An Alternative to a New Stadium for Buffalo

Got_Wood

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go the route of the Packers when they upgraded Lambeau Field. Take the existing stadium, and make it a place where people visit in the offseason. Make it a theme park / museum of sorts. A statue of Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi stand outside the stadium like ghosts as visitors frequent the stadium year round. The stadium tours, Packers team gear stores, restaurants, and bars in the new Field House attached to the stadium make it a place you can bring your family for a day of fun. This would increase the revenue the stadium brings in by a big number. If you want the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this may be one of the only options. And a much cheaper option than building a whole new stadium. This is what a "Lambeau Stadium Redo" might look like in Buffalo:

http://i48.tinypic.com/w6wrjr.jpg

Best part of that pic...Red End Zones

A video showing what the renovation to Arrowhead Stadium will be like...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/newvip

A series of videos you can check out with the Arrowhead renovations... more bathrooms, wider concourses, gift shops, etc.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/arrowhead

Nice renovation process... pretty neat with the entrance way giving recognition to the AFL.

Cool design, now I am off to find $200 million to finance it.

200 million is a hell of a lot easier to find and PAY BACK than 900 million.

All of you are correct....the stadium either needs to be replaced or have a Soldier Field/Lambeau make-over. Sign me up for the make-over. I have traveled the east coast with this team and to other games just for fun. I'm in DC, so Philly, Fed-EX, and Baltimore are in range and I am telling you they are no better than the Ralph other than being newer. The sight lines are terrible, the seats and parking are ridiculous, and service flat out sucks.

The Ralph needs to get rid of the chain-linked fence and the parking lot needs to be paved, in addition to what the graphic showed. The AFL museum idea is one of the best anyone has ever posted here. It's nice to hear solution-based ideas not fear-mongering.

Now, I think I can speak for some of the real fans...if all you're interested in posting about how the moving vans are coming and the sky is falling, yada yada yada...STOP POSTING. WE DON'T want to hear it anymore. This team has been "moving" for the past decade. It's one thing to criticize and say things you don't like, that's fine, that's America. But for Christ's sake once in a while mix in some frieking positivity. And please no responses like, "I'm positive the Bills are moving." That's lame.

Either figure out a better idea, like anyone is going to listen to this message board anyway, or just read and shut up.

GO BILLS!

other than the complete lack of 300 level, that photoshop doesnt look too bad... put 300 level instead of box and do it.

I thought about that when I put the design together. I agree that there could be some way of keeping the 300 level together. Maybe placing the luxury boxes between levels, or something to that effect. Whatever it takes to keep the stadium here.

Go the route of the Packers when they upgraded Lambeau Field. Take the existing stadium, and make it a place where people visit in the offseason. Make it a theme park / museum of sorts. A statue of Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi stand outside the stadium like ghosts as visitors frequent the stadium year round. The stadium tours, Packers team gear stores, restaurants, and bars in the new Field House attached to the stadium make it a place you can bring your family for a day of fun. This would increase the revenue the stadium brings in by a big number. If you want the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this may be one of the only options. And a much cheaper option than building a whole new stadium. This is what a "Lambeau Stadium Redo" might look like in Buffalo:

that would work except we are cutting out almost 25,000 seats in that design. im all for something like that, but we need to keep the stadium between 70 and 80,000 to keep prices low and maximize revenue. but i VERY much like the exterior designs on it. this is the 50-60mil rehab ive been saying the ralph needs. nice find!

All of you are correct....the stadium either needs to be replaced or have a Soldier Field/Lambeau make-over. Sign me up for the make-over. I have traveled the east coast with this team and to other games just for fun. I'm in DC, so Philly, Fed-EX, and Baltimore are in range and I am telling you they are no better than the Ralph other than being newer. The sight lines are terrible, the seats and parking are ridiculous, and service flat out sucks.

The Ralph needs to get rid of the chain-linked fence and the parking lot needs to be paved, in addition to what the graphic showed. The AFL museum idea is one of the best anyone has ever posted here. It's nice to hear solution-based ideas not fear-mongering.

Now, I think I can speak for some of the real fans...if all you're interested in posting about how the moving vans are coming and the sky is falling, yada yada yada...STOP POSTING. WE DON'T want to hear it anymore. This team has been "moving" for the past decade. It's one thing to criticize and say things you don't like, that's fine, that's America. But for Christ's sake once in a while mix in some frieking positivity. And please no responses like, "I'm positive the Bills are moving." That's lame.

