Dez Bryant 2.0

Hey Darth Ice, how ridiculous does drafting Dez Bryant look right now? Dude, everyone's got him 3rd or 4th on their overall draft board, he looks like a combination of Andre Johnson and TO in his prime, he's got Randy Moss written all over him in the sense that he's gonna fall ia little bit due to off-field issues. This past week, Darth, you said that LB was a greater need than WR? Not that there's any future hall-of-famers amongst them, but we now have Poz, Mitchell, Schobel, Maybin, Ellis, Kelsay, Harris and Ellison. Best player available. It's more than likely gonna be Bryant. I'm now officially all about it.

Hey Darth Ice, how ridiculous does drafting Dez Bryant look right now? Dude, everyone's got him 3rd or 4th on their overall draft board, he looks like a combination of Andre Johnson and TO in his prime, he's got Randy Moss written all over him in the sense that he's gonna fall ia little bit due to off-field issues. This past week, Darth, you said that LB was a greater need than WR? Not that there's any future hall-of-famers amongst them, but we now have Poz, Mitchell, Schobel, Maybin, Ellis, Kelsay, Harris and Ellison. Best player available. It's more than likely gonna be Bryant. I'm now officially all about it.

No. We need to address QB and the lines before WR. We are not going to take Bryant at #9 you can forget about that. Now if it were the morons Donahoe, or Levy or Brandon...you would have a point and he would be the pick due to their pure stupidity. But this is Buddy Nix and Company, no way they take a WR with NO QB to throw them the ball, no NT to start our 3-4 defense and no LT.

If the top 8 spots are taken by 3 OT's, 2 DT's, 2 QB's, 1 LB it would be very hard to pass on Bryant.

If that actually happened, there would almost certainly be some great trade-down opportunities with teams salivating over Berry and Haden.

Or we could stay put and draft Derrick Morgan, whom Gailey recruited.

Not sure Morgan fits the system, but even if he does, IMO if we miss out on the top OT's and QB's, trading down and getting more picks is the best move for the team.

No. We need to address QB and the lines before WR. We are not going to take Bryant at #9 you can forget about that. Now if it were the morons Donahoe, or Levy or Brandon...you would have a point and he would be the pick due to their pure stupidity. But this is Buddy Nix and Company, no way they take a WR with NO QB to throw them the ball, no NT to start our 3-4 defense and no LT.

DEMARYIUS THOMAS IN THE 2nd or 3rd!!!

I bet he ends up being better than Bryant. (and Gailey knows him!)

DEMARYIUS THOMAS IN THE 2nd or 3rd!!!

I bet he ends up being better than Bryant. (and Gailey knows him!)

I don't know but I wouldn't be too surprised if Gailey did pull the trigger on this guy if he had the opportunity since of the connection. As long as he isn't passing up on a player who we could use a lot more :thumbsup:

Sorry Madden Buffs, Nix isn't stupid enough to take a WR when we have greater needs

Not many. How come everybody has suddenly abandoned the "best player available" theory? What if the Ravens were like, "yeah this Ray Lewis guy looks pretty good, but linebacker isn't our greatest need?" If Dez Bryant looks like a complete beast, a franchise-changing guy, you gotta take him.

IMO, WR is the least important position in football. A good QB with an OL that can block and a solid TE. WRs and RBs can be plugged in. Teams are not built around WRs - not SB winning teams anyways.

You have a point. Miami made the playoffs two years ago with zero at wide receiver. The Baltimore Ravens are a playoff team with very little at the position. Both teams are held back by their lack of downfield weapons but both teams have made the playoffs, too.

Not many. How come everybody has suddenly abandoned the "best player available" theory? What if the Ravens were like, "yeah this Ray Lewis guy looks pretty good, but linebacker isn't our greatest need?" If Dez Bryant looks like a complete beast, a franchise-changing guy, you gotta take him.

If there was a worst-case scenario watching the dominos fall towards our pick at #9, then hopefully there is a trade-down option. If not, and all our targeted players are taken, we might be forced to take a player like Bryant.

This ALMOST happened to us last year with Michael Crabtree...who by the way, looks like he's going to be a very exceptional player.

Yeah we'd hate to pick a non-need player but if all the guys Nix and company have targeted at that pick are gone...and there's no trade-down option...you have to take the best football player available.

The Bills still drafted Jim Kelly even though Joe Ferguson still looked like a solid starter at the time. Can you imagine if we'd passed up on Kelly because we thought we were set at quarterback?

I don't think that WRs can be franchise changing guys without a competent QB to throw to them. I'm not knocking Bryant, just the idea of the Bills investing a 1st rounder on him given their current situation. And yes, I know that Reed and Owens won't be back but we have greater needs to address with our #1, like the offensive line for one.

WR is about our 5th or 6th priority. Bryant is a talent, but he's not 3rd or 4th, he's 7th to 12th on most draft boards.

And even if he were 3rd or 4th on most boards, no thanks.

Or we could stay put and draft Derrick Morgan, whom Gailey recruited.

