PFT and Florio

I understand that Florio and his boys at profootballtalk.com mostly just regurgitate news from other sites. That being said, I still love their format and find it to be the easiest way to quickly immerse myself in each day's NFL news. Florio is often annoying, and he certainly has the look and sound of a pretentious little punk, but I often enjoy his insight and look forward to Bills-related posts.

However, this morning Florio took it a little too far. I know they aren't real journalists over there, but the lack of professionalism by Mr. Florio in regards to Tim Tebow is appalling. Florio even goes as far as to bash Urban Meyer, the UF program and even takes a moment to ballwash Alabama and St. Nicholas Saban. Like Saban has been a QB-developing savant -- JaWalrus Russell, John Parker Wilson and the pass on Drew Brees?

I can understand the criticisms of UFs offense to a certain extent (although they did produce two of the most prolific rookie wideouts this past year -- Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy) and I can even understand the backlash against Tebow's faith, decency and unscathed image, but why someone like Florio would so openly and shamelessly have an agenda against a 22-year-old kid and a particular college football program is beyond me.

I encourage anyone who hasn't read this brief article to do so; it's pretty shocking.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...oved-tim-tebow/

I just read this "scathing" article and by the time I got to the end I was asking the same question Florio did; why didn't FU correct his mechanics sooner???

Florio is right, if I were ANY school competing with FU for a QB recruit, I would be putting this right in their face.

The important point is that his mechanics were always an issue. When Tebow decided to go back for his senior year, he did Urban Meyer a huge favor. The suggestion is that Meyer should have done more in the past year to improve Tebow's mechanics. It is my understanding that they did hire a former NFL QB coach, but it appears that nothing really happened with that.

I have no idea what was the reason why it appears that his mechanics are the same now as they always were. Was it Tebow's fault? Was it Meyer's fault? Did Meyer have him use the same mechanics with the idea that they are good enough for the Gator offense without regard to how this may effect Tebow's position in the draft?

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who follows the Gators closely who may have more insight.

It is an unprofessional article but I agree partially with the sentiment. ESPN loves trying to brand Tim Tebow. Do we really need to see video of Tebow explaining why he is changing his throwing motion, then trying to sell himself for the draft. So much melodrama. We know Suh and McClain have game and don't need them trying to convince us they are good

I understand that Florio and his boys at profootballtalk.com mostly just regurgitate news from other sites. That being said, I still love their format and find it to be the easiest way to quickly immerse myself in each day's NFL news. Florio is often annoying, and he certainly has the look and sound of a pretentious little punk, but I often enjoy his insight and look forward to Bills-related posts.

However, this morning Florio took it a little too far. I know they aren't real journalists over there, but the lack of professionalism by Mr. Florio in regards to Tim Tebow is appalling. Florio even goes as far as to bash Urban Meyer, the UF program and even takes a moment to ballwash Alabama and St. Nicholas Saban. Like Saban has been a QB-developing savant -- JaWalrus Russell, John Parker Wilson and the pass on Drew Brees?

I can understand the criticisms of UFs offense to a certain extent (although they did produce two of the most prolific rookie wideouts this past year -- Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy) and I can even understand the backlash against Tebow's faith, decency and unscathed image, but why someone like Florio would so openly and shamelessly have an agenda against a 22-year-old kid and a particular college football program is beyond me.

I encourage anyone who hasn't read this brief article to do so; it's pretty shocking.

You read Florio religiously--this is his MO. No-one or nothing is sacred...Read some of the stuff about Vince Young and others he has targeted.

Also, you can bet Saban will use this on the recruiting road. BTW, Florio loves Saban because he is a native West Virginian just like Florio. West Virginia guys always get cut slack....

As for Tebow--a different angle is to applaud him for being proactive about making the change. He is basically saying -- if you want a pro quarterback -- I have the talent in 8 - 10 weeks to become that pro quarterback. He has nothing to lose by doing this--right now he has fallen completely off a lot of draft boards--if he shows promise he gets back on some--if he is very successful his attitude and will make him zoom up to round 2 or 3..

