An Alternative to a New Stadium for Buffalo

Got_Wood

Lambeau cost 295 million, Soldier 365 million.

While Ralph lives, there will be no hope for such a project if it involves him coughing up more than he currently pays in "rent".

Move on, boys.

Either way, when you're talking about $500 to $600 million LESS than building a new stadium, that is VERY significant. It may not happen while Ralph lives. But he may not be around much longer (and I'm not one that hopes this happens soon). This is about the FUTURE of the Bills in Buffalo.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to see the newly-developed infrastructure at Arrowhead, check the link below and watch the video "Laying the Foundation, Part 2"

http://www.kcchiefs.com/arrowhead

That's awesome Chalkie. And we've already got a new indoor training facility. We're ahead of where the Chiefs were when they started. Man, I would really love to see this happen.

Go the route of the Packers when they upgraded Lambeau Field. Take the existing stadium, and make it a place where people visit in the offseason. Make it a theme park / museum of sorts. A statue of Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi stand outside the stadium like ghosts as visitors frequent the stadium year round. The stadium tours, Packers team gear stores, restaurants, and bars in the new Field House attached to the stadium make it a place you can bring your family for a day of fun. This would increase the revenue the stadium brings in by a big number.

Quote from this Lambeau Field website: http://www.lambeaufield.com/stadium_info/history/

If you want the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this may be one of the only options. And a much cheaper option than building a whole new stadium. This is what a "Lambeau Stadium Redo" might look like in Buffalo:

http://i48.tinypic.com/w6wrjr.jpg

or

http://i45.tinypic.com/10qko4m.jpg (Alternative with more 300 level seating)

Build some commercial real state around the stadium, and rent them out. Instant revenue!

Build some commercial real state around the stadium, and rent them out. Instant revenue!

Read this again. It's from the Lambeau Field website:

"Revenue generated from the Packers Pro Shop, Packers Hall of Fame, Curly's Pub, the Atrium eateries and other restaurants, the stadium club and special events, as well as other Atrium businesses is essential to the Packers' long-term survival. In just the first year, with only the new Pro Shop open and several gate sponsorships sold, the Packers' NFL revenue ranking for the fiscal year 2002-03 jumped to 10th, up from 20th the prior year."

Good ideas, I like the idea of brining more people to the stadium. A Sportbar/museum seem like great ideas. A bigger shopping outlet for Bills gear would be nice, they already do have one though. The pats have a mall in ther stadium, but they do have a bigger market. I would like more events at the Ralp to make money, concerts, festivals, etc.

We also have Ralph's name on the two buildings, that brings in no money. Some corporate sponsorship would be nice on either of these two buildings.

And when the vans / trucks drive away with the Bills to a new city, maybe some of the sentimental fans can still gather on sundays there and tailgate and talk about the old days?

If the Bills stay in Buffalo its because there is a new stadium and fans are paying prices for tickets etc more on par with the rest of the NFL.

Why do the fans of Buffalo need to pay twice? First, you pay the ticket of constructing the stadium, because ownership will not. Then you pay higher ticket prices, if not PSL fees. Why not just raise ticket prices? I could care less about the stadium. As long as we keep the stadium full with decent ticket prices, all ownership will be happy.

New stadium or not...the Bills aren't going anywhere.

Why do the fans of Buffalo need to pay twice? First, you pay the ticket of constructing the stadium, because ownership will not. Then you pay higher ticket prices, if not PSL fees. Why not just raise ticket prices? I could care less about the stadium. As long as we keep the stadium full with decent ticket prices, all ownership will be happy.

New stadium or not...the Bills aren't going anywhere.

Unfortunately, Goodell is targeting the Bills as a team that needs to upgrade or build a new stadium. See this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/...tory?id=4891541.

The price would be theoretically minimal to the people of Buffalo. The team and the NFL help carry the bill. Many football towns like Green Bay and Chicago use hotel taxes to cover the extra revenue. Hey maybe the group of investors Kelly has put together would be willing to help fund the upgrade. Jim could add his own sports bar into the new design to leave his own mark on the new venue :lol:

The Bills have room to increase the ticket prices. Especially if the team on the field succeeds.

When the team was 3-0, 4-0, and 5-1 2 seasons ago, everyone I knew was calling me and asking me if I knew of or had any extra tickets. Looking at stubhug or ebay, tickets were going for double or more of their face value.

