This Front Office is looking smarter and Smarter

PNW_Bills_Fan

Chan has a coaching staff that has lots of coaching experience. It may not be in the Pro Ranks, but a lot of College experience. Then they are getting younger guys that can be mentored into being the next coach to come in and take over when the old guys are done. Not to mention two heads are better than one. These coaches can challenge each other and see things that the others cannot. I like the moves so far. My opinion will change with wins and losses, but what Bills fan doesn't .

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan has a coaching staff that has lots of coaching experience. It may not be in the Pro Ranks, but a lot of College experience. Then they are getting younger guys that can be mentored into being the next coach to come in and take over when the old guys are done. Not to mention two heads are better than one. These coaches can challenge each other and see things that the others cannot. I like the moves so far. My opinion will change with wins and losses, but what Bills fan doesn't .

Some good thoughts, time will tell. What I really like is the higher of Whaley as assist. GM he's only 37?(I think) With Buddy at the 70 mark. Whaley seems to have a bright future....but once again time will tell.

Yep! +1

I am sorry but is hiring Chan !@#$ing Gailey as the coach when Marty Schotenheimer wanted the job is a incompetent move. I mean are we seriously giving kudos to a front office that hired a guy the Kansas City Chiefs fired. Oh but he the KC Chiefs offense fell 7 ranks when he left well you know who else also left KC the same year as Gailey Tony Gonzales who is likely the reason why KC's offense fell from bad to God awful.

Look at Gailey's track record and is there anything since a semi-successful run with Dallas that shows why Gailey will be a success? Miami actually got better right after he left. GA tech got better after he left. Then the one stop where the team was worse after he left it was more likely due to the HOF Tight End who also left with him.

I am sorry but Marty ball should be our HC. We need a guy who is a proven winner not a proven disappointment. While I do like the coordinators and assistants they have brought in the overall hire of Gailey is a bad one. I love for anyone to seriously defend this hire of Gailey as HC when Marty ball wanted the job.

I like the moves, and the way our coaching staff has been assembled. I like that we have a lot of coaches - something that'll pay off, I think. They're cheaper than players, and if you're going to spend X amount of dollars, why not put a little more into the coaching? Also, people make a lot of Nix's age, but he's only like 2 years older than the Tuna. Another thing - there are only so many coaches in the NFL right now. If you're looking for proven coaching ability, there's a relatively limited pool. However, the college coaching ranks are vast in comparison. Why not look there for fresh talent? It's not like the players (and our team is young) are that much older than when in college - they are, many of them, still young men. We've got a good mix of age in the coaching ranks, and maybe these guys who don't have as much NFL experience will bring something new to our team - something I'd rather see than copycat B.S. - it seems every time over the last ten years we've jumped on a trend it's been on the down side. We'll see with the wins and losses, but I'm optimistic.

I am sorry but is hiring Chan !@#$ing Gailey as the coach when Marty Schotenheimer wanted the job is a incompetent move. I mean are we seriously giving kudos to a front office that hired a guy the Kansas City Chiefs fired. Oh but he the KC Chiefs offense fell 7 ranks when he left well you know who else also left KC the same year as Gailey Tony Gonzales who is likely the reason why KC's offense fell from bad to God awful.

Look at Gailey's track record and is there anything since a semi-successful run with Dallas that shows why Gailey will be a success? Miami actually got better right after he left. GA tech got better after he left. Then the one stop where the team was worse after he left it was more likely due to the HOF Tight End who also left with him.

I am sorry but Marty ball should be our HC. We need a guy who is a proven winner not a proven disappointment. While I do like the coordinators and assistants they have brought in the overall hire of Gailey is a bad one. I love for anyone to seriously defend this hire of Gailey as HC when Marty ball wanted the job.

Ask yourself, why has Marty been out of coaching for the past 3 years, and had NO interviews, much less offers? Hmmm?

Yeah Marty ball has really been a success in the playoffs. BTW he is such a great HC no one else has offered him a job either.

I love the Nix hire, I really like the Gailey hire and am really liking the additional moves in the front office and with the coaches.

The guy left the league coming off of a 14-2 season. Gailey on the other hand was fired by a team coming off a 4-12 season.

Answer the question, why is marty still sitting out there if he is so damn good? No one is beating the guys door down to hire him. Marty is a 'Name' that fans wanted because they know the NAME.

Chan is the proper coach for what the Bills want to do - which is cut large chunks of salary and add cheap young replacements.

If the Bills actually were concerned about builidng a contender, then Marty and Brian would have been the proper package to rebuild the organization.

However, the on-field product is not the top priority at OBD.

Chan and his group of teachers will have their hands full making a team full of scrubs competitive on a weekly basis.

Marty should be trhgr

Answer the question, why is marty still sitting out there if he is so damn good? No one is beating the guys door down to hire him. Marty is a 'Name' that fans wanted because they know the NAME.

