Expect The Bills To Use The Pistol Offense

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logically, the pistol offense is a brilliant idea. Your qb is in a half-shotgun, so he can scan the coverage easier than being under center. Your rb is 5 yards from the LOS and runs 2 yards into the handoff, giving him an opportunity to build up a head of steam before hitting the hole, unlike the shotgun handoffs. You can PA off the formation, also. Personally, I don't see what the offense can get any worse, so why not try it out?

I must say the LeFevour arguments and his supporting stats are sinking in on me...I really want to see what he does at the combine as that will drive his draft position.

Reminds me of an old cheer. He's got "LeFevour"..he's hot...he can't be stopped. :D

I think they switched to the pistol after everything else failed. I think he will be looking to build a more traditional offense . He did say he he wanted a big arm and running was a key . Personally I am against gimmicks they tend to have a short shelf life

Logically, the pistol offense is a brilliant idea. Your qb is in a half-shotgun, so he can scan the coverage easier than being under center. Your rb is 5 yards from the LOS and runs 2 yards into the handoff, giving him an opportunity to build up a head of steam before hitting the hole, unlike the shotgun handoffs. You can PA off the formation, also. Personally, I don't see what the offense can get any worse, so why not try it out?

I really don't care what they run as long as we have a competent offense next year.

Don't forget though that at his introductory press conference, Gailey mentioned that to play in Buffalo, he thought it was necessary to have a quarterback with a strong arm.

THANK THE FOOTBALL GODS!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT!!!!

I must say the LeFevour arguments and his supporting stats are sinking in on me...I really want to see what he does at the combine as that will drive his draft position.

The problem with Lefevour is that he may climb too high up the charts for the Bills to get him in round 3. A good combine will plant him mid first round. What happens if he is every bit as good as Bradford and Claussen at the combine or if Bradford is still showing effects from his injury?

The problem with Lefevour is that he may climb too high up the charts for the Bills to get him in round 3. A good combine will plant him mid first round. What happens if he is every bit as good as Bradford and Claussen at the combine or if Bradford is still showing effects from his injury?

IF he looks that good at the combine, then grab him rnd 1. that's a big if tho.

I'd like to see us draft LeFevour, preferably w/ #2 pick.

I know it's college ball, but LSU, Nevada, and Alabama have run it with success.

Nevada invented it and perfected it. They led the nation in rushing last year by a huge margin. Here's the catch:

You need a very talented running QB to execute it. The pounding a QB would take in the NFL running this would be unacceptable.

However, there may be variations of this offense which could be used.

Nevada invented it and perfected it. They led the nation in rushing last year by a huge margin. Here's the catch:

You need a very talented running QB to execute it. The pounding a QB would take in the NFL running this would be unacceptable.

However, there may be variations of this offense which could be used.

Maybe if you're running option plays from it, but it does make sense as an alternative to shotgun. Compromise between giving QB space, and still keep RB closer to LOS.

I don't understand all the excitement over Lefevour. I haven't read much that says anything other than his arm is

marginal, he played at a slightly lower level of competition and he's pegged as a mid-round pick.

I might be missing where folks scouts are that high on him.

Gailey used it in 2008

He hired 2 OL coaches that have run it's blocking scheme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense

I read this on Wikipedia: "Prior to the Chiefs implementing the spread offense, Thigpen had been playing erratically with the Chiefs, and he suddenly became poised and effective running the new offense.[46] His passer rating has climbed from 44.3 to 76.9 in the five games following his initial start at Atlanta.[46] "

Any chances they are attempting to replace Thigpen's name with Edwards or Brohm? I wouldnt be surprised if we make no major moves at QB, except for maybe a late round pick.

CG used it in 2008 because his 3rd string QB (Thigpen) was more comfortable in the shotgun. From Mark Gaughan's article

Even in his latest gig, in Kansas City, Gailey got good reviews for his work with a bad Chiefs team. Kansas City started the 2008 season with a power-running attack. But Chiefs running back Larry Johnson was suspended midway through the season and injuries forced the team to play its No. 3 quarterback, Tyler Thigpen. He was only comfortable in a shotgun, pass-oriented attack, so Gailey switched around the entire attack and got Thigpen to be productive the second half of the year.

IF we get a QB like Thigpen or Bradford, then maybe, but Gainey has a history of adapting his offense to fit his players, not the other way around...

The Bills' defense got whooped by KC in '08 when they were using that formation as I recall.

and look how dominant K.C. has been ever since???? :unsure: Remember, Barney Fife had a pistol too!! and he had a "habit" of shooting himself in the foot, just like the Bills probably will !!!!!!!! :doh: It's not like most of these coaches are world beaters! Most of them coached at some college in Georgia that wasn't even the best College in Georgia, others coache in the CFL where mostly 2nd rate players who couldn't make it in the NFL go, and then other coaches have such a prolific list of achievements in the NFL that most of Bills fans never even have heard of their name and had to punch it into the computer and determine who they are, and what credentials do they bring! I have heard of Chan Gailey, but he's not a household name! I never have heard of Modkins, and geez I can't even remember the other coaches names that were hired, and I bet hardly anyone out there including yourself would have been able to recognize many if any of these names prior to the hirings!!!! So, I don't understand the grounds quite yet for any optimisim, unless you run the Bill's finances and smile about all the money you saved by avoiding having to bring in anyone with significant accomplishmennts and notirioty!! Barring significant FA signings, and a Polian like impact draft my prediction for the 2010 season is: 5-11 !!!!!

Here's something that I can offer that is much more significant than the above blog: That historically, just about every team

that has switched from the 4-3 defense to the 3-4 defense has had a utterly pathetic season the following season that follows, and many of them have been worse than 5-11, so 5-11 at this point may be kind !! :doh::doh::doh:

Bull ****. Thats about as stupid a comment I have ever seen on this board.

I agree.......and I am not going to cry if Bradford ends up being the pick......they guy makes quick reads and was a winner in college

That is actually something the bills haven't tried in a while.....taking a QB from a big time college program who put up big numbers.......we keep taking these lesser school QB's and hope they work out