If we trade Whitner...

Alphadawg7

Lets say this rumored trade goes through (although I am doubtful it will) and we trade Whitner to Was for Campbell. Obvioiusly we are no longer an option to take a QB first round, so the obvious most likely candidate would be an OT.

That being said, there is a lot of buzz that OT could go on a run in the top 10, and if they do, the OT available to us at #9 may not really be a guy you would grade out to take at #9.

In the event this happens and that causes Eric Berry to fall to us at #9 (I have seen 2 mock drafts now showing him slipping to #11 to Jax) would we take him and should we take him? He is being compared to Ed Reed and is most often projected in the top 5.

Berry isnt the biggest guy, but he can lay some hits (see the highlight of him lighting up Knowshon Moreno).

I still think he doesnt fall and I still think we should go OT, but man, if this guy falls to #9 he will easily be the best player still available by a mile.

Immediate reaction would be: "Geezus, not another DB"...but Berry isnt no ordinary prospect, this kid is an Elite prospect and if we traded Whitner would still have to fill that hole.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no way. there's about 4-5 top notch OT's, and any one of them will be a good #9 pick.

it's not like EVERYONE before us will take a tackle and pass on Suh, McCoy, Berry, Bradford & Clausen. and if they do, we snag Bradford, no Berry.

Lets say this rumored trade goes through (although I am doubtful it will) and we trade Whitner to Was for Campbell. Obvioiusly we are no longer an option to take a QB first round, so the obvious most likely candidate would be an OT.

That being said, there is a lot of buzz that OT could go on a run in the top 10, and if they do, the OT available to us at #9 may not really be a guy you would grade out to take at #9.

In the event this happens and that causes Eric Berry to fall to us at #9 (I have seen 2 mock drafts now showing him slipping to #11 to Jax) would we take him and should we take him? He is being compared to Ed Reed and is most often projected in the top 5.

Berry isnt the biggest guy, but he can lay some hits (see the highlight of him lighting up Knowshon Moreno).

I still think he doesnt fall and I still think we should go OT, but man, if this guy falls to #9 he will easily be the best player still available by a mile.

Immediate reaction would be: "Geezus, not another DB"...but Berry isnt no ordinary prospect, this kid is an Elite prospect and if we traded Whitner would still have to fill that hole.

Yes, he is the best player available. Unless by some miracle Suh or McCoy are there.

no way. there's about 4-5 top notch OT's, and any one of them will be a good #9 pick.

it's not like EVERYONE before us will take a tackle and pass on Suh, McCoy, Berry, Bradford & Clausen. and if they do, we snag Bradford, no Berry.

There isnt 5 OT worthy of the 9 spot for one...and in my example I said if there is a run on OT, meaning the top 3 are gone and maybe even 4...

Top 8 could easily be McCoy, Suh, Bradford, Clausen and 3 or 4 Tackles...

no, its not a position of need AND he would not be the best player available. with huge holes at LT,RT,NT,DT/DE, OLB,ILB there is absolutely no good reason he should be picked by buffalo

There isnt a scout on Earth that would not rank Berry the hands down best player available at #9...

He is by far the best player still available at #9 if he slips. Doesnt mean he fills our biggest need, but if we trade Whitner and he falls, then he does fill a need.

Would you pass on Ed Reed at #9? I think not, and that who he is constantly compared to...

I agree with drafting the best player available but only to a point. This team has so many holes to fill and could literally justify drafting at any position, other than the secondary IMO. If they were to be aggressive in FA and bring in alot of good players, I'd be more okay with the pick.

There isnt a scout on Earth that would not rank Berry the hands down best player available at #9...

He is by far the best player still available at #9 if he slips. Doesnt mean he fills our biggest need, but if we trade Whitner and he falls, then he does fill a need.

Would you pass on Ed Reed at #9? I think not, and that who he is constantly compared to...

I would pass on ed reed if I already had my starting safeties set and had all those holes on both sides of the line.

no, its not a position of need AND he would not be the best player available. with huge holes at LT,RT,NT,DT/DE, OLB,ILB there is absolutely no good reason he should be picked by buffalo

You ignore a major problem with your post...NO Defensive Lineman are likely available at #9 worthy of taking at #9...I seriously doubt we will go LB at #9, although it could be possible. So, we are back to OT or something else...and in the scenario I just painted above, there are no top Tackles left as the first 8 players could VERY easily be Suh, McCoy, Bradford, Claussen and a 3 or 4 OT's...

So, its easy to point at holes, but if no one is there worthy of #9 to fill those holes and an Elite player like Berry is, who would now fill a hole because in this scenario we traded Whitner, what do you do?

No way we reach for some late round pick and ignore at top 3 talent because we have a slightly bigger hole somewhere...Thats how we got Whitner when we reached for him over Ngata...

I would pass on ed reed if I already had my starting safeties set and had all those holes on both sides of the line.

Thats why you are not a GM...I seriously doubt there is a single personnel guy in the entire NFL that would pass on Ed Reed at #9 when they just traded away one of their starting safeties (Whitner) in the scenario I just posted...In fact, I would bet money that no GM would pass on Ed Reed even if they both had Whitner and Byrd...

pass on a sure fire first ballot HOFer for a chance that some tackle in the draft might be able to start for the Bills. Brilliant!

I agree. And there is a possibility the top 4 OT, suh, McCoy, and both QBs are gone. Then who do you select?

that'd be a nightmare, and prob wont happen. but if it does you pick the 5th best OT.

Okung, Bulaga, Davis, Williams, Campbell

I think the decision has to be made independently of any Whitner trade. The improvement from George Wilson to Eric Berry isn't really any different than Whitner to Berry, so if he's worth having without Whitner, he's almost certainly worth having with Whitner.

Yeah, thats probably true. So, that poses the question if the top 3 or 4 OT are gone by #9 and we still have Whitner, do we take Berry if he is still there? Or at the very least explore a trade down for someone licking their chops to get him.

The Bills should put a trade in place for Whitner for a 3rd round pick with the contingency that Berry falls...if he falls, then draft Berry and trade Whitner. Whitner I think could fetch a third, atleast a 4th...he gets more respect outiside of Buffalo...

Even if we don't trade Whitner, I've thought about Berry at the 9 spot. From what I hear, he is just a freakish athlete of the Polamalu/Reed variety. He would be the best value pick at 9. Overall, I would find it hard for me to take an OT if 3 are already off the board. Besides McClain, who I think the LB position can be filled in FA, there isn't a position we need that wouldn't be a huge reach at 9.

So yeah, unless the top two OT's are there, I'm cool with trading back. If not, then Berry is my pick. If he is what people think he is, then the idea of Byrd and Berry for years to come is very exciting. And no, Bradford will not be there. The Rams are going to take him, mark my words.

You ignore a major problem with your post...NO Defensive Lineman are likely available at #9 worthy of taking at #9...I seriously doubt we will go LB at #9, although it could be possible. So, we are back to OT or something else...and in the scenario I just painted above, there are no top Tackles left as the first 8 players could VERY easily be Suh, McCoy, Bradford, Claussen and a 3 or 4 OT's...

So, its easy to point at holes, but if no one is there worthy of #9 to fill those holes and an Elite player like Berry is, who would now fill a hole because in this scenario we traded Whitner, what do you do?

No way we reach for some late round pick and ignore at top 3 talent because we have a slightly bigger hole somewhere...Thats how we got Whitner when we reached for him over Ngata...

despite bucking the trend with whitner, and sean taylor, traditionally safety is not a premium top 5 or 10 position. Also, i'm not a proponent of taking a LB that high either, so if bulaga, or okung or davis isnt available, id really try to trade down