Brees more proof....Always take your QB FIRST

BillsPhan

In 2001, Drew Brees was the "Colt McCoy" or "Tim Tebow" of this years' draft class. Obviously he was the second best QB prospect behind Vick, but unlike either Clausen or Bradford, whichever one you have ranked second this year, he had some limitations. He was only 6'0 tall and was not considered a "true first round"-worthy pick. In fact, when the Chargers took him with the first pick of the second round, I remember reading and hearing some experts accuse them of "reaching" at that early place in the draft, because they needed a QB so badly. Yeah sure, Brees was quite a "reach" wasn't he? :thumbsup:

So just like with Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner and Tony Romo, every team that had a first round pick in 2001 passed on Drew Brees. (Including the Saints!) And that simply amazes me because every year there are always at least 15 - 20 NFL teams that desperately need a true QB of the future. I understand the Ryan Leafs, Akili Smiths, Tim Couches and other classic first round QB busts make every NFL team gun-shy about investing so much money into first round QB's. But how can you not keep trying if you go 26 years between drafting Pro Bowl QB's like the Bills have?? (That is not a misprint - Kelly was drafted in 1983, and this past draft was 2009.) One Pro Bowl season out of Flutie and one Pro Bowl season out of Bledsoe, two QB's already past their prime, is not an "answer!" The Bills could have taken Brees with the number 21 pick of the 2001 draft instead of Nate Clements. What an absolute joke. Donahoe had Rob freakin' Johnson and had just decided to dump Flutie that April. And he passed on Brees. Along with every other team of course.

So now the Bills have another chance to draft Clausen or Bradford, or get even bolder if they are both drafted by their number 9 pick, and take McCoy or even Tebow there. Many experts and fans will mock them and call them idiots for reaching so far for McCoy or Tebow. But I would applaud them for "getting the QB first."

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2001, Drew Brees was the "Colt McCoy" or "Tim Tebow" of this years' draft class. Obviously he was the second best QB prospect behind Vick, but unlike either Clausen or Bradford, whichever one you have ranked second this year, he had some limitations. He was only 6'0 tall and was not considered a "true first round"-worthy pick. In fact, when the Chargers took him with the first pick of the second round, I remember reading and hearing some experts accuse them of "reaching" at that early place in the draft, because they needed a QB so badly. Yeah sure, Brees was quite a "reach" wasn't he? :blush:

So just like with Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner and Tony Romo, every team that had a first round pick in 2001 passed on Drew Brees. (Including the Saints!) And that simply amazes me because every year there are always at least 15 - 20 NFL teams that desperately need a true QB of the future. I understand the Ryan Leafs, Akili Smiths, Tim Couches and other classic first round QB busts make every NFL team gun-shy about investing so much money into first round QB's. But how can you not keep trying if you go 26 years between drafting Pro Bowl QB's like the Bills have?? (That is not a misprint - Kelly was drafted in 1983, and this past draft was 2009.) One Pro Bowl season out of Flutie and one Pro Bowl season out of Bledsoe, two QB's already past their prime, is not an "answer!" The Bills could have taken Brees with the number 21 pick of the 2001 draft instead of Nate Clements. What an absolute joke. Donahoe had Rob freakin' Johnson and had just decided to dump Flutie that April. And he passed on Brees. Along with every other team of course.

So now the Bills have another chance to draft Clausen or Bradford, or get even bolder if they are both drafted by their number 9 pick, and take McCoy or even Tebow there. Many experts and fans will mock them and call them idiots for reaching so far for McCoy or Tebow. But I would applaud them for "getting the QB first."

Taking JP Losman first was a great idea. :thumbsup:

Clausen is the only sure thing IMO. Bradford and his shoulder scare me. Beyond that, we'd be better off drafting a lineman to keep a future franchise QB healthy.

The saints hardly got "thequarterback first"..Look at their draft history for the four years preceding their superbowl victory...

