If we trade Whitner...

Alphadawg7

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that'd be a nightmare, and prob wont happen. but if it does you pick the 5th best OT.

Okung, Bulaga, Davis, Williams, Campbell

17 career starts for Campbell. Sounds like Maybin 2.0. And there is a chance that scenerio might play out. Chiefs, Seahawks, Skins, Raiders, Detroit- all desperately need offensive lineman. And no way do Suh or McCoy slide far. Bradford I think is a guarantee to be off the board by our selection. My guess is Claussen slides pretty far on draft day- unless some dumb team...ahem...over reaches for him

despite bucking the trend with whitner, and sean taylor, traditionally safety is not a premium top 5 or 10 position. Also, i'm not a proponent of taking a LB that high either, so if bulaga, or okung or davis isnt available, id really try to trade down

Exactly, that is how good Berry is that he is considered a top three pick, and some scouts feel he is the best player in the entire draft. So how do you pass on him at #9 if the top tackles are gone?

Actually, seeing 3 or 4 tackles going top 8 is more possible than you think...

if that really happened, maybe you look at Dan Williams for NT, and possibly trade back a bit to make it better value, and hope like crazy that Bell & Meredith can step up.

Well, this discussion is similar to last year's when we were debating what to do if Aaron Curry or Michael Crabtree slid down to us.

That didn't happen but had it, we certainly would have been better off drafting them (best player available) than who we did (need pick).

The question is really an academic one:

Do you take a player at a position of NO need if he is by far the best player available?

Exactly, that is how good Berry is that he is considered a top three pick, and some scouts feel he is the best player in the entire draft. So how do you pass on him at #9 if the top tackles are gone?

we dont need a safety, i understand he's highly rated, we did this a few yrs ago, it didnt work, we do not need to pick a safety at #9, there will be an OT available. if anything we need a corner that can play press man coverage, not a safety

There isnt a scout on Earth that would not rank Berry the hands down best player available at #9...

He is by far the best player still available at #9 if he slips. Doesnt mean he fills our biggest need, but if we trade Whitner and he falls, then he does fill a need.

Would you pass on Ed Reed at #9? I think not, and that who he is constantly compared to...

Wasn't Whitner supposed to be such a player? How many times would you willfully make the same mistake?

if that really happened, maybe you look at Dan Williams for NT, and possibly trade back a bit to make it better value, and hope like crazy that Bell & Meredith can step up.

So let me get this straight...if what is considered by just about everyone as one of the top 3 players, and by some the top player, available in this draft is there at #9, you would rather reach for a NT (when our DT's are not that bad to begin with) than take him?

LOL...Brilliant... :nana:

And dont get me wrong, I would love to see us get one of the top OT's, but I really dont think one will be there

Wasn't Whitner supposed to be such a player? How many times would you willfully make the same mistake?

Whitner was a joke of a selection. I believe the board crashed with all of us posting "what the !@#$ was that selection?". Comparing Whitner to Berry is like comparing Mike Williams to Anthony Munoz

What? No offense, but what draft were you watching? Whitner wasnt even the top safety in that draft, and NO ONE had him going top 10 or even top 15...Many fans hadnt even heard of him. He in no way had the same level of hype and grade going into the draft...

here's the reason this whole scenario will not happen-

if Berry's good enough for us to take him regardless of our other needs, and based on him being best player avail, then why wouldn't any of the other 8 teams pick him? Especially Clevland.

Despite the hate he gets here, Whitner is a good safety. The only reason you trade him is because you have depth that can replace him. Trading Whitner to draft another safety is like dumping your girlfriend to date her mother. It won't make sense.

I like best player available to a certain extent. IMO, the BPA for the Bills should be only chosen from these positions: QB, OT, DT, and LB. Anything else is just spinning your wheels.

Well, this discussion is similar to last year's when we were debating what to do if Aaron Curry or Michael Crabtree slid down to us.

That didn't happen but had it, we certainly would have been better off drafting them (best player available) than who we did (need pick).

The question is really an academic one:

Do you take a player at a position of NO need if he is by far the best player available?

Well, I wouldnt call safety a non need, especially if we trade Whitner...Even if we dont trade Whitner prior to the draft, we could still trade him during if Berry fell to us and pick up a 3rd or a 4th for him to fill other holes...

Whitner was a joke of a selection. I believe the board crashed with all of us posting "what the !@#$ was that selection?". Comparing Whitner to Berry is like comparing Mike Williams to Anthony Munoz

Berry is the much hyped player and was very good his first 2 years. But Whitner probably had a better last college season than Berry. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146160

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=235998

Well, I wouldnt call safety a non need, especially if we trade Whitner...Even if we dont trade Whitner prior to the draft, we could still trade him during if Berry fell to us and pick up a 3rd or a 4th for him to fill other holes...

safety's a non-need at this point for the Bills, with Wilson and Scott, when there is almost zero starting-caliber tackles, NT, and QB. And who knows about OLB.

Which sounds better: starting safties Berry and Bryd and staying pat with our front 7 on defense or starting safties Bryd and Wilson and either starting ILB McClain or possible starting NT Dan Williams?

Despite the hate he gets here, Whitner is a good safety. The only reason you trade him is because you have depth that can replace him. Trading Whitner to draft another safety is like dumping your girlfriend to date her mother. It won't make sense.

I like best player available to a certain extent. IMO, the BPA for the Bills should be only chosen from these positions: QB, OT, DT, and LB. Anything else is just spinning your wheels.

When you trade (and it hasn't happened yet) an 8th pick four seasons after taking him, that's an indication the guy was a disappointment. Depth wouldn't matter because the guy would be your top player at their position. Whitner isn't, and it's why he'll get cut, dealt for picks, or take a seat on the bench.

Berry is the much hyped player and was very good his first 2 years. But Whitner probably had a better last college season than Berry. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146160

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=235998

College production doesn't mean much when considering what kind of pro career they'll have. There's a laundry list of top QB's who were drafted for their numbers, and it didn't work out. Ware, Klingler, Detmer, Couch, Torretta. RB's as well, to include several Heisman winners. Even guys like USF DE George Selvie, who was talked about as a first rounder last year for their production, were shown that it wouldn't transition to the pros. Now he's probably a mid rounder.