Care to offer your opinion on Edwards as QB next year

Beerball

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have seen two posters call Trent out over saying he's not a fan in spite of the fact that they have no friggin clue what he said. If you had heard the words, you would know that Trent said them in the context that he's a player, not a fan. It's that simple. No different than if you said "I'm not a Bills' player, I'm a Bills' fan." Or the time Marv said when you start listening to the fans you end up in the stands with them.

If you want to knock Trent for his on field play, that's fine. You don't need to twist the meaning of his words around just to fit your agenda. You either didn't hear what he said or have major comprehension problems when you hear people speak. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't hear them & you're just parroting something that some idiot on WGR said.

When Trent Edwards earns his way to be a starter the tide will turn in his favor. Even DarthIce will come around when TE completes a string of passes. The truth of the matter is that unless the line is dramatically upgraded the same disabling scenario will play out for whomever is the qb.

A lot of people are harshly critical of Edwards. I understand their position. But Trent Edwards showed me a lot about his character when Brohm was added to the roster. Trent went out of his way to be very supportive of him and worked with him to learn the plays. That certainly wasn't a T.O. type of behavior.

We now have seen two posters call Trent out over saying he's not a fan in spite of the fact that they have no friggin clue what he said. If you had heard the words, you would know that Trent said them in the context that he's a player, not a fan.

As D. Talley said after he heard Trent's quote:

(to paraphrase) "I was a fan and a player."

And how was his quote taken out of context?

"Edwards, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm not a Bills fan, I'm a football player here. I'm a Bills player, so I can't really answer that."

I would be willing to bet if the question concerned the LA Dodgers, Edwards would have an opinion.

Linky to quote

Seems funny how other players "got it", but Edwards did not:

"Receiver Terrell Owens, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm pretty sure I would have. They deserve more."

It's that simple. No different than if you said "I'm not a Bills' player, I'm a Bills' fan."

Albany,n.y., asked if he thought the team played poorly from a player's perspective, said: "I'm not a Bills player, I'm a football fan here. I'm a Bills fan, so I can't really answer that."

I'm not a fan of a quarterback that is not a fan of this team.

I can not believe that 43% of the voters are okay with T.Edwards getting another shot at being the starting QB !!!!!!!!!! Are we just gluttens for punishment??? Has our fanbase gotten to the point that we have a loser's mentality and we are willing to go to no end to prove that a Bills or Sabres player will work out when it is obvious that the same results will prevail? It's sort of like making a cake using the same recipe and ingredients each time, but each time the cake turns out to be a flop even though you used the cheapest ingredients you could find at a discount supermarket !!! It's probably time to go to Top's or Wegmans and purchase some brand name products that are top shelf !!! If you get it?? Do you guys get it out there?? It's about time that the Bills spend the money in the right places for quality "products" and stop chasing mediocrity!

I'd trade 7 of my 9 draft picks away to get DT Suh !! The key to success in all levels of an organization is Quality not Quantity ! I'd trad my whole draft away for the next Peyton Manning !! So it is evident that talent evaluation and the willingness to spend money for top tier talent is necessary if we are ever going to make a run at the Super Bowl !! It is obvious that we will not take this path as our approach. Ralph Wilson spends a lot of money, but has not spent it wisely. If he did he would have put disputes aside and kept Bill Polian or hired a proven General Manager. So we already have one strike against us before we even sit at the table. Then we hired mostly unknown coaches that were promoted one step from where they were when they assisted Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech isn't even the most prominent college in Georgia !! So, in the end it came down to dollars versus sense !! Yes, I unfortunately believe that the Bills are likely to keep Trent Edwards. It is cost effective and will keep the non-playoff streak alive for at least another year. I wish Ralph Wilson a continued long, healthy life, but I am afraid to say that as long as he is the owner of the team we should

anticipate several more seasons of mediocrity and seasons reminiscent of last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before as history once again unfolds and repeats itself !!!!! :w00t:

Sully offers you a chance to vote.

Currently 65-35 no.

again a hearty welcome back - i am very glad to see you posting and active.

i have faith in coach gailey choosing the guy he wants to run his offense - maybe it wouldn't be my first choice - but that's why he is the head coach and i am just a life-long fan - and i'll support coach gailey's choice and whoever he chooses to be our qb in 2010.

as for that pos sully-in-pants - i couldn't care less what he thinks on any topic - especially my bills - mainly because my bills are not his bills.

Guest dog14787
Stevie Wonder would be a better QB than Trent Edwards.

Considering our O-line Stevie might actually feel safer for a few seconds anyway.

Edwards wasn't put in the greatest position to have success this season. HOWEVER (And this is coming from a guy who has an Edwards fan) he just isn't the answer at the QB position for the Buffalo Bills. He can't stay healthy and he just doesn't have the arm for the elements in Buffalo either.

Now if Edwards was brought back and he competed for the job with lets say Fitz, Brohm, and another vet (Kerry Collins or Pennington) and won I wouldn't be that against it as long as they brought someone in to compete with the trio currently on the roster.

Bottom line the Front Office needs to realize that Brohm, Fitz, and Edwards need an outside source to compete with. Honestly with Fitz being a good backup, Brohm having potential and Edwards not fitting the mold of a starter he might just be the odd guy out in favor of a veteran option.

Edwards wasn't put in the greatest position to have success this season. HOWEVER (And this is coming from a guy who has an Edwards fan) he just isn't the answer at the QB position for the Buffalo Bills. He can't stay healthy and he just doesn't have the arm for the elements in Buffalo either.

