Free Agency Losers

he (and you) are sooo wrong it is pathetic - and i'll tell you why.

wow where to start - this is the worst fa "class" in recent memory - first of all the talent of available players is not great - secondly the cba restrictions have drastically limited what teams "would" do and now what they "cannot" afford to do - thirdly there are so many other teams that have not done anything yet - and some of them are in truly worse shape than we are

now to get the the real meat of the concern here - idiots write things like that to get a raise out of who they are targeting - in this case the bills - why? well nix blasted one of their own (that pos sully-in-your-pants) in a presser and this a part of the pay back - don't expect to see anything good written or said about the bills by the media because of that - period! get over it - and accept that is the way it's going to be - i can live with it because i couldn't care less what they say anyway

continuing on - they write things like that so people will enable their poor professionalism by posting about it and trying to make it look like they are right - they aren't.

which brings me to my last point - because you bought in on this and had the shear brazenness to use tim russert's name to further your misguided post - you should be ashamed of yourself. in fact you do not deserve to use tim russert's name period - he would have seen it for what it is and not even given it a second thought!

Get off your high horse. Mr professionalism! We are at the bottom of the food chain. The sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. Quit being in denial. You think that the reason why we are not active in Free Agency is due to the lack of Free Agency talent. Wow, you truly have bought into the idea that we are a playoff team. Wake up buddy, we have not made the playoffs in 10 years. We do not have top level talent. We need to get it in order to keep up with our division. Out of everyone else in the AFC East, we need the most and are doing the least. Plus we switch to a 3-4, which throws a wrench in our need for finding talent. Here is a list of good players we could get in Free agency that would help turn this sorry franchise around. 1) Joey Porter. He would be perfect at ILB with our 3-4 switch. We would not break the bank to get him. His old LB coach is our new DC. He would fit the need. 2) Chad Clifton. He would be an upgrade at LT, since we have nobody there. Nobody. Bell is hurt. Wood may not be back. You need two LT's we have none. 3) Trading for A Vet QB, possibly Billy Voleck or McNabb. someone who can handle the rush and get rid of the ball when he needs to. 4) Logan Mankins. Another quality Lineman. Hell I's take Incognito. He's a decent player. 5) Elvis Dumervil. If Schobel retires. He's the guy. 6) Shawne Merriman Need I say more. I am sick of hearing people say there isnt enough good talent out there. The good teams go out and find it while teams like us never go out and get it. via the draft or Free agency, so why dont you get pissed at the Front office instead of me pal. Tim Russertt was a big fan, One to be proud of. Yes I used his name. The Bills are at the worst point in their existance. We need some help where ever we can get it. Now why dont you keep thinking we will get by. It's worked so for for you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K. I'm calm now. But we don't know with any certainty that these coaches didn't want to job. Ultimately you and I only know what the media reports to us. I bet they interviewed more than 2 guys.

We know for certainty that at least two marquee coaches didn't want the job even though Bills put on a hard press. We also know that two hot assistants turned Bills down. We also have good speculation that at least one more coach turned Bills down (Harbaugh). As far as we know Marty & Billick didn't get to talk to the Bills. The only candidates that Bills seemed to have turned down after serious interviews were Perry Fewell & Leslie Frazier.

Draw your onw conclusions about that search.

I'm not bashing the Bills, so calm the f**k down.

We've already heard from many of the "unemployed coaches" and they didn't want the job.

If you want to believe that Nix was fielding more than 15 calls a day, yet he only interviewed, what, 2 guys (one who he just fired!)---go ahead.

The claim that the press is out to get Nix because of that goofy press conference is just dumb.

That's all I'm saying, so relax.

dear mr. weo,

i do think you are missing the point - it wasn't that there were or were not 15 calls a day - it was about the message that nix sent to the media (in particular that pos "sully-in-your-pants") - it was a slap in his face and he and other media types didn't like it - period. since that has happened - if you look at the number and level of negative hype being spewed by the press it has been much more than what we normally get.

and btw i preview every post so i know what i am saying and since i have a visual impairment - i need the large font - not you - but i wouldn't even think anyone would consider that.

