Why are We Looking at Players from Losing Teams

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"good teams" have been known to sign our "cast offs"...Greer, Aiken, etc...how does that fit into this assessment that nobody in their right mind would sign players from a bad team?

Valid point, but in this case we're picking up a career journeyman who is past his prime (34), has character issues (beat up the mother of his kids with a broom) and has already played for 1/4 of the teams in the NFL (Falcons, Jets, Dolphins, Broncos, Bucs twice, and Raiders). To me, that is why it doesn't pass the "this guy might be a diamond in the rough" smell test. In the case of the Bills castoffs, we've tended to sign them, develop them, and then let them go (Greer, Aiken, Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Winfield, Jim Leonard, ...). They haven't failed repeatedly in multiple places.

"good teams" have been known to sign our "cast offs"...Greer, Aiken, etc...how does that fit into this assessment that nobody in their right mind would sign players from a bad team?

Hmm....10 years of being a pro...3 years as a starter....plays RT, which we desperately needed, and he is not good?

We would have been better off trading Lynch, Whitner, Mitchell, and Kelsay to get back in the 1st round and take two OL.

We can pay them 6-7 million for 5 years, with a truck load of guaranteed money. Then when they don't work out we can complain for 20 years!!!!

People complain either way. If we grab people from the colts, pats*, and steelers people say "Are you guys nuts? If bellichick is getting rid of him, there HAS to be something wrong with him. Pats* only cut bad players! stay away!"

And then if we grab people from the raiders or chiefs, people complain that they are from losing teams.

I mean, there aren't many options out there. And we do grab players from winning teams. And that doesn't always work out. I am not a huge mitchell hater like a lot of people here, but he came from a superbowl team and he isn't exactly doing anything great here.

And just because the team played bad, doesn't mean the player played bad. Same goes that just because a team played well doesn't mean the player played well. People have to look at the player and stop complaining about the team they are coming from. We are looking at the player, not the team.

People were saying the same thing about the last OL man we took form Oakland....

People were saying the same thing about the last OL man we took form Oakland....

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results- Albert Einstein

The most unfortunate thing about the Cornell Green signing is that if he sucks, you can't blame John Guy anymore. :blink:

Then again, one of John Guy's few success stories was Marcus Price, a career scrub who ended up being decent depth, outplaying Williams at RT, maybe we will get lucky again. This signing doesn't bother me unless he is starting and sucking in Week 1.

this season and likely next season will be a joke. We will see a collection of crap players as stopgaps while the core is built through the draft and maybe a couple existing "gems" that Nix, Whaley, and maybe Gailey pick out for the long term.

Think the 96, or 02-04 Sabres.

They need to reload and I dont think that any vet players we see signed now will really figure in the REAL future plans this team has.

Once the core takes shape, then they should go for the Greers and etc of the Free Agents.

It sucks, but this is what needs to happen. Too much rotting on this team the past 10 years.

the good teams have the luxury of looking at role players to add to their established nucleus and some of them wash out. no big deal if you are good to start with. It is a big deal if you're trying to rebuild with little foundation. these players haven't made the bad team they're coming from winners. are they likely to do that for the Bills? But, they might make a good team better. less likely, they make a bad team a bit better but overall: the rich get richer, the bills get poorer.

You are correct that the Bills have no foundation in place to start with but you are not going to build it through FA. You need to draft correctly, which the old management hasn't , and fill in the pieces with FA's. I don't think the Bills sign guys and overpay them just to fill spots. I think they believe they will help the team. We will not know until after next season.

You are correct that the Bills have no foundation in place to start with but you are not going to build it through FA. You need to draft correctly, which the old management hasn't , and fill in the pieces with FA's. I don't think the Bills sign guys and overpay them just to fill spots. I think they believe they will help the team. We will not know until after next season.

no doubt there trying to help the team with this move but it seems with moves like this they are content in going from awful to just bad. After 10 years of sheit, is that enough for you? maybe this kinda signing is the best they can do but they could at least publicly try a little harder to attract some names that even people on this board don't have to google to identify.

To all of you that B word so much.

If you all KNOW so !@#$ing much why the hell are you on this board and not in some front office picking players for some NFL team?

Most of us aren't nearly old enough to hold that position with the Bills. Maybe after I retire they'll give me a look.

Greer, Aiken, Hargrove, Leonard, Clements, Winfield, Wire, Malloy, Pat Williams... :blink:

Fletcher, Spikes, and what the heck, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed.

We got Mitchell from the Super Bowl Champion Giants, he hasn't done much.

this season and likely next season will be a joke. We will see a collection of crap players as stopgaps while the core is built through the draft and maybe a couple existing "gems" that Nix, Whaley, and maybe Gailey pick out for the long term.

Think the 96, or 02-04 Sabres.

They need to reload and I dont think that any vet players we see signed now will really figure in the REAL future plans this team has.

Once the core takes shape, then they should go for the Greers and etc of the Free Agents.

It sucks, but this is what needs to happen. Too much rotting on this team the past 10 years.

[/quote

I think the "core" is rotten. :blink: