Olympics 2010

josh_564

I think the point was that 'judged' sports suck in comparison to those where athletes are measured against opponents by objective measures. I happen to agree. I'd rather watch the downhill, bobsled or hockey than half-pipe or figure skating.

As for who benefits from bias, I'm sure it varies by sport.

I'm not sure I agree. Judges can screw up the results, without a doubt. But any sport that has a ref can also ruin the outcome. Hockey can be screwed up by a blown call (cough....no goal...cough), but I don't think many here would say hockey sucks in comparison to alpine events.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I agree. Judges can screw up the results, without a doubt. But any sport that has a ref can also ruin the outcome. Hockey can be screwed up by a blown call (cough....no goal...cough), but I don't think many here would say hockey sucks in comparison to alpine events.

Nor would I, but I think there is a big difference between refs (and their ability to screw up a game), and sports where the entire performance is subjected solely to the interpretation of a few people with various personal and political biases.

Hockey is still won by the team who scores the most goals, not the team that a panel of judges deems skated and passed the best.

How lame. I am almost positive that it didn't used to be that way. Good technique = longer flight = more distance means so there should be no need to judge.

True to a point. Not always though... Good technique will get the skier there... Yet... Imagine if they were close to winning? I suppose they could do a whole bunch of crazy things to get an inch ahead.

Remember when "flopping" by a hockey goalie was a strict no-no. A guy like Hasek proved that all wrong.

How lame. I am almost positive that it didn't used to be that way. Good technique = longer flight = more distance means so there should be no need to judge.

I think the point was that 'judged' sports suck in comparison to those where athletes are measured against opponents by objective measures. I happen to agree. I'd rather watch the downhill, bobsled or hockey than half-pipe or figure skating.

As for who benefits from bias, I'm sure it varies by sport.

I read the same article a few days ago. I agree but I find that the judges are pretty consistent. I was watching Aerial Ski Jumping and the judges remained pretty consistent. If they were harsh, it was across the board and not necessarily against one jumper.

Biathlon rocks. I had no idea it was so cool.

Yeah, I caught some of that last night too. Nice to see the US competing in some Nordic events.

The new sport that I really like is the 4 man Ski Cross race; excellent event; that's a wild course to share with 3 other racers.

I don't know a ton about her, but it seems to me that Julia Mancuso is a total diva, who is just trying to sell her lingerie or whatever it is she is selling..........She's mad at Lindsey Vonn for crashing - yeah, she wanted to do it!.........and what does this statement mean:

"People are having a hard time reaching their potential because it's such a struggle for attention,"

You need attention to reach your potential?

So I just flipped on the skating for 2 minutes and saw them give the scores for the chick who is apparently going to win.

When did they do away with the old system of showing what each judge gave?? That was the best part! If you're going to have a rigged sport, at least let us see how badly the Russian judge screwed someone over!

So I just flipped on the skating for 2 minutes and saw them give the scores for the chick who is apparently going to win.

When did they do away with the old system of showing what each judge gave?? That was the best part! If you're going to have a rigged sport, at least let us see how badly the Russian judge screwed someone over!

Don't they drop off the highest and lowest scores??

not sure if this was posted but link her mom died 24 hrs before her first routine and she won bronze tonight. i was at the holland house in vancouver tonight and i dont think ive heard a group louder these olympics then we were cheering for her

An awesome performance and a great crowd. My favorite medal of these games.