What we saw today from Manning and Brees

Big Turk

What we saw from these two quarterbacks is that a receiver is never truly covered if the throw is accurate enough. Time and time again, Manning and Brees completed passes to their receivers who looked like they were covered very well by putting the ball in a place the defender couldn't get to. There were several times I thought to myself "I can't believe he just threw that pass" because the defender appeared to have him so well covered. Meanwhile, our QB's have enough trouble hitting wide open receivers...

What we saw from these two quarterbacks is that a receiver is never truly covered if the throw is accurate enough. Time and time again, Manning and Brees completed passes to their receivers who looked like they were covered very well by putting the ball in a place the defender couldn't get to. There were several times I thought to myself "I can't believe he just threw that pass" because the defender appeared to have him so well covered. Meanwhile, our QB's have enough trouble hitting wide open receivers...

Spot on...

Fitzy is terribly inaccurate and will never be any better than a career backup.

Edwards either is inherently too scared to throw the ball into tight coverage or DJ coached the manhood out of him. His problem was not throwing downfield, he took the same number of deep shots as Brees and Manning did in this game. But even then it was a safe throw. He rarely threw the ball up in jump ball situations to tkae advantage of TO's size and for the life of me the Bills never thrown the stop-fade pattern. He does throw a nice fade pattern in the red zone though. His problem is throwing to WR's who are "open" by NFL standards which as pointed out above may only be by 1/2 a step or the WR shielding half his body from the defender. He has the arm strength and accuracy to make the same throws Brees made all season long. If Gailey can restore his confidence maybe he has a chance to be the starter next season.

After watching that game, I realized (for the 1,000th time) that we just haven't had a guy like that since Kelly left, and we certainly don't have someone on our roster like that now. Sure, T.E., Brohm, Fitz, etc can be "coached" but they'll never be a Brees or Manning.

The next elite QB the Bills will have, is likely someone still in college or high school. Unfortunately.

Spot on...

Fitzy is terribly inaccurate and will never be any better than a career backup.

Edwards either is inherently too scared to throw the ball into tight coverage or DJ coached the manhood out of him. His problem was not throwing downfield, he took the same number of deep shots as Brees and Manning did in this game. But even then it was a safe throw. He rarely threw the ball up in jump ball situations to tkae advantage of TO's size and for the life of me the Bills never thrown the stop-fade pattern. He does throw a nice fade pattern in the red zone though. His problem is throwing to WR's who are "open" by NFL standards which as pointed out above may only be by 1/2 a step or the WR shielding half his body from the defender. He has the arm strength and accuracy to make the same throws Brees made all season long. If Gailey can restore his confidence maybe he has a chance to be the starter next season.

Also spot on, except no matter how much courage Gailry can coach into Edwards, he can't be coached out of being injury prone. In fact, one reason he lost his courage is due to injuries. The more courage he gets & hangs in there the more he'll be exposed to injury. The bottom line is he's too fragile to be relied on long term no matter how he plays in camp.

I've thought what Matter posted numerous times throughout the playoffs while watching what good quarterbacking the winning teams get from their starters.

Also spot on, except no matter how much courage Gailry can coach into Edwards, he can't be coached out of being injury prone. In fact, one reason he lost his courage is due to injuries. The more courage he gets & hangs in there the more he'll be exposed to injury. The bottom line is he's too fragile to be relied on long term no matter how he plays in camp.

I've thought what Matter posted numerous times throughout the playoffs while watching what good quarterbacking the winning teams get from their starters.

Did you also notice that both QB's had time to throw the ball and the luxury to step up in the pocket and set their feet to make those great throws? Also did you notice that on the interception that Peyton throw to seal the win for the Saints that there was excellent pressure from the Right DE that blew up the timing on the play and allowed the ball to be intercepted on a great play from Porter?

Football games are won and lost in the trenches more often than not. This game was not an exception. Two great QB's whose excellent play cancelled each other out. I hate to say it but game ball to Greg Williams and the Saints D.

Did you also notice that both QB's had time to throw the ball and the luxury to step up in the pocket and set their feet to make those great throws? Also did you notice that on the interception that Peyton throw to seal the win for the Saints that there was excellent pressure from the Right DE that blew up the timing on the play and allowed the ball to be intercepted on a great play from Porter?

Football games are won and lost in the trenches more often than not. This game was not an exception. Two great QB's whose excellent play cancelled each other out. I hate to say it but game ball to Greg Williams and the Saints D.

I use minny as an example. For the last 3 years they had a Great line, and great Defense. 1 thing they didnt have was a QB.

After watching - on many many occasions - Fits not being able to throw 12 yard comebacks and Edwards not being able to read a curl flat combo route, then seeing everyones golden boy LeFever only being able to throw the ball 57, and 60 years on his two attempts in some rediculous "longest throw competition" - I am starting to think I should try out for the team. We need a QB bad, thats a certainty. I think we should make a strong Push for Quinn, then Kitna.

When I hear experts on QBs talking, the three factors they all seem to agree on as the most important are an ability to quickly recognize the defense; quick decision making, and pinpoint accuracy. Ideally, you'd also like your QB to have a strong arm, and mobility. But all the the strength and fleetness of foot in the world are useless if you don't have those three other abilities.

Question: What is sorely lacking in Buffalo?

Answer: Pass protection.

BINGO-REENO!! It's a lot easier to be accurate when you're not expecting to get killed within 2 seconds. Look at the Bills/Colts game. See how amazingly accurate Fitz becomes, even in a snow storm, because he wasn't being pressured. Fix the O-line before we waste another QB.

PTR

BINGO-REENO!! It's a lot easier to be accurate when you're not expecting to get killed within 2 seconds. Look at the Bills/Colts game. See how amazingly accurate Fitz becomes, even in a snow storm, because he wasn't being pressured. Fix the O-line before we waste another QB.

PTR

What I saw yesterday -- on multiple occasions -- was that the defenses were putting pressure on the QB, but Brees/Manning timed their passes so well and eluded rushers that many of them became undefensible. Manning must have the deadliest 3 step drop of any quarterback ever, and Brees can get rid of the ball to his secondary receivers/Rbs in lightening time. OL is very, very important, but, c'mon... we could of had Dallas' O-line and Edwards/Fitz would have still been mediocre. They don't have the intangibles or accuracy that Manning and Brees have.

Bills/Colts game is completely moot... the Bills were playing against back-ups.

That is a fair critcism. Steve Young was injury prone and still made the HOF. Aikman had more concussions than Trent has had. Only time will tell but my bet is Trent starts next year.