So this upcoming year will be McKelvins 3rd year

McKelvin was given the starting job last year when he probably should have been the nickel corner which he def should be this year...hopefully he can still be the kick returner he was before the injury

expect him to play like a guy coming back from a season ending knee injury, he'll lack some explosion, prob. wont be as quick, for now, but eventually esp if he stays healthy that should be back by week 12 or so, hopefully he has learned how to study the tape and scout his opponents, he should be pretty solid if he does that.

he played like 1 game?? I could outplay him if he had a broken leg

I know.....I love all these people that come out here and say that McKelvin has been a bust and that DF out-played him and that he will never amount to anything. FACT IS, he had a pretty good rookie year and played all of 1 full game and maybe a Quarter of the 2nd game before getting injured.

All that being said, even though, technically, this will be his 3rd year, with him missing pretty much the entire season last year it is almost like going into his second season all over again.

Relax everyone......he is VERY YOUNG and has a bright future. This year will not "make or break" him in any way. My guess.....he comes back strong and has a VERY solid year. He has a lot of talent and I think he will be a player for us for many years!

Is anybody else concerned that Drayton Florence outplayed him?

I am

I'm not quite sure that I'm CONCERNED about it. It just means we have another really good CB. I think McKelvin will be just fine, as long as he stays healthy. Florence is a good CB, I would make a concerted effort to give him an extension. Having McGee, McKelvin, Florence, and Byrd locked up for the next 3 years puts a smile on my face. At least DJ put together a good secondary.

He played well the last half of his rookie year. We would have seen another great step up with whole season last year.

He did not have a knee but a lower leg fracture. I saw him at the Falcons game (he was in the same row). That day we could have used him as we were getting torched. He said he was recovering well and would be ready. That was the sum total of our conversation--me not wanting to be a 50 year old jock sniffer.

I think he's a player and the thing that impressed me the most is that his teammates pregame (Poz, Wilson, Byrd, Florence, Whitner, McGee, Stroud, Kelsay, Maybin) all were excited to see him walking without a limp. He is a talent with breakaway speed -- that won't be impacted by the fracture. I think you will see another leap forward.

We are so deep in the secondary. Whitner is as a good as gone--and I wouldn't be shocked to see another corner go with him in a trade. McKelvin however I believe will blossom as both a returner and corner this year. Look at the 2008 KC game and the Chicago Preseason game last year...he has the speed, cover skills to be a shut down.

The thing about Leodis that concerns me is I never really considered him the brightest bulb on the tree but was just an incredible athlete.

Its kind of like a QB who has relied on a cannon arm to get by and not really refining his techniqe because he didn't need to.....I figure Leodis will lose some explosion so I hope to god that he is working on his technique.

Sometimes these things can end up being a blessing because it FORCES a player to work on their technique....pursuit angles etc.

he will be fine. i wasnt very high on this pick when we drafted him but compared to some other high draft picks weve made ex. (the twitter twins) maybin and whitner, the mckelvin pick looks like a stroke of genius. At least he is one of our 1st round picks thats actually good enough to start

I know.....I love all these people that come out here and say that McKelvin has been a bust and that DF out-played him and that he will never amount to anything. FACT IS, he had a pretty good rookie year and played all of 1 full game and maybe a Quarter of the 2nd game before getting injured.

All that being said, even though, technically, this will be his 3rd year, with him missing pretty much the entire season last year it is almost like going into his second season all over again.

Relax everyone......he is VERY YOUNG and has a bright future. This year will not "make or break" him in any way. My guess.....he comes back strong and has a VERY solid year. He has a lot of talent and I think he will be a player for us for many years!

not to mention he came out of Troy...a small school where his developtment is expected to be slower.

What we should fear more than his "bust" potential is that some locals vandalized his property because he messed up a play. Can you see him in a few years, after proving how good he can be, and then moving to another team, remembering how the people in Buffalo are crazy? Give him time, he's young and talented, and I'm glad we've got three capable corners.

Well, if Dick Levy were here still, I would expect the Bills to be drafting his replacement in the 1st round to groom for a year. Then we lose McKelvin, then next year we draft a 1st round CB to groom as a replacement for the guy we drafted this year, et cetera, et cetera.

Let's see if Buddy and Chan keep the streak alive!