Was anyone knocking down the door to hire Gailey as a coordinator let alone as a HC. Marty ball doesn't work in the playoffs BUT lets get to them before we worry about winning in them.

Good point, I forgot that Marty was fired by KC. Oh did you mean Chan??

I can understand you complaining maybe about not signing Cowler, if Alan Iverson was a Bill's fan he's be saying "we're talking about Marty"! Give me a break here!

Was anyone knocking down the door to hire Gailey as a coordinator let alone as a HC. Marty ball doesn't work in the playoffs BUT lets get to them before we worry about winning in them.

Not only this, but Gailey has never built a team as a HC. I'd argue his work in GT wasn't bad if you're talking recruiting. He found some talent for a school not known for being a football powerhouse. But his on-field abilities weren't ever enough to maximize that talent. Only one season with 8 or more wins nearly 6 seasons. That's not going to cut it in the ACC.

Something tells me it wasn't a coincidence that he never got another HC job in the NFL after being fired in Big D. There, he took the remnants of the Jimmy Johnson SB teams and basically steered the ship straight. But make no mistake, the scenario he just walked into is a complete rebuild. His "specialty" needs a serious overhaul, and the defense needs several pieces.

Some Bills fans are unable to accept anyone but a "name" head coach.

What they don't seem to realize (or care about) is that Chan Gailey is the "name" Bill Cowher wrote down and handed to the Rooney family as his choice for his successor with the Steelers.

Duh, well, doesn't that tell you some very good things about the worth of Mr Gailey?

No? Well, you must just be thick-headed, unable to get past your Cowher/Marty/Shanahan hard-on.

I'm very happy about the direction the Bills' front office is taking (as mentioned by the original poster).

Time will tell, of course. So, you can continue to cry in your beer - or get on board with the new regime.

The guy left the league coming off of a 14-2 season. Gailey on the other hand was fired by a team coming off a 4-12 season.

Don't insult our intelligence.

Love the Whaley and Edwards hires.

So much is going to happen between now and September. Are they gonna get marginal free agents who are no better than the guys we already have and sell us on change or are they going to get real bonafide NFL starters and maybe even a few studs and sell us on actual legitimate hope. Can't wait for the draft!

I can't believe you took the time to process this thought, let alone type it. I could see this as an immediate reaction to the hiring, but we're a little less than 2 months away from his first draft with us! You've got no leverage in an argument here. No one does. He needs to coach some games before you can be so ridiculously critical.

Gailey was head coach of the chiefs?

OK so Gailey was fired as offensive coordinator from a team whose offense was ranked 24th in the NFL and finished 4-12. As for all the stories of former coaches saying good things about Gailey its a close nit frat that all these former and current NFL coaches live in. If we hired Herman Edwards there would have been good things said about how great of a teacher and motivator he was with the Jets and Chiefs.

Just follow his career once he left the Cowboys. He went to Miami were in 2001 his last season the Fins were ranked 21st when he left the year after in 2002 the Fins improved to a 15th ranking. Then you look at his Georgia Tech tenure where in his last season in 2007 he took them to a 7-5 record while in 2008 they were 9-4 and ranked 22nd and in 2009 they were 11-3 and ranked 12th overall.

If you look at Gailey's GT tenure he only one year where he had 3 7-6 seasons 2 7-5 seasons and one 9-5 season while in the next 2 seasons they managed to improve to 9-4 and 11-3 without Gailey at the helm. Then look at his Chiefs tenure in his only season he managed to take the Chiefs to be ranked 24th offensively while in the next season without him and Tony Gonzalez they were ranked 25th a minor downgrade probably due more to Gonzalez leaving then Gailey.

So after all that failure and mediocrity we hire him as our new Head Coach. What is it about this man resume that is suppose to inspire me that he is a good hire and not a cost cutting or good ole boys network hire? Since his Cowboys run every team he has left has either gotten better (Georgia Tech and the Fins) or has stayed the same (The Chiefs) this is a bad hire any way you spin it.

I can't believe you took the time to process this thought, let alone type it. I could see this as an immediate reaction to the hiring, but we're a little less than 2 months away from his first draft with us! You've got no leverage in an argument here. No one does. He needs to coach some games before you can be so ridiculously critical.

Or ridiculously optimistic. Other than land the job, hire a bunch of assistants that we know little about at the pro level, and cut 7 mediocre to bad players, very little has happened to judge anything on. To me, the only thing that has happened so far, that I am fairly convinced is a good move, is that we got Bruce DeHaven to replace Bobby April. And, I am excited about the idea of Doug Whaley, but holding off on judgement, until we see what role he actually ends up playing. Lets hope for the best... :rolleyes:

I'm really happy how the bills are picking their guys to coach this team, But as for right now, we have no idea how this team gonna be like once the season starts. We would find out if our coaching are doing a good job. of course its gonna take at lease 2-3 years to see how our team would do with these coaches, They have a lot of holes to fill in..