Who was your hidden gem that you mentioned here...

1billsfan

I remember starting a thread before the 2006 draft that the Bills should draft Miles Austin in one of their mid to later round draft picks. I don't watch a lot of college football, but I live in NJ and I remember reading up on this guy from Monmouth and was blown away by the video I eventually saw on him. I felt compelled to put the word out. Austin went undrafted and eventually signed with Dallas... :thumbsup:

Before you say I probably made a hundred of those type of threads, sorry but that was the only one that I can ever remember making. Anyone here have a similar hidden gem story? 2010 hidden gems?

I remember starting a thread before the 2006 draft that the Bills should draft Miles Austin in one of their mid to later round draft picks. I don't watch a lot of college football, but I live in NJ and I remember reading up on this guy from Monmouth and was blown away by the video I eventually saw on him. I felt compelled to put the word out. Austin went undrafted and eventually signed with Dallas... :thumbsup:

Before you say I probably made a hundred of those type of threads, sorry but that was the only one that I can ever remember making. Anyone here have a similar hidden gem story? 2010 hidden gems?

The bills don't have enough scouts on the staff to find hidden gems. Again it goes back to a cheap organization that cuts corners when it comes to areas like scouting. I do hope this will change under Nix.

The bills don't have enough scouts on the staff to find hidden gems. Again it goes back to a cheap organization that cuts corners when it comes to areas like scouting. I do hope this will change under Nix.

I hope so too, there are so many both star and very good players who were either drafted in the later rounds or went undrafted in this league. They generally don't come from the big name colleges.

You do realize we have just hired an assistant for just about every coach we have right? That isn't cheap. Also did you not read where Nix says we need more scouts and plans to do something about it?

You do realize we have just hired an assistant for just about every coach we have right? That isn't cheap. Also did you not read where Nix says we need more scouts and plans to do something about it?

Did you NOT read where I said I hope this changes under Nix? And yes they have hired assistants, and Nix wants to hire more scouts. But will they allow him to, thats the question. And the Bills have been cheap in the past. Hiring more assistants now, does not change the fact that they have been on the cheap in the past. The scouting department is an area they have gone cheap on and it shows on the field. And again , I HOPE THIS CHANGES UNDER NIX.

Another hint that under Nix there is going to be an investment in player development is that he added an additional strength coach. Compared to most other teams the football operation was very hollow. Apparently he is bulking up the staffing which in the short and long term should prove beneficial.

You say these so I wouls like you to back them up, could you compare the size of the scouting departments to other team's scouting departments? How many scouts do the Bills use compared to other teams? Also, please tell me the scouting budget for the Bills and how that compares to other teams.

I think the Bills do a fine job at drafting late guys and signing rookie free agent pickups (Jason Peters, Jabari Greer, Stevie Johnson, Jim Leanord, Fred Jackson, Derek Schouman) these are just a few that I can think of that they have pickedup recently.

If you say they don't do a good job of drafting top picks I don't think anyone will argue with you but you need to back up these points as they are not common knowledge.

You say these so I wouls like you to back them up, could you compare the size of the scouting departments to other team's scouting departments? How many scouts do the Bills use compared to other teams? Also, please tell me the scouting budget for the Bills and how that compares to other teams.

I think the Bills do a fine job at drafting late guys and signing rookie free agent pickups (Jason Peters, Jabari Greer, Stevie Johnson, Jim Leanord, Fred Jackson, Derek Schouman) these are just a few that I can think of that they have pickedup recently.

If you say they don't do a good job of drafting top picks I don't think anyone will argue with you but you need to back up these points as they are not common knowledge.

Larry Felser wrote a column a few weeks ago which talked about how the jets have roughly twice as many scouts as the Bills do. He basically said the Bills were scrimping on scouting. Also why do you think Nix said he wants to hire more scouts? Because we don't have enough!! Also..you come up with 6 players in 10 years?? And you include Stevie Johnson who has done nothing so far and Schuman who is a below average starter? REALLY ?? Is that it?? You need to look back at the last ten years of scouting.....based on our draft picks, it's been a joke!! And if you weren't aware of it, drafting horribly in the early rounds is also influenced by shortage in scouting.