Either figure out a better idea, like anyone is going to listen to this message board anyway, or just read and shut up.

GO BILLS!

+1 Couldn't agree more. All about positivity here. That's why I tried to throw this idea out there. And the addition of the museum would be incredible. I say we start a movement!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks, GW, and I like your plan, but where is the money coming from? I am not at all trying to be sarcastic. When we fixed the stadium more than a decade ago we had to beg, BEG the State for money just to try and save our franchise and they weren't real eager for it; and those when in slightly better economic times.

We all know that when it comes to allocating money for upstate NY, Albany gets real, real anxious and clutches their purse strings tighter and tighter.

Would we have an Erie County tax? We love our Bills, but in our economy, again, not a really favorable option.

Please let me state again, I do really like your plan. I like the look and I like the vibe...I just hate the reality of our situation and the way we are viewed by the rest of the State.

that would work except we are cutting out almost 25,000 seats in that design. im all for something like that, but we need to keep the stadium between 70 and 80,000 to keep prices low and maximize revenue. but i VERY much like the exterior designs on it. this is the 50-60mil rehab ive been saying the ralph needs. nice find!

I completely agree. I literally took the Lambeau Field design and "Buffolo-ized" it. It would be nice to have more 300 level seating, and rearrange the luxury boxes somehow. Just thought I would start here.

+1 Couldn't agree more. All about positivity here. That's why I tried to throw this idea out there. And the addition of the museum would be incredible. I say we start a movement!!! :thumbsup:

I could get used to that!

GO BILLS!

+1 great post

Thanks, GW, and I like your plan, but where is the money coming from? I am not at all trying to be sarcastic. We we fixed the stadium more than a decade ago we had to beg, BEG the state for money just to try and save our franchise and they weren't real eager for it and those when in slightly better economic times.

We all know that when it comes to allocating money for upstate NY, Albany gets real, real anxious and clutches there purse strings tighter and tighter.

Would we have an Erie County tax? We love our Bills, but in our economy, again, not a really favorable option.

Please let me state again, I do really like your plan. I like the look and I like the vibe...I just hate the reality of our situation and the way we are viewed by the rest of the State.

Valid point, and I agree that it will be tough to raise funds. But this is an alternative idea to a complete move and rebuild. With a brand new stadium, you're looking at $900 mil to $1 billion in funds. With an upgrade tot he current structure like Lambeau or Soldier Field, you're looking at $150-$250 million. That's a pretty HUGE difference. If it means keeping the Bills in Buffalo, this has to be at least considered.

I think your "redo" is a realistic option and worth considering. Lambeau is a differant animal though. The "ownwers" are the Fans and the locals so naturally they will support the facility. Even when they sucked, the stadium was full! It was full of unhappy Cheeseheads, but still full

People can talk all they want about a "new" stadium but bottom line is where would the funding come from?

I'd like a new Lexus, even one with a "sticky" gas pedal, but it ain't happenin because I CAN'T AFFORD IT!

The property owners are already maxed out, and if you ask them, they're paying a whole lot of money for very little services.

The Corportate sponsors are scarce. M&T Bank put their name in Baltimore????? HSBC is already hooked up with the Sabres. JetBlue has their name up but they're likely moving their corporate HQ to Orlando, to get away from the high NY Taxes.

If you take "Stimulus Money," which seems to be a myth, we'll end up with bare bones low quality crap because so many contractors & union bosses will take their cuts before a shovel is turned anywhere.

So that brings us back to "redo" and it may be a viable option.

Sorry, Marv, I didn't see your post before I wrote mine. I could have just saved my fingers the work. :thumbsup:

I think your "redo" is a realistic option and worth considering. Lambeau is a differant animal though. The "ownwers" are the Fans and the locals so naturally they will support the facility. Even when they sucked, the stadium was full! It was full of unhappy Cheeseheads, but still full

People can talk all they want about a "new" stadium but bottom line is where would the funding come from?

I'd like a new Lexus, even one with a "sticky" gas pedal, but it ain't happenin because I CAN'T AFFORD IT!

The property owners are already maxed out, and if you ask them, they're paying a whole lot of money for very little services.

