Terrance Cody Down to 354lbs

He had a major incentive to keep his weight down for the post season games and he couldn't do it.

I can only surmise that the post season games weren't as important to him as the Combine. At least in terms of his weight. He probably figured his play on the field would do the talking in the games while the Combine is all about numbers.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta be a weight clause in whatever contract he signs. he'll go 20-25 now.

The problem is that once you've drafted the guy, you have totally lost the leverage to have extra weight clauses in his contract.

Teams normally have weight clauses for many guys, but the penalties for not making the weights are low, a few hundred a week, maybe a thousand a week, and only at the start of camp and during the season. It's nothing for most of the first-rounders. That will be there for Cody.

But as for extra weight clauses, why would Cody sign a contract with that in it? His agent will fight it, hard. Do you really want a holdout for a guy desperately in need of conditioning?

And as others have said, losing that 16 pounds over the course of three weeks won't make all that much difference. It just spotlights his pattern of fluctuating up and down. Won't move him up all that much, unless he continues to lose weight right up to the draft. Even holding steady up till the draft would move him up a bit, but one weigh-in shows nothing.

I don't see it. His ideal weight would be somewhere around 340 or so, according to both him and Saban, his college coach. This just means he can drop weight for a week or two. It doesn't mean he can ever get to his best weight, and it doesn't show that he is likely to keep weight off.

I wish him the best, but don't think this will help a great deal.

What about the fact that he started this weightloss process two years ago at 410?

I can only surmise that the post season games weren't as important to him as the Combine. At least in terms of his weight. He probably figured his play on the field would do the talking in the games while the Combine is all about numbers.

my guess is they were important but it was a kid learning how to maintain weight still. No practice everyday, probably went home for awhile. Cut a couple corners and realized he couldn't do that. Got strict with himself and lost the weight back.

A kid learning how to lose weight is going to have hiccups. He was in a process of learning how to do that -- total 2 year weightloss 410 -- 354 for a total of 56 lbs. Have we every seen a kid make a change like that? I can't recall any, but it does t mean it hasn't happened...

The problem is that once you've drafted the guy, you have totally lost the leverage to have extra weight clauses in his contract.

Teams normally have weight clauses for many guys, but the penalties for not making the weights are low, a few hundred a week, maybe a thousand a week, and only at the start of camp and during the season. It's nothing for most of the first-rounders. That will be there for Cody.

But as for extra weight clauses, why would Cody sign a contract with that in it? His agent will fight it, hard. Do you really want a holdout for a guy desperately in need of conditioning?

And as others have said, losing that 16 pounds over the course of three weeks won't make all that much difference. It just spotlights his pattern of fluctuating up and down. Won't move him up all that much, unless he continues to lose weight right up to the draft. Even holding steady up till the draft would move him up a bit, but one weigh-in shows nothing.

you make the weigh clause worth his while. i know pat williams has a weigh clause in his contract worth a bunch of cash and i think is part of the reason he was taking the diuretic that he got busted for.

Really the only thing that baffles my mind is that people really expect a 410lbs'er to get to 340 lbs within 2 years withou ANY weight fluctuations along the way. I really can't begin to imagine that as a linear process no matter how much motivation you have.

He had a major incentive to keep his weight down for the post season games and he couldn't do it.

I agree. He could have taken diuretics the night before to help lose weight. Also, as mentioned he is motivated for the payday. Will he be motivated for the career?

Great point. I agree that his conditioning is very poor. IMO, a first round DT needs to be a three down player.

One of the questions I have about his conditioning is did saban use that last cutoff to keep him working, not becuase he couldn't play more snaps? If the dropoff in pass rush to the backup is slim to none, and you can use that as incentive to keep Cody working.... Maybe he is better conditioned then his snap count would reflect. Just to say this was his snap count, he was a fat lazy slob is a jump also.

I'm not saying I'm right your wrong on the conditioning, just offering an alternative.

As for the diuretics -- isn't the combine where the first test happens? Also, how much weight are you proposing he lost overnight?

my guess is they were important but it was a kid learning how to maintain weight still. No practice everyday, probably went home for awhile. Cut a couple corners and realized he couldn't do that. Got strict with himself and lost the weight back.

A kid learning how to lose weight is going to have hiccups. He was in a process of learning how to do that -- total 2 year weightloss 410 -- 354 for a total of 56 lbs. Have we every seen a kid make a change like that? I can't recall any, but it does t mean it hasn't happened...

What would be good to know is the actual weight he played at during his senior season. And whether the extra weight he had at the Senior Bowl affected him.

You just can't win around here. First he was a loser because he couldn't even get is weight under control when his future and millions of dollars depended on it (senior bowl). Then when he does get his weight down when his future and millions of dollars depend on it (combine) he's still a loser because he only did it because his future and millions of dollars depended on it!

And he was the same dominating presence in every game he played in, including his post season games THAT HE WON. So what does his weight during those games have to do with anything?

Screw it, he should go undrafted and then come crawling into Buffalo on his hands and knees begging for a chance to sign with the team. If he does that, then MAYBE he's worth it. MAYBE.

Adam_Schefter RT @MoveTheSticks: Terrence Cody weighed 354 lbs (That's big news for the big guy. It'll get him in the scouts' good graces again)

Unfortunately could get him back into the first round and out of the Bills range.

the only way I touch the guy is with a major contract clause that he keeps his weight in a certain range.

How many NFL players are listed at their 'real' weight? I'm guessing 375 is a more realistic number. There's a lot of tricks to 'making weight'.

I can't believe how many people don't want a 350-370 lb NT who will be the biggest NT in the NFL clogging up the middle. Haven't we learned anything from 4 years of watching our undersized Dline get blown up almost every snap?

Believe me, I'd love to get a guy like Cody. But if he eats himself out of the league, he does the Bills no good.

What I want to see is how his numbers compare to the top NT's' Combine numbers. Although anything other than extreme differences won't mean much.

How many NFL players are listed at their 'real' weight? I'm guessing 375 is a more realistic number. There's a lot of tricks to 'making weight'.

I might be misunderstanding but are you implying that the senior bowl or combine weighins were wrong?

Or were you saying he was never 410?

I might be misunderstanding but are you implying that the senior bowl or combine weighins were wrong?

Or were you saying he was never 410?

No, he's saying that NFL players, specifically linemen, rarely ever play at their listed weight, and are usually scores of pounds heavier.

No, he's saying that NFL players, specifically linemen, rarely ever play at their listed weight, and are usually scores of pounds heavier.

Thought it was common knowledge like boxers who use tricks to drop pounds before a weigh in and then go back up to their actual weight.

Yea, that's very much true.... but in reply to my statement that he went from 410 to 354, saying more realistically 375 was a head scratcher....

The reply after yours about boxers also implies there's some sort of trickery (ie diuretics, not eating for a little bit). 20 lbs is not a trick, 56 lbs was not a trick either.