Now if Edwards was brought back and he competed for the job with lets say Fitz, Brohm, and another vet (Kerry Collins or Pennington) and won I wouldn't be that against it as long as they brought someone in to compete with the trio currently on the roster.

Bottom line the Front Office needs to realize that Brohm, Fitz, and Edwards need an outside source to compete with. Honestly with Fitz being a good backup, Brohm having potential and Edwards not fitting the mold of a starter he might just be the odd guy out in favor of a veteran option.

The odds are that Trent Edwards is not the answer at qb for the Bills. But what if he is given an opportunity to compete with the qbs presently on the roster and whoever is brought in, if that happens, and he outperforms them. Let the players make the decisions for the coaches by their performances on the field.

Some people were surprised that Jackson so thoroughly outplayed Lynch in the backfield. And accordingly Jackson got most of the playing time. That's how playing time should be earned. Not by preconceived ideas but how the player plays. Again, if Edwards outplays the competition then so be it. Is he the long term answer at the qb position? Probably not. That doesn't mean that I not going to give him an opportunity to prove me wrong.

I can not believe that 43% of the voters are okay with T.Edwards getting another shot at being the starting QB !!!!!!!!!! Are we just gluttens for punishment??? Has our fanbase gotten to the point that we have a loser's mentality and we are willing to go to no end to prove that a Bills or Sabres player will work out when it is obvious that the same results will prevail? It's sort of like making a cake using the same recipe and ingredients each time, but each time the cake turns out to be a flop even though you used the cheapest ingredients you could find at a discount supermarket !!! It's probably time to go to Top's or Wegmans and purchase some brand name products that are top shelf !!! If you get it?? Do you guys get it out there?? It's about time that the Bills spend the money in the right places for quality "products" and stop chasing mediocrity!

I'd trade 7 of my 9 draft picks away to get DT Suh !! The key to success in all levels of an organization is Quality not Quantity ! I'd trad my whole draft away for the next Peyton Manning !! So it is evident that talent evaluation and the willingness to spend money for top tier talent is necessary if we are ever going to make a run at the Super Bowl !! It is obvious that we will not take this path as our approach. Ralph Wilson spends a lot of money, but has not spent it wisely. If he did he would have put disputes aside and kept Bill Polian or hired a proven General Manager. So we already have one strike against us before we even sit at the table. Then we hired mostly unknown coaches that were promoted one step from where they were when they assisted Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech isn't even the most prominent college in Georgia !! So, in the end it came down to dollars versus sense !! Yes, I unfortunately believe that the Bills are likely to keep Trent Edwards. It is cost effective and will keep the non-playoff streak alive for at least another year. I wish Ralph Wilson a continued long, healthy life, but I am afraid to say that as long as he is the owner of the team we should

anticipate several more seasons of mediocrity and seasons reminiscent of last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before as history once again unfolds and repeats itself !!!!! :w00t:

Cry me a river Tony. I don't think you would know a good football coach if you fell over him.

As D. Talley said after he heard Trent's quote:

(to paraphrase) "I was a fan and a player."

And how was his quote taken out of context?

"Edwards, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm not a Bills fan, I'm a football player here. I'm a Bills player, so I can't really answer that."

I would be willing to bet if the question concerned the LA Dodgers, Edwards would have an opinion.

Linky to quote

Seems funny how other players "got it", but Edwards did not:

"Receiver Terrell Owens, asked if he would have booed the Bills as a paying customer, said: "I'm pretty sure I would have. They deserve more."

Albany,n.y., asked if he thought the team played poorly from a player's perspective, said: "I'm not a Bills player, I'm a football fan here. I'm a Bills fan, so I can't really answer that."

I think Edwards quote was just fine - he gave a stupid answer to a stupid question. It has to get old answering questions when you are trying to be a stand up guy, not turn on your teammates, AND try to please the fans. If it were me I would worry the least about pleasing fans too. You can't throw teammates under the bus. I know there is a statistic out there somewhere about how many times he has been sacked compared to other QB's - I also want to know if those stats are real comparing him to Brees

The odds are that Trent Edwards is not the answer at qb for the Bills. But what if he is given an opportunity to compete with the qbs presently on the roster and whoever is brought in, if that happens, and he outperforms them. Let the players make the decisions for the coaches by their performances on the field.

Some people were surprised that Jackson so thoroughly outplayed Lynch in the backfield. And accordingly Jackson got most of the playing time. That's how playing time should be earned. Not by preconceived ideas but how the player plays. Again, if Edwards outplays the competition then so be it. Is he the long term answer at the qb position? Probably not. That doesn't mean that I not going to give him an opportunity to prove me wrong.

I agree totally. Have not been a TE fan, but I see no problem in giving him a fair chance with the new regime.

I'm not a fan of a quarterback that is not a fan of this team.

Players should be players and fans should be fans, they shouldn't be mixed up. Jim Kelly grew up a Steelers fan, why did they keep him. If the Bills don't add a quarterback to this roster, the easiest choice on the planet is to start Edwards, because the other 3 suck 3 times as bad as he does. Unless Chan Gailey and his staff can work wonders with him, Edwards isn't the answer, but the other 3 have no chance of ever being anything but career backups or training camp bodies.

2 years ago I liked Edwards upside, after a few concussions and last years Dick Jaurons Climax, he really seemed lost. Right now he and Fitz IMO are the same player neither will stretch the field. Neither is the long term answer, in the right situation with a supporting cast and an Oline Edwards is better. I dont feel as a QB will be our route in the draft, I say release Fitzpatrick, bring a better free agent in let Edwards, Brohm, and the new guy compete all offseason.