Get off your high horse. Mr professionalism! 1: We are at the bottom of the food chain. The sooner you realize it, the better off you will be.2: Quit being in denial. 3:You think that the reason why we are not active in Free Agency is due to the lack of Free Agency talent. Wow, you truly have bought into the idea that we are a playoff team. [b:]4: Wake up buddy, we have not made the playoffs in 10 years. We do not have top level talent. We need to get it in order to keep up with our division. Out of everyone else in the AFC East, we need the most and are doing the least.[/b] Plus we switch to a 3-4, which throws a wrench in our need for finding talent. 5: Here is a list of good players we could get in Free agency that would help turn this sorry franchise around. : 1) Joey Porter. He would be perfect at ILB with our 3-4 switch. We would not break the bank to get him. His old LB coach is our new DC. He would fit the need. 2) Chad Clifton. He would be an upgrade at LT, since we have nobody there. Nobody. Bell is hurt. Wood may not be back. You need two LT's we have none. 3) Trading for A Vet QB, possibly Billy Voleck or McNabb. someone who can handle the rush and get rid of the ball when he needs to. 4) Logan Mankins. Another quality Lineman. Hell I's take Incognito. He's a decent player. 5) Elvis Dumervil. If Schobel retires. He's the guy. 6) Shawne Merriman Need I say more. 6: I am sick of hearing people say there isnt enough good talent out there. The good teams go out and find it while teams like us never go out and get it. via the draft or Free agency, 7: so why dont you get pissed at the Front office instead of me pal. Tim Russertt was a big fan, One to be proud of. Yes I used his name. The Bills are at the worst point in their existance. 8: We need some help where ever we can get it. 9: Now why dont you keep thinking we will get by. 10: It's worked so for for you.

point 1: you may be at the bottom of the food chain - i am not - and neither are the bills

point 2: you are confused - denial has nothing to do with it

point 3: you have a continuity issue - the talent level of fa and if we are a playoff team are apples and oranges - nice try though

point 4: your history of the last ten years is accurate - and i havent seen anything in this fa class (and neither has most of the other nfl teams) to make a significant difference in that area

point 5: good research but there has to be both sides agreeing to make it happen. now for specifics - porter would be an ok signing; clifton - pass because i believe that lt will be addressed in the draft; a vet qb is still probably going to happen; mankins and incognito - pass of both; dumervil - i'm on the fence - you may be right; merriman - pass - like lynch one poor decision away from being out of the league for a year.

point 6: i am sorry the truth makes you ill

point 7: i am not pissed at you - just trying to enlighten you some

point 8: i agree with you 100% - but we need quality help not just any help

point 9: we will "get by" - by following the nix/coach gailey plan - in fact we will improve - not overnight - but unlike some i do see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - finally - unlike the previous ten years

point 10: pathetic - just had to throw in a negative demeaning comment - well that does say everything about you and your so-called professionalism i need to know - or that anyone else needs to know as well

and btw when the world was young i was a small boy at the rockpile watching kemp throw to dubbie - so i have been through it all and this even close to the worst we have seen - and i still see a glass half-full - i am sorry for you that you do not

Why are people surprised and pissed? The bills Front Office came out and told everyone they do not believe in the 'Build through FA" approach and would not be big spenders in FA. They said they would build through the draft and maybe some trades. They are doing just that, exactly what they came out and said they would. They are not looking for an overnight fix and have said they are probably not a playoff team next year too cause they are rebuilding this year (and don't give me the crap excuse that they ahve been rebuilding for the last decade cause the new FO has nothing to do with that and can't do anything about that, they need to start at the begining again to hopefully get back to the top)

What on earth is silly about that assertion? I would be shocked if the number of phone calls wasn't higher. Bash the Bills all you would like, but with the number of unemployed coaches out there (big name and the no names alike) I have no doubt they were fielding at least this number of calls a day. Save the "Bills suck" "Bills are a joke" rhetoric because there are only 32 of these positions available and a lot more candidates that that vying for them. Regardless of what you think about the state of the Bills, to be a HC in the NFL is still a coveted position, WITH ANY TEAM. One that immediately makes you worth millions more...

The press were downright dumb in the instance.

PS. Really, who cares about his font size?

exceptional post that points out what would seem to me to be the obvious point here. you have highly competitive people who covet the opportunity to lead a franchise. you probably have on average 2 or 3 positions available in a given year, you have former head coaches who want to coach again, you have college coaches who want to make it at the pro level, you have the hottest/shiny-new-penny def/off coordinators ready to step up. and to boot, you can make a few mill a year if you get the job. i wouldn't think you'd have to post it on monster.com to garner some interest.

i think two issues are at play here. the media being the media, speculating on the front side about what someone may or may not be thinking (Shanahan would NEVER go to Buffalo!) and opining on the backside whatever way they want to spin it (Shanahan would NEVER go to Buffalo because _____). the second issue is that fans react emotionally to business decisions that must occur on the business side of the NFL, when all in all it's just business. True--some teams do it better than others (and Ralph hasn't done a great job blending business with wins), but Ralph would be a frigging moron to ever lose sight of the business of football.

dear mr. weo,

i do think you are missing the point - it wasn't that there were or were not 15 calls a day - it was about the message that nix sent to the media (in particular that pos "sully-in-your-pants") - it was a slap in his face and he and other media types didn't like it - period. since that has happened - if you look at the number and level of negative hype being spewed by the press it has been much more than what we normally get.

and btw i preview every post so i know what i am saying and since i have a visual impairment - i need the large font - not you - but i wouldn't even think anyone would consider that.

