Cross Pashos, Franklin, and Pickett

BeastMode54

per rotoworld: Pashos is said to be going to the Redskins where his former position coach works and Franklin is said to be getting the franchise tag. Also, Pickett wants to stay in GB and they are trying to work out a deal. If we can't get a NT in FA, which is looking more and more less likely, we my have to use the 9 on Dan Williams. OR we could trade down, still get a top tackle like Bulaga, Davis, Campbell, Brown AND get either Dan Williams or Cody. Thoughts?

per rotoworld: Pashos is said to be going to the Redskins where his former position coach works and Franklin is said to be getting the franchise tag. Also, Pickett wants to stay in GB and they are trying to work out a deal. If we can't get a NT in FA, which is looking more and more less likely, we my have to use the 9 on Dan Williams. OR we could trade down, still get a top tackle like Bulaga, Davis, Campbell, Brown AND get either Dan Williams or Cody. Thoughts?

Why switch to the 3-4 when we have so many needs? Seems like this adds to the already sizable task of improving the talent on this team.

Because of the greed, owners and players alike, this could be a free agentless offseason because so many potential free agents are restricted. I want the Bills to be active, but would hate to have to pay average players (Dockery, Walker) superstar money. The draft will be big(as always), and I am also a fan of moving down if someone comes to us with a great offer (don't do it just to do it and take a s**t deal). If that happened, oh yeah, a guy like Dan Williams or top LT left is totally on my radar.

If you look at the draft order, moving down for DT/NT Dan Williams is problematic. Denver needs a NT badly and picks either right behind us or 2 back (coin flip with Jax!), so his selection is going to be contended if he's as good as advertised!! The answer lies in the scouting and whether the Bills want to gamble on greatness with Terrence Cody, only time will tell.

If you look at the draft order, moving down for DT/NT Dan Williams is problematic. Denver needs a NT badly and picks either right behind us or 2 back (coin flip with Jax!), so his selection is going to be contended if he's as good as advertised!! The answer lies in the scouting and whether the Bills want to gamble on greatness with Terrence Cody, only time will tell.

Terrence Cody is not close to a top 10 pick. I would be real upset if the Bills picked him at #9. Cody is the guy who will drop quite a bit this year much like Alan Branch did a few years ago. I see him going in the 25-40 range.

My main thought is that using #9 on a NT would be an abject fiasco when we have neither a QB nor an O-line. Yes nose tackles are hard to find, but they're easier to find than QBs or LTs. In today's NFL, 1st priority is to have a QB. (Fail.) 2nd priority is to protect that QB. (Fail.) Defense comes next.

Guest jcyikes

If Bradford is gone at #9, we should go OT with our first pick. This year's draft the DT position is deep so we should be able to get a quality DT in the 2nd or 3rd round. Realize one thing, we are not that far away from being a playoff team. If we won the first NE game and the Cleve game as we should have, we would have been 5-3 at the bye. We also played NO tough at home. So if we get a few key players and if the new coaching staff can bring in any kind of offense creativity we should make a run at the playoffs next season. Right now the Bills are like a 'box of chocolates'....

The WiseGuys

My main thought is that using #9 on a NT would be an abject fiasco when we have neither a QB nor an O-line. Yes nose tackles are hard to find, but they're easier to find than QBs or LTs. In today's NFL, 1st priority is to have a QB. (Fail.) 2nd priority is to protect that QB. (Fail.) Defense comes next.

I wouldn't use the #9 on a NT. I would trade down and take the best OT on the board and THEN take a NT with the pick we got from the trade down. Either Williams or Cody

Why are we switching to a 3-4?

Because it is a pain to defend and it allows us to put the best players on the field - maybe the D-line would be Stroud-Williams -Kelsey and the LBs Schobel, Mitchell Poz and Maybin?

Who knows, but we won't need converted safeties playing LB (although Scott was decent). It will allow the coaches the flexibility to put different personnel groupings on the field and make it more difficult for our opponents to defend.

Totally agree.

Besides, if you look at the best 3-4 NTs in the game, they come from all rounds of the draft:

Jason Ferguson - 7th

Aubrayo Franklin - 5th

Vince Wilfork - 1st

Kris Jenkins - 2nd

Jamal Williams - 2nd

Jay Ratliff - 7th

Outside of misjudging talent, there's no reason Buffalo couldn't go after a guy like Lamarr Houston or Cam Thomas in the 3rd or 4th round to fill the need at NT. It may mean suffering through a season with Stroud or Kyle Williams at NT (Williams is a better fit considering he played some NT at LSU, and is built wider in the lower body and is shorter and stockier than Stroud), but let's fact it...this team isn't a real contender in 2010 anyway.

Just my 1 cent.

The problem is that there is no QB worth taking early in the first round. So basically it looks like the Gailey will "coach up" Edwards, Fitz, and Brohm, and I'm fine with that idea (I do want them to draft a sleeper-type prospect later in the draft, though). That leaves the 9th pick to be either a LT or NT, assuming moving to the 3-4 is what's going to happen. Less likely is taking McClain, if they shore-up LT and NT in free agency, but with Schobel and Maybin likely moving to OLB (with Stroud and Williams as the ends), and Poz, Mitchell, Harris, and Palmer around, he'd be a luxury pick when a LT would be best.

I think Hampton will be available he is only short term.

I don't think bringing in a stud LB who will contribute right away is a luxury pick. Did you see who we had playing LB last year for this team. We have exactly 2 LB's on our roster who should have been on the field.. LB is the heart and soul of the defense. Get some mean SOBs to come in and fill the holes, shed blockers, and make some GD plays. If I have to see Poz get blocked by a guard 1 more time i will puke. If we are really switching to a 3-4 defense then the quick pus*y Lbs we have on our roster will not do! They couldn't even hack it in the 4-3 where there was less pressure to stop the run and cover. I see some mocks that have Miami taking McClain. I guess if we pass we will see how good he is only twice a year. Yeah there are other pressing needs, but are we really ready to reach again on a need, rather then drafting the best football player available?

I don't think bringing in a stud LB who will contribute right away is a luxury pick. Did you see who we had playing LB last year for this team. We have exactly 2 LB's on our roster who should have been on the field.. LB is the heart and soul of the defense. Get some mean SOBs to come in and fill the holes, shed blockers, and make some GD plays. If I have to see Poz get blocked by a guard 1 more time i will puke. If we are really switching to a 3-4 defense then the quick pus*y Lbs we have on our roster will not do! They couldn't even hack it in the 4-3 where there was less pressure to stop the run and cover. I see some mocks that have Miami taking McClain. I guess if we pass we will see how good he is only twice a year. Yeah there are other pressing needs, but are we really ready to reach again on a need, rather then drafting the best football player available?

Again I'm expecting Schobel and Maybin to move to OLB in the 3-4, and they'll join Mitchell, Poz, Harris, and Palmer. But for the 3-4 to work, the Bills need a NT. They also need a LT. I'd rate those MUCH higher than LB.

I would go with Buluga at pick 9 to solidify the LT position. Then I would go with MT.Cody to build the new 3-4 around. With the draft we solidify the trenches. I don't expect anymore then a few mid-level acquisitions like Jason Ferguson, Jarvis Green, Chris Chambers, and Kerry Collins. They will try to beef up the front 7 but don't expect Richard Seymour or Vince Wilfork. And on Offense don't expect any big names either.

We need to get bigger and badder in the trenches but the draft is going to have to be the avenue we take to do so.