This stadium issue doesn't hit the fan until Ralph dies and the team sells. Then there will be an overwhelming demand for a new stadium. And not an upgrade, but a new facility with a lot more luxury boxes and premium seating for them to charge a lot more money for. Depending on what the municipality and the state are willing to chip in, the Bills could be going the way of the Braves. It's nothing about Buffalo or snow, it's just economics. TV money alone could wrest the team from WNY, depending on the ownership team.

This stadium issue doesn't hit the fan until Ralph dies and the team sells. Then there will be an overwhelming demand for a new stadium. And not an upgrade, but a new facility with a lot more luxury boxes and premium seating for them to charge a lot more money for.

we're having problems selling the luxury boxes and premium seating as it is...charging higher prices will make it even harder

Unfortunately, Goodell is targeting the Bills as a team that needs to upgrade or build a new stadium. See this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/...tory?id=4891541.

The price would be theoretically minimal to the people of Buffalo. The team and the NFL help carry the bill. Many football towns like Green Bay and Chicago use hotel taxes to cover the extra revenue. Hey maybe the group of investors Kelly has put together would be willing to help fund the upgrade. Jim could add his own sports bar into the new design to leave his own mark on the new venue :lol:

The article you cite is interesting not for the one sentence mentioning the Bills, but for the significant doubt the Commish has voiced for the first time regarding a team appearing in LA any time in the near future. The Roski "stadium" is nonexistent and will remain so until he can buy a team.

As for a new Bills stadium, it will not happen.

There is no federal "stimulus money" (a laugher!) for such a project---the state and county are broke.

The NFL is no longer in the business of lending money for stadiums and "the team" (Ralph) will never pay money for an upgrade, let alone a dime, towards a new stadium.

Raising the hotel taxes in Buffalo will raise enough money for, maybe, a thin layer of driveway sealant for the parking lot.

There are more than enough retail shopping areas in Buffalo and OP, adding more as part of a stadium "mall" would only add more "for lease" signs to the area's landscape.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to believe that Jim Kelly is masterminding a secret billion dollar investment group ready to buy the team upon Ralph's passing.

The article you cite is interesting not for the one sentence mentioning the Bills, but for the significant doubt the Commish has voiced for the first time regarding a team appearing in LA any time in the near future. The Roski "stadium" is nonexistent and will remain so until he can buy a team.

As for a new Bills stadium, it will not happen.

There is no federal "stimulus money" (a laugher!) for such a project---the state and county are broke.

The NFL is no longer in the business of lending money for stadiums and "the team" (Ralph) will never pay money for an upgrade, let alone a dime, towards a new stadium.

Raising the hotel taxes in Buffalo will raise enough money for, maybe, a thin layer of driveway sealant for the parking lot.

There are more than enough retail shopping areas in Buffalo and OP, adding more as part of a stadium "mall" would only add more "for lease" signs to the area's landscape.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to believe that Jim Kelly is masterminding a secret billion dollar investment group ready to buy the team upon Ralph's passing.

Like I said, this is not a post about a new stadium. This is about a renovation. And yes, Ralph has been known to throw down money to improve the stadium over the years adding luxury boxes, improved seating, a new jumbotron, etc. This would be a fairly massive undertaking, but not as much as building an entirely new stadium.

Funding: Dallas is raising $325 million in public funding through a 3 percent hotel occupancy tax and a 6 percent rental car tax, and received an additional $150 million from the NFL. Chicago is raising $400 million from a hotel occupancy tax, and $100 million from the NFL. Green Bay raised $160 million in public funds, and received over $100 million from the NFL as well.

It can be done. And it needs to be done. I'm looking for solutions... not why it won't work.

PS: I agree on Jim Kelly's group of investors. I tried to add sarcasm to that remark.

Like I said, this is not a post about a new stadium. This is about a renovation. And yes, Ralph has been known to throw down money to improve the stadium over the years adding luxury boxes, improved seating, a new jumbotron, etc. This would be a fairly massive undertaking, but not as much as building an entirely new stadium.

I don't know where you get your facts from, but Ralph has not thrown down any of his or Bills $$$ to do any of those project you listed. All $$$ came from WNY and New York State taxpayers.

Remember when he, Ralph said he was going to build a hotel near the Ralph....... and more recently build a Bills Hall of Fame sort of like want the Green Bay Packers have. That would have been on his dime and they have not been built.

The Ralph has plenty of room to be redone, especially on the outside. And it would be cheaper than a new stadium. I'm all for a new stadium, but where do you believe the money will come from?

Maybe they could expand the mens rooms. That way the drunk pigs wouldn't have to pea in the sink and trash cans.