Sullivan has always been a tool trust me. He is just the bottom of that food chain. He is always negative first. But, I don't think that all the sports writers got together in a little huddle and said lets bash the Bills. The Bills management has already done that to themselves. In an uncapped year, they just don't want to spend the money.

point 6: i am sorry the truth makes you ill

point 7: i am not pissed at you - just trying to enlighten you some

point 8: i agree with you 100% - but we need quality help not just any help

point 9: we will "get by" - by following the nix/coach gailey plan - in fact we will improve - not overnight - but unlike some i do see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - finally - unlike the previous ten years

point 10: pathetic - just had to throw in a negative demeaning comment - well that does say everything about you and your so-called professionalism i need to know - or that anyone else needs to know as well

Point 6 reply: The truth does not make me ill, The font size you chose does.

Point 7 reply: The only thing you need to enlighten is your nightstand. Make sure you have the clapper, because I have a strange feeling you might slip and break a hip.

Point 8 reply: The bills have too much youth. We need some crafty vets to infuse this talent together. A couple FA's would always help.

Point 9 reply: Your statement is still in denial. I hope your right. I think that Nix and Gailey can do this, but everything they do will be viewed differently by the fans. I dont think they are doing enough. Thats me.

Point 10 reply: I think that what was said was biased. I did not think it was a thought-out response on your part.

New point: Lets not B word at each other. The Bills front office is the one to B word at. As fans, we have been tooled with for too long. It's time they started to build a winner here.

exceptional post that points out what would seem to me to be the obvious point here. you have highly competitive people who covet the opportunity to lead a franchise. you probably have on average 2 or 3 positions available in a given year, you have former head coaches who want to coach again, you have college coaches who want to make it at the pro level, you have the hottest/shiny-new-penny def/off coordinators ready to step up. and to boot, you can make a few mill a year if you get the job. i wouldn't think you'd have to post it on monster.com to garner some interest.

i think two issues are at play here. the media being the media, speculating on the front side about what someone may or may not be thinking (Shanahan would NEVER go to Buffalo!) and opining on the backside whatever way they want to spin it (Shanahan would NEVER go to Buffalo because _____). the second issue is that fans react emotionally to business decisions that must occur on the business side of the NFL, when all in all it's just business. True--some teams do it better than others (and Ralph hasn't done a great job blending business with wins), but Ralph would be a frigging moron to ever lose sight of the business of football.

OK, let's stipulate that every man in America would love to be a HC in the NFL. There's your 15 ("or more") calls a day.

But really, you mention "former head coaches", yet none were interviewed by Nix, other than CG. No college coaches were interviewed. One coordinator was interviewed (not counting Fewell, who was a token interview). Unless, like the other poster, you believe that all of the rest of the former HC's, college HC's and coordinators were interviewed in total secrecy and their identities will never be revealed (really??), you have to ask yourself why Nix would say such a silly thing? And why punish the press for calling him out on it?

Also, logic should tell you that if over a hundred guys have requested interviews with the Bills, why are they all turned down during a weeks long search that settles for a guy who hasn't been an NFL HC in 10 years and who was just fired as OC the season before (a scenario that has never happened in the NFL before)?

If Buddy got all riled up about the press calling out on a foolish claim, he's got a pretty thin skin. It doesn't bose well for him given the team he's inherited.

Stop blaming "the media" for other people's mistakes.

Why in the world would someone write a column about winners and losers in FA when FA is only a week old? Why?

Because it is to ensnare idiots into thinking it means something. I bet his editor told him to write it. No self-respecting journalist, especially Vic, would write an article about FA winners and losers this early on purpose.

Look how bad we have fallen. It's pretty bad when a former Buffalo News Journalist lists you as the Number 1 loser in Free agency. He is clearly right however. Tim Russert would be so-pissed right now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Get off your high horse. Mr professionalism! We are at the bottom of the food chain. The sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. Quit being in denial. You think that the reason why we are not active in Free Agency is due to the lack of Free Agency talent. Wow, you truly have bought into the idea that we are a playoff team. Wake up buddy, we have not made the playoffs in 10 years. We do not have top level talent. We need to get it in order to keep up with our division. Out of everyone else in the AFC East, we need the most and are doing the least. Plus we switch to a 3-4, which throws a wrench in our need for finding talent. Here is a list of good players we could get in Free agency that would help turn this sorry franchise around. 1) Joey Porter. He would be perfect at ILB with our 3-4 switch. We would not break the bank to get him. His old LB coach is our new DC. He would fit the need. 2) Chad Clifton. He would be an upgrade at LT, since we have nobody there. Nobody. Bell is hurt. Wood may not be back. You need two LT's we have none. 3) Trading for A Vet QB, possibly Billy Voleck or McNabb. someone who can handle the rush and get rid of the ball when he needs to. 4) Logan Mankins. Another quality Lineman. Hell I's take Incognito. He's a decent player. 5) Elvis Dumervil. If Schobel retires. He's the guy. 6) Shawne Merriman Need I say more.I am sick of hearing people say there isnt enough good talent out there. The good teams go out and find it while teams like us never go out and get it. via the draft or Free agency, so why dont you get pissed at the Front office instead of me pal. Tim Russertt was a big fan, One to be proud of. Yes I used his name. The Bills are at the worst point in their existance. We need some help where ever we can get it. Now why dont you keep thinking we will get by. It's worked so for for you.