The important point is that his mechanics were always an issue. When Tebow decided to go back for his senior year, he did Urban Meyer a huge favor. The suggestion is that Meyer should have done more in the past year to improve Tebow's mechanics. It is my understanding that they did hire a former NFL QB coach, but it appears that nothing really happened with that.

I have no idea what was the reason why it appears that his mechanics are the same now as they always were. Was it Tebow's fault? Was it Meyer's fault? Did Meyer have him use the same mechanics with the idea that they are good enough for the Gator offense without regard to how this may effect Tebow's position in the draft?

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who follows the Gators closely who may have more insight.

I have a hard time understanding how Tebow did Meyer a huge favor. Would Tebow have gone through the same process last year and ended up a higher pick in a much better QB class?

I would say no way.

Florio may be a bit over-the-top, but he's mostly right...I know I heard Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock, when asked about Tebow last year, both suggest exactly what Florio is saying Meyer should have done...Tebow did Meyer a HUGE favor in returning for his Sr. Year...Meyer could have done more...Not saying He had to, just saying he could have... :D

I have a hard time understanding how Tebow did Meyer a huge favor. Would Tebow have gone through the same process last year and ended up a higher pick in a much better QB class?

I would say no way.

So you think Florida would have been just as good without Tebow in 09? Tebow would have been coming out after a National Championship and one of the best examples of Team Leadership ever in College Football...It was a risk for Tebow, maybe He improves his stock...maybe not...But Meyer wins in a HUGE way... :D

It's just his opinion. I don't read the guy often, but if he didn't add a little "sauce" to his opinion pieces, they would not be read.

I love how many experts there are on QB mechanics. I think he was in the Heisman "team photo" 3 times. His team, for the most part, dominated offensively against superior competition and under his direction. We're I his coach, I'd be more afraid to screw him up than to prepare him for "Combine Experts". What did he do???? That should be the primary driver for our picks. Not how. Otherwise, you end up with Maybins and Flowers.

Prolific wideouts? They were ranked 108 and 113 in the nation in 2008. I read the article and found it neither appalling or scathing, but I do not have a man-crush on Tebow.

Florio is off base, and wrong.

Meyer isn't at UF to shape NFL players. He's paid by Florida University to win games. Lots of games, bowl bids and championships. All of those things equals money for the university.

He's not going to mess around with the mechanics of the goose who laid the golden egg for the university. If Urban Meyer went and changed the mechanics of Tebow and the end result would have been a less-effective Tebow behind center, there would have been hell to pay from the administration, the all important money alumnus, and the fans.

Well... this just sounds like a rehashing of what Colin Cowherd stated. And, theyr're both right... with Meyer, it's about Florida football and winning. Preparing a layer for the next level ain't in the plan... that prep rests squarely on the player.

Florida will continue to win... sans Tebow

And... just a freebee... all this crap abpout Tebow changing his mechanics. Fantastic... he still is what he is... a college QB. When he stares down the barrel of an NFL defense he will still do what his body and mind instinctively do. On the NFL level that will get him in serious doo doo.

What did he write that wasn't correct? In all the time there Myer never taught Tebow how to throw the ball correctly and now Tebow has to PAY coaches to help him. That is pathetic and if my son were a QB there is no way in hell I let him go there.

Florio is off base, and wrong.

Meyer isn't at UF to shape NFL players. He's paid by Florida University to win games. Lots of games, bowl bids and championships. All of those things equals money for the university.

He's not going to mess around with the mechanics of the goose who laid the golden egg for the university. If Urban Meyer went and changed the mechanics of Tebow and the end result would have been a less-effective Tebow behind center, there would have been hell to pay from the administration, the all important money alumnus, and the fans.

:rolleyes:

Urban has a responsibility to win championships. Championships come with superior players. Superior players want to be NFL ready at the completion of there college careers.

Urban was trying to win at all costs. He has sold out his family (tell me you don't feel bad for those children), his best player (missing out on millions potentially) and his future recruiting classes by not prepping tebow.