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draf...=NOR&lg=nfl

Lots of offensive and defensive linemen. They got their quarterback by a trade for a bargain and Drew had already been an All Pro at the time. I guess negotiation for McNabb or Vick might or might not help somewhat but first and foremost great teams are built from the trenches back.

Clausen is the only sure thing IMO. Bradford and his shoulder scare me. Beyond that, we'd be better off drafting a lineman to keep a future franchise QB healthy.

They didn't take Lost-man first, they drafted Lee Evans at #13 in 2004.

Same as Drew Brees after LT.

The Chargers got lucky to draft Brees in the second round, after every other team passed on him. I don't think they would have traded him if not for his injury, so getting LT for a HOF career, and ending up with Rivers after trading Brees certainly proves that the Chargers are a smart team compared to most when it comes to personnel. However, it was Brees who got the SB win as game MVP playing for the Saints, while the Chargers still have not gotten into a SB since they traded Drew in 2006.

In 2001, Drew Brees was the "Colt McCoy" or "Tim Tebow" of this years' draft class. Obviously he was the second best QB prospect behind Vick, but unlike either Clausen or Bradford, whichever one you have ranked second this year, he had some limitations. He was only 6'0 tall and was not considered a "true first round"-worthy pick. In fact, when the Chargers took him with the first pick of the second round, I remember reading and hearing some experts accuse them of "reaching" at that early place in the draft, because they needed a QB so badly. Yeah sure, Brees was quite a "reach" wasn't he? :thumbsup:

Lets not forget Brees is now a Saint as opposed to a Charger.

The Chargers had 3 years to evaluate before giving up on Brees

The Saints never drafted him.

Maybe you should include always take the best FA QB first as well. This philosophy worked for GB this year.

The teams were already there the QB was just a missing piece of the puzzle.

The Jets with Sanchez and the Steelers with big Ben prove your theory right as well.

We need to get a solid QB but we also need to keep building our team in the process.

It seems as though if you don't draft one of the top 2 QB's your rolling the dice on someone that help in the short term.

good points...but as to sanchez and big ben...remember that the Jets has used two drafts to upgrade their offensive line before drafting sanchez. D'brick, Mangold, the acquisition of Fanaca were major upgrades (as well as getting some very good running backs) that helped Sanchez become successful. Pittsburgh always had good offensive line and good smashmouth runners, so Big ben was successful partially as a result of all the pieces being there when he came in.

LOL...only problem with your example is that if SD had followed your "proof" then they would have Drew Brees (2nd rd), but no LaDainian Tomlinson (1st rd).

Not only that, but the last time I checked, Brees plays for the team that did NOT draft him at all....New Orleans.

David Klinger, Ryan Leaf, Dan McGwire, JP, Jemarcus Russell, Matt Leinert, Tim Couch, David Carr, Akili Smith, Cade McNown- yeah it so important to always take your QB FIRST :thumbsup:

BTW the Chargers drafted LT first, Brees second

this thread is laughable

Brees is proof ... that his original team gave up on him too early, using the No. 1 overall pick on another quarterback just three years later. If Phillip Rivers hadn't held out of training camp, no telling whether or not Brees would have even gotten another chance to start in San Diego.

Brees is also proof that drafting a first-round QB isn't the only way to win a Super Bowl, since the Saints signed him as a free agent. Out of this year's final four teams, the Jets and Colts started their own #1 picks, Vikings and Saints didn't.

And Brees is proof of one more thing: when a good QB isn't pressured -- isn't even HIT in the entire second half -- he can pick defenses apart. Thank the Saints' offensive line, which featured four of their own draft picks, for that.

Maybe you should include always take the best FA QB first as well. This philosophy worked for GB this year.

The Jets with Sanchez and the Steelers with big Ben prove your theory right as well.

We need to get a solid QB but we also need to keep building our team in the process.

It seems as though if you don't draft one of the top 2 QB's your rolling the dice on someone that help in the short term.