Bernard Berrian

Elvis Drumervil

Matt Schaub

Jerrod Mayo- here is a private message I received when I lobbied for us to draft Mayo

The list is longer and I'm not going to continue, but you get my point. Mayo is not worth a number 11 pick. If you think Devin Thomas isn't worth one, then this guy certainly isn't. And IIRC Flowers soared up the charts with a great combine and pro day and many scouts saw him becoming a super star in the NFL. Mayo is going to be an above average linebacker, but you're talking about the guy like he is the next coming of Ray Lewis. Sorry to disappoint, but at #11, there will be at least six players who are better than Mayo that I would much rather see in a Bills uniform, even at the LB position. Here are some examples of Better Players.

Derrick Harvey

Keith Rivers

Quentin Groves

Rashard Mendenhall (By your theory its ANY player who is BPA right? We have ML, but Mendenhall is better than Mayo)

Philip Merling

Antoine Cason

Ryan Clady

John Otah

Dan Connor (PSU LB who is much better than Mayo. Try looking at their stats and comparing the Conf. they played in).

The list is longer and I'm not going to continue, but you get my point. Mayo is not worth a number 11 pick. If you think Devin Thomas isn't worth one, then this guy certainly isn't. And IIRC Flowers soared up the charts with a great combine and pro day and many scouts saw him becoming a super star in the NFL. Mayo is going to be an above average linebacker, but you're talking about the guy like he is the next coming of Ray Lewis. Sorry to disappoint, but at #11, there will be at least six players who are better than Mayo that I would much rather see in a Bills uniform, even at the LB position. Here are some examples of Better Players.

Derrick Harvey

Keith Rivers

Quentin Groves

Rashard Mendenhall (By your theory its ANY player who is BPA right? We have ML, but Mendenhall is better than Mayo)

Philip Merling

Antoine Cason

Ryan Clady

John Otah

Dan Connor (PSU LB who is much better than Mayo. Try looking at their stats and comparing the Conf. they played in).

thats a toolish PM lol, awesome.

Your right! The Bills can't even find the obvious stars that fall right in their laps at draft time ie: B. Orakapo DE last year or how about Bryant Mckinney OT and instead they choose Mike "Lazybones" Williams. Gregg Williams claims that he argued with the Bills scouting department/Management because he wanted to draft QB Drew Breeze, but he was over-ruled and they selected someone else instead! It's a shame that Coaches and Personnel that leave the Bills always have the last laugh on the Bills anymore ie: Gregg Williams, Jabari Greer, Bill Polian, Dwight Adams, Dick Labeau, Sam Aiken, Willis McGahee, and others! Look at the organizations that are willing to pay $$$$ and compete for top players! Most of them excluding the Wash. Redskins have had very favorable results the past decade! Minnesota Vikings, G.B. Packers, Sandiego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys (as of late), Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, etc....It's not that they spend a whole lot more...It's that they can identify players in FA that are impact players like Randy Moss and get'er done! They also retain their best players unlike us! Look at some of the talent we lost because we wouldn't take care of our own!! ie: Nate Clements, Antwoin Winfield, Sam Cowhart (few yrs back), Jabari Greer, Pat Williams, Ted Washington, and several others.