He's unlikely for us now, he's too small to be a 3 - 4 DE and not small enough to be the pass-rushing OLB in this scheme. In the 4 - 3, he's a great prospect, but in the 3 - 4, he's a tweener who might not fit.

I wanted Morgan when we were in a 4 - 3, especially if Schobel retired, but now I don't see it.

I don't think that WRs can be franchise changing guys without a competent QB to throw to them. I'm not knocking Bryant, just the idea of the Bills investing a 1st rounder on him given their current situation. And yes, I know that Reed and Owens won't be back but we have greater needs to address with our #1, like the offensive line for one.

Though I'm not for taking Bryant, I have to agree with MetzelaarsLives on this one point. Who cares if we have the QB to throw to him? You don't draft Bryant for 2010, you draft him for a long and hopefully illustrious career. Hell, first-year WRs rarely do anything anyway. You have to figure that sooner or later there will be a QB to throw to him, so if he looks like the best pick, you don't change up because of the no-QB factor.

You draft recievers (and everyone else) for the long run, especially when you're rebuilding. Which is why drafting a QB though the team is without an LT is NOT a mistake.

The reason for not drafting Bryant would be the priorities argument, because WR is not a high priority on this team.

WR is about our 5th or 6th priority. Bryant is a talent, but he's not 3rd or 4th, he's 7th to 12th on most draft boards.

No thanks.

Difference: Todd McShay, for instance, has him as the 3rd overall player available, but doesn't necessarily have him going 3rd because of team's needs and his off field issues.

And to agree with that other guy- in the last 3 or 4 years, there have been two guys- Calvin Johnson and to a lesser extent, Michael Crabtree, who have been can't miss, holy s*** these guys are gonna be sick, type players. Guess what, they're both sick or on the verge of being sick (in Crabtree's case). I would put Bryant right there with Johnson and above Crabtree coming out. Hey, what happened the last time we took a can't miss behemoth tackle in the top ten?

If the top 8 spots are taken by 3 OT's, 2 DT's, 2 QB's, 1 LB it would be very hard to pass on Bryant.

if that were the case, I'd trade down to the team that wants Eric Berry the most. SF sure could use him, and they draft a few spots after us. get one of their 1sts and maybe a 2nd, would be the ultimate.

If your picking 3rd or 4th, your QB sucks (unless you have a rookie you recently drafted, in which case he may not suck someday). Awful teams not named the "Lions" don't take WRs in the top 3. Every year there will be a "once in a lifetime" college WR prospect.

Why get rid of TO and take some rookie WR at a higher price this year?

Not liking what I'm reading about Bryant...

Bryant comes with a caveat emptor tag

“I wouldn’t draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games,” one source said.

A second source said Bryant’s reputation was earned because he was consistently late to team activities. That included showing up late for games.

“We’re not just talking about being a little late for warmups, but like being late for the actual game,” a source said with a chuckle. “When you start to hear some of the stories of there, you go, ‘He did what?’ ”

This on top of lying to NCAA investigators about rules violations makes me very leery about wanting the Bills to have anything to do with the guy.

Not liking what I'm reading about Bryant...

Bryant comes with a caveat emptor tag

This on top of lying to NCAA investigators about rules violations makes me very leery about wanting the Bills to have anything to do with the guy.

Dude he's a kid. Bruce Smith fell asleep at the wheel drunk in the middle of an intersection after he was already retired. Dominik Hasek got a DUI by my house going 70 in a 35 when he was winning Hart Trophies. Ooooh I'm scared about an NCAA rules violation...

Dude he's a kid. Bruce Smith fell asleep at the wheel drunk in the middle of an intersection after he was already retired. Dominik Hasek got a DUI by my house going 70 in a 35 when he was winning Hart Trophies. Ooooh I'm scared about an NCAA rules violation...

But showing up late to games? I don't want to have someone who is supposed to be my new stud WR not showing up on Sunday...

This kid has got Randy Moss written all over him. He's gonna fall to 18th or something because he took a free cell phone and someone's gonna walk away with the steal of the draft. I'll take your NCAA rules violations and raise you an invite to watch some of his highlights on youtube. He's built like TO in his prime with more speed.

This kid has got Randy Moss written all over him. He's gonna fall to 18th or something because he took a free cell phone and someone's gonna walk away with the steal of the draft. I'll take your NCAA rules violations and raise you an invite to watch some of his highlights on youtube. He's built like TO in his prime with more speed.

And when those violations turn into suspensions there won't be a highlight reel. I'm not questioning his talent or ability, just his focus and desire. He doesn't seem to be that serious, but hey maybe he grows up. I just don't think the Bills should be making that kind of risk when there are bigger problems to take care of in the draft.

This thread is dumb because we're not taking Bryant. Nix seems to be a pretty sharp guy so an argument is moot for either case. Sorry but it's not happening and yes I'll wager on it.

Agreed. There is a snowballs chance in hell we take him.

Agreed. There is a snowballs chance in hell we take him.

there is the possibility that the top 4 linemen, 2 QB's, and 2 DT's are gone when we select. Who then? McClain? Williams? Berry? Bryant?