Please say more. This is the most idiotic re building pkan I've ever read. You want to sign 2 RFA's in Dumervil and Merriman who are both tendered at a first and 3rd level. And let's say you somehow by some act of god you managed todo this. You the propose signing Chad Clifton,who's already re signed with the Packers. I literally lost brain cell's reading this.

I'm hoping for a complete opposite approach to the one we took last year. Instead of getting a T.O. in a desperate attempt to sucker would be ticket buyers we build a team smartly. And we may just be doing that. Of course, it's probably take alot more patients than alot of people on this board have, but we have a long road ahead of us. One can only wait and see.

Why in the world would someone write a column about winners and losers in FA when FA is only a week old? Why?

Because it is to ensnare idiots into thinking it means something. I bet his editor told him to write it. No self-respecting journalist, especially Vic, would write an article about FA winners and losers this early on purpose.

Must be a lot of pushy editors out there.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/10/1366919/...-winners-losers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/marvez-early-fa-win

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/358161-...son-to-be-jolly

http://thefastertimes.com/football/2010/03...ssible-rapists/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-f...o&type=lgns

http://cippinonsports.com/2010/03/09/nfl-f...ers-and-losers/

http://nflsoup.com/?p=2123

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-...w&type=lgns

I'll stop there. They do it every year.

What was your point again? Oh yeah, why would they write these articles? Oh yeah--- "to ensnare idiots into thinking it means something."

Looks like you were right.

There is something to be said for credibility at the top of an organization attracting high-end free agents. And the opposite of that can also be a factor, if all else is equal from a money standpoint.

This caught my eye. There is a big difference between Bill Parcells and Buddy Nix. :ph34r:

There is something to be said for credibility at the top of an organization attracting high-end free agents. And the opposite of that can also be a factor, if all else is equal from a money standpoint.

This caught my eye. There is a big difference between Bill Parcells and Buddy Nix. :ph34r:

There's a much bigger difference between Miami, Florida and Buffalo, NY.

Point 6 reply: The truth does not make me ill, The font size you chose does.

Point 7 reply: The only thing you need to enlighten is your nightstand. Make sure you have the clapper, because I have a strange feeling you might slip and break a hip.

Point 8 reply: The bills have too much youth. We need some crafty vets to infuse this talent together. A couple FA's would always help.

Point 9 reply: Your statement is still in denial. I hope your right. I think that Nix and Gailey can do this, but everything they do will be viewed differently by the fans. I dont think they are doing enough. Thats me.

Point 10 reply: I think that what was said was biased. I did not think it was a thought-out response on your part.

New point: Lets not B word at each other. The Bills front office is the one to B word at. As fans, we have been tooled with for too long. It's time they started to build a winner here.

revisited in reverse order:

new point: perhaps you should have started with this - it would aid to making your post look like it's sincere

part 10: it was in fact thought out - and my assessment stands as posted - i can only assess by what is written

part 9: i don't kmow how to express this any clearer - there is no denial because they have not run our organization before and therefore can't be held accountable for the mistakes, and were many, made by the previous gm's/hc's - i simply have more faith in their ability than anyone else that has been there over the past 10 years - i also hope that i am right - otherwise i will not happy in 2/3 years - but i am willing to give them that much time becuase the state of the bills was so poorly cared for

point 8: i agree with you on this - but not willing to sacrifice our youth for just any vets - if we can get vets that will help and are willing to come - im all for it

point 7: hmmm - another demeaning comment. how can i make you understand that you loose credibility when you do that. also i am not as old as you may think - and i assure you that my background was very different than yours - being a retired intelligence officer - in and out of jungles - doing things that you couldnt even imagine - and i also assure you that you would choose different words and a different tone if we were face to face - really you would - not trying to be a tough guy - i hate tough guys - especially internet tough guys - just saying that not everyone appreciates that

point 6: well you must not have read the whole post - because i explained that i have a minor visual problem and i use that size to preview my posts for accuracy - sorry if it offends you - it is for me - not anyone else