Honestly, the Bills would have been better off using Profootballweekly to decide on their picks than depending on scouts

who try to play cutsie and pick players that are undersized tweeners like Aaron Maybin, or undersized receivers like Roscoe Parrish, or players with character flags like M. Lynch etc....I hope things will change, but I expect it won't be until

2112-2113 season that we'll likely make the playoffs if things go good or better on the rebuilding project. Too much

Mediocricy on this team...Need to purge about 20-25 players and what the heck is Tom Modrak still here for???? :doh:

I remember starting a thread before the 2006 draft that the Bills should draft Miles Austin in one of their mid to later round draft picks. I don't watch a lot of college football, but I live in NJ and I remember reading up on this guy from Monmouth and was blown away by the video I eventually saw on him. I felt compelled to put the word out. Austin went undrafted and eventually signed with Dallas... :doh:

I don't have the time to search the board but the one that came to my immediate mind was Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall, Could be a sleeper. Granted he's played in as just about as many games as Lynch and only accrued only half the yards but one has to wonder if given more carries would he be better?

Gregg Williams claims that he argued with the Bills scouting department/Management because he wanted to draft QB Drew Breeze, but he was over-ruled and they selected someone else instead!

well thats just flat not true--- he wanted him in the second round, and the chargers took him first...... and its Brees.

If you really want to complain about passing him up, when he was a free agent is really the only time we did it.

well thats just flat not true--- he wanted him in the second round, and the chargers took him first...... and its Brees.

If you really want to complain about passing him up, when he was a free agent is really the only time we did it.

Brees was the Chargers first pick in the second round (32nd overall) and Williams wanted him instead of Nate Clements at 21. The BILLS tried to trade up after they made the Clements pick and couldn't find anyone willing.

Don't let that get in the way of your superior story, though.

Brees was the Chargers first pick in the second round (32nd overall) and Williams wanted him instead of Nate Clements at 21. The BILLS tried to trade up after they made the Clements pick and couldn't find anyone willing.

Don't let that get in the way of your superior story, though.

Unfortunately for you his superior story trumps your falling for Greggo's bizarro revisionist history that has never been corroborated by a reputable source.

If you want to be Williams lapdog on this one...enjoy!

I used to get into the draft a lot more than I do now, including writing a mini report that I would send to friends & post here. I lost my will to get that into the draft & I no longer spend April reading reports & watching tapes like I used to. I had a lot of misses, including comparing Tom Brady to Todd Collins, saying Syracuse QB McNabb could never go from running the freeze option to running an NFL offense, but my biggest gems & my biggest warning came at QB.

In 1998 I said: Leaf offers tremendous potential but is more of a risk (than Manning) due to his lack of maturity and tendency to put on weight when left unsupervised. In addition Leaf is a junior who really had only 1 great year. There have been more underclassmen 1st round busts at QB than there have been success stories. Later on I said "he reminds me a lot of Scott Mitchell". A paragraph down, in the same year I wrote "Matt Hasselbeck could be a late round to free agent find. He's big, smart and tough. Players like him can last a long time in the NFL provided they are brought along slowly and not pressured to be starters early on in their careers.

My final report was written in 2005. While I was off base on a lot of the QBs, I went back to a basketball analogy when Swen Nater was a top pick and had a decent career in the ABA and NBA after never starting a game in college. I wrote:

Matt Cassel has been buried on the depth chart at USC and may be better than a lot of college team's starters.

I used to draft the same time the Bills were on the clock. My best late round draft pick was TE Bo Scaife.

Unfortunately for you his superior story trumps your falling for Greggo's bizarro revisionist history that has never been corroborated by a reputable source.

If you want to be Williams lapdog on this one...enjoy!

His story was "Williams wanted Brees with the BILLS second round pick." Not according to Williams himself. It doesn't matter if Williams is revising history to suit his legacy. AT ALL.

Whether it's corroborated by anyone else or not is totally irrelevant to this particular situation. It's nothing more than arguing what the facts of the particular topic are, which clearly are not as his "story" illustrates. But thanks for your meaningless yet ridiculous input.

I don't think their scouting is half as bad as their overall team management. When you repeatedly fail to lock up your best players before they hit their FA year, you let all of your hard work walk out the door. P. Williams, Winfield, Clements, Greer, Peters, Leonhard. Every time one of those guys leave, you have to find another guy to replace him.