I'm not convinced in any of these guys coming out this year.

None of them strike me as a Manning or even a Brady.

I like the idea of getting an older, solid veteran that can still do it for 1-2 seasons (McNabb, Garcia), a solid, younger #2 (Thigpen), and drafting perhaps a 2nd rounder (Pike), and letting Brohm and Edwards duel it out for a roster spot.

I think that this would send a clear message to both Brohm and Edwards, while giving them some time along with the draft pick to slow down, start over, and begin anew with a QB teacher we now have on our coaching staff. Let competition bring out the best player.

I still think that the Bills threw Edwards into the fire too soon. I don't think that legends like Walsh and Levy were wrong on him. He's got 1 year left on his current deal. I don't see the harm in taking him away from all of the pressure and truly allowing him to start over again before we make a decision on his future.

Same thing with Brohm. He looked like our most talented QB in that Falcons game. 1 game does not a career make, but he is young and was incredible in college. We got him for practically nothing, and I would like to see him given some tutelage like Edwards and groomed/ eased into the pro game.

I mean, I love Kelly and all, but it's not like it was when he was playing. Teams had the luxury of keeping its talent because free agency hadn't hit yet. Teams like the 49ers could have a Montana and Young on their team for years. I would argue that the time sitting behind Montana added to Young's career and improved him as a player.

Trust me, I think Edwards has regressed ever since the concussion he suffered in AZ 2 seasons ago. I'm not an Edwards lover. However, he has shown some flashes to me that would atleast warrant giving him a chance to start over under some sound coaching and a hopefully ever-improving offensive line.

And if drafting a QB is such a gamble, then sheer numbers increases your odds of striking gold.

GO BILLS!

Jim Kelly was coming off a shoulder injury out of Miami and we did good with him so I would take either of these 2 guys if available.

Maybe you should include always take the best FA QB first as well. This philosophy worked for GB this year. :blush:

Aaron Rodgers fell to GB kind of like Brees falling to the Chargers.

Face it, next to the Lions, we are the poster child for f-ing up draft picks in the 2000's. We could have had Rodgers in 2005 if we hadn't traded up for Losman in '04. We traded up so the Packers couldn't get him, supposedly. :thumbsup:

Lori mentions Brees virtually was not touched the whole game. I think Freeney was the only sack. It helps to draft good OL to protect any QB. If Clausen's not there, let's go Left OT.

The truth is there are several ways to find a franchise QB, trade, free agency, draft. None are 100% foolproof. The Bills have gotten QB's via all 3 methods over the past decade and have had little success. Ultimately, it boils down to your ability to identify the right guy, at the right time, in the right situation, and luck. The Bills have had none of those go their way. Is the front office with the new GM and assistant GM in a better position to judge talent than the past crew? I think so but only time will tell.

IMO, #1 and #2 is protect the QB and stop the run. The Bills as built don't do either well. Until those problems are solved I don't see how any franchise QB, no matter how talented, can thrive. He won't have the ball, or the lead, and will be under constant pressure. Those circumstances have already ruined a couple prospective QB's, Losman and Edwards.

Although I'd like to see Claussen or Bradford in a Bills uniform in 2010 I'm inclined to side with the idea that spending high picks on building the O-line, and 'D', is the best way to go, given the state of the team now.

More proof. Brees can't do what he does without an offensive line to give him the time and a respectable run game. Draft O-line first. Your own argument points to Brees being a second round pick. Not to mention the Chargers already had a pretty good line. Our line is in such complete and total disarray. We are not talking about an OK line and getting the QB of the future now. Whatever the excuse, youth, injury our line was TERRIBLE! THAT is our #1 priority.

I am a firm believer that it is having the talent and being in the right situation. Not only did everybody pass on Brees in the draft, but they passed on him in free agency too. Sometimes it is the right place at the right time. Brees would not be Brees if he was in buffalo or Miami.