block for them. We MUST go O-Line or NT with #9!

I can't imagine a worse O-line situation than last year and Fred Jackson had over 1400 all purpose yards.