Alan Wilson's first mock

Beerball

Link

9. Buffalo Bills: OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa. Clausen or Bradford would be popular with fans if either fell this far, but Bulaga addresses the Bills' most glaring need.

(he has Clausen going #4 to Washington and Bradford #6 to Seattle)

If both QBs are gone I'm fine with taking a tackle, I'd prefer it be after a trade down however.

It would be an outstanding pick on a great player in a position of dire need. Most mocks have him going before 15 now, and maybe before 9. I hope we also take his linemate, Kyle Calloway, for RT in the 3rd or 4th.

Way too high for Baluga.

Al Wilson, the reporter for the BuffNews, has since the beginning of last season strenuously made the point that there is no hope for the offense until the team develops a credible OL. He has reasoned that no qb stands a chance unless the line has been bolstered. He has steadily maintained his point of view.

The Bills as they are presently constituted are closer to being an expansion caliber team than a legitimate playoff team. They don't have a franchise qb, the OL has to be addressed, the DL needs to be bulked up, a new defensive scheme is going to be installed, the LB corps needs addtions and even the receiving corps is questionable.

The reality is that this is a multi-year task. It is frustrating looking back and realizing that the Levy and Brandon three year stint was a waste of time which could have been used to start the rebuilding process. How much further along could this franchise have been if a competent person replaced the failed Donahoe?

The first step in the healing process is establishing a stable front office. Buddy Nix and the addition of Whaley is a step in the right direction. Moving out John Guy made some sense. Next, having a HC and staff who are on the same page and share the same philosophy on offense and defense adds coherence to what they are trying to convey to the players.

Al Wilson, the reporter for the BuffNews, has since the beginning of last season strenuously made the point that there is no hope for the offense until the team develops a credible OL. He has reasoned that no qb stands a chance unless the line has been bolstered. He has steadily maintained his point of view.

The Bills as they are presently constituted are closer to being an expansion caliber team than a legitimate playoff team. They don't have a franchise qb, the OL has to be addressed, the DL needs to be bulked up, a new defensive scheme is going to be installed, the LB corps needs addtions and even the receiving corps is questionable.

The reality is that this is a multi-year task. It is frustrating looking back and realizing that the Levy and Brandon three year stint was a waste of time which could have been used to start the rebuilding process. How much further along could this franchise have been if a competent person replaced the failed Donahoe?

The first step in the healing process is establishing a stable front office. Buddy Nix and the addition of Whaley is a step in the right direction. Moving out John Guy made some sense. Next, having a HC and staff who are on the same page and share the same philosophy on offense and defense adds coherence to what they are trying to convey to the players.

Agree 100% with this. What really scares me is some of the heavy contracts that were handed out while Marv and Dick were here. Whitner, Evans, Schobel (if he doesnt retire), Kelsey, McGee, Even Mitchell and Spencer Johnson are very heavy for what they offer to this team. Every penny we pay these guys is more then they deserve IMO. None are worth their contracts. Lets hope we can unload some of these scrubs and not take much of a hit or else its just more excuses for Ralph not to spend money.

Based on what? Mel Kiper's mock? Bulaga might be the best OT in this draft and it's going to be a tackle heavy first round. I'd be very happy with this pick and Allen Wilson knows a lot of football.

Exactly. The 'way too high' mentality is the kind of stupidity that leads to bad draft picks because someone is afraid to draft a stud player 10 spots ahead of where Mel Kiper says he should go.

Sure glad the Bills didn't 'reach' for Brian Cushing or Percy Harvin last year. :P

I agree this is a multi year project, but this draft is loaded with OL talent and we could build an entire OL with this draft. We could easily take 2 OTs in the first two rounds without reaching if the draft pans out that way. we could even add a good G prospect in the third if we wanted to and not be reaching much either. Yes we need help all over, so I want the best player regardless of position, but that may infact be an OLinemen in all three rounds. If we took 3 good OL in the first 3 rounds I would love it. I am convinced we are getting a big NT in FA BTW. I am thinking Hampton. We could solidify our entire OL in this draft and I say do it. That would give us a great base to build from moving forward.

While I like Bradford....I dont think it is high for Bulaga at all.

He has good technique.....good feet.....a mauler in the run game. Everything about him screams "Bookend for years"

His attitude is what makes me think he's a realistic shot at our pick at #9. If we are still looking for mean, nasty and physically dominating O-Lineman, then few fit the bill better than Bulaga. Having him on the same line as Levitre and Wood would be tremendous.

Could not have said it any better Union2008. I too love McClain or Bradford but please, don't draft a OT who has a mean streak and is NFL ready right now. Let's take a chance on Anthony Davis who may not even be able to play tackle in the NFL and has motivation issues. :P

There's a run on OT's each year. And remember, this team needs two starters with very little available in free agency. I would bet that both OT's next season will be rookies, much like last year was a G. Ergo, take the best available OT at a position of dire need. If that's Okung, Bulaga, whomever.

Could not have said it any better Union2008. I too love McClain or Bradford but please, don't draft a OT who has a mean streak and is NFL ready right now. Let's take a chance on Anthony Davis who may not even be able to play tackle in the NFL and has motivation issues. :P

Agree 100%. After the Peters' situation, I would much rather have a proven, more mature guy. Plus, how much more upside can Davis have over Bulaga? If the guy struggles to get motivated in college with millions on the table, why would he be more motivated with millions in his pocket? Give me the proven, hard worker over the guy with slightly more physical tools any day of the week.

Agree 100% with this. What really scares me is some of the heavy contracts that were handed out while Marv and Dick were here. Whitner, Evans, Schobel (if he doesnt retire), Kelsey, McGee, Even Mitchell and Spencer Johnson are very heavy for what they offer to this team. Every penny we pay these guys is more then they deserve IMO. None are worth their contracts. Lets hope we can unload some of these scrubs and not take much of a hit or else its just more excuses for Ralph not to spend money.

As you stated it isn't so much as the amount of money spent as the value for the dollars spent. The first priority for any organization is getting a quality front office established so that sound fiscal and personnel decisions will be made. I'm confident that Buddy Nix is going to provide a direction and identity to the franchise. It starts with the lines and then works its way out.

No one disputes that the qb is the most important player on a team. But unless you create the conditions (credible OL) to give a qb a reasonable chance to succeed it is futile.