The Corportate sponsors are scarce. M&T Bank put their name in Baltimore????? HSBC is already hooked up with the Sabres. JetBlue has their name up but they're likely moving their corporate HQ to Orlando, to get away from the high NY Taxes.

If you take "Stimulus Money," which seems to be a myth, we'll end up with bare bones low quality crap because so many contractors & union bosses will take their cuts before a shovel is turned anywhere.

So that brings us back to "redo" and it may be a viable option.

Very ambitious to create the photo. Although you left out some details like the end zone club seats on the tunnel end. Are you proposing dismantling all that or did you just forget it was there? Seems excessively expensive to demolish sections of the stadium just to put up a smallish video scoreboard.

Also, where do the Bills play while RWS is being rebuilt? The Rogers Centre? The Carrier Dome? You're dreaming if you think you can do all that in one offseason. Then there is the matter of the narrow concourses that are all underground. Those cannot be altered because you can't dig under the supports for the clubs and upper deck.

Realistically you would be better off building a new stadium than trying to renovate RWS. You have room across Abbott Road by ECC South. You'd lose a lot of parking during construction, 2 or 3 years, but you can deal with it for the short term. Then you could add the Bills equivalent of a "Patriot* Place" afterwards. Of course you're still in jerkwater Orchard Park. No one is going to go there unless a game is going on.

PTR

I completely agree. I literally took the Lambeau Field design and "Buffolo-ized" it. It would be nice to have more 300 level seating, and rearrange the luxury boxes somehow. Just thought I would start here.

If you think you could do that in one offseason for $150 Million I think you will be disappointed.

PTR

From WikiMania

On August 15, 2007, the Chiefs announced final plans for the renovated Arrowhead Stadium, which will cost $375 million. The cost was increased by $50 million due to an additional payment by the Hunt Family, whom were originally intending to donate just $75 million. The renovated stadium will feature the Chiefs Hall of Honor, currently known as the Chiefs Hall of Fame, a tribute to Lamar Hunt, and "horizon level" seating in which Luxury suite owners will be sitting outdoors. The stadium and new player and coaches facilities are still on schedule to be completed by the beginning of the 2010 NFL season. Though the stadium is referred to as "New Arrowhead Stadium," the building as of this time will not be renamed.

On August 28, 2008 the Chiefs announced their decision to sell the naming rights to Arrowhead Stadium. IMG, a sports and entertainment company, will help them locate a buyer

From WikiMania

On August 15, 2007, the Chiefs announced final plans for the renovated Arrowhead Stadium, which will cost $375 million. The cost was increased by $50 million due to an additional payment by the Hunt Family, whom were originally intending to donate just $75 million. The renovated stadium will feature the Chiefs Hall of Honor, currently known as the Chiefs Hall of Fame, a tribute to Lamar Hunt, and "horizon level" seating in which Luxury suite owners will be sitting outdoors. The stadium and new player and coaches facilities are still on schedule to be completed by the beginning of the 2010 NFL season. Though the stadium is referred to as "New Arrowhead Stadium," the building as of this time will not be renamed.

On August 28, 2008 the Chiefs announced their decision to sell the naming rights to Arrowhead Stadium. IMG, a sports and entertainment company, will help them locate a buyer

Googling the Lambeau renovation it was $295 Million, Soldier Field was $365 Million.

Very ambitious to create the photo. Although you left out some details like the end zone club seats on the tunnel end. Are you proposing dismantling all that or did you just forget it was there? Seems excessively expensive to demolish sections of the stadium just to put up a smallish video scoreboard.

Also, where do the Bills play while RWS is being rebuilt? The Rogers Centre? The Carrier Dome? You're dreaming if you think you can do all that in one offseason. Then there is the matter of the narrow concourses that are all underground. Those cannot be altered because you can't dig under the supports for the clubs and upper deck.

Realistically you would be better off building a new stadium than trying to renovate RWS. You have room across Abbott Road by ECC South. You'd lose a lot of parking during construction, 2 or 3 years, but you can deal with it for the short term. Then you could add the Bills equivalent of a "Patriot* Place" afterwards. Of course you're still in jerkwater Orchard Park. No one is going to go there unless a game is going on.

PTR

Ok, here is another version with half of the stadium's 300 level seating still intact, and the other half being renovated. This one also has the end zone club seats intact. It's an evolving idea...

http://i45.tinypic.com/10qko4m.jpg