This Was Super Bowl 25 Revisted

BillsNYC

I texted all my Bills fans friends in the 2nd Quarter that this was EXACTLY like Super Bowl 25.

Like the Giants, the Saints kept the high power Colts (Bills) offense off the field with strong defensive play and a slow and steady offense.

Watching Manning on the bench was like watching Kelly on the sidelines.

Schefter or somebody reported that Payton asked Parcells to give a speech to his team before the game but declined. Wouldn't shock me if Parcells helped with the game plan.

I texted all my Bills fans friends in the 2nd Quarter that this was EXACTLY like Super Bowl 25.

Like the Giants, the Saints kept the high power Colts (Bills) offense off the field with strong defensive play and a slow and steady offense.

Schefter or somebody reported that Payton asked Parcells to give a speech to his team before the game but declined. Wouldn't shock me if Parcells helped with the game plan.

That was the gameplan, but had the Saints not gotten that onside kick the game was likely going to go all Colts from then on.

somebody said it before the game and I disagreed props to them

Payton outcoached the Colts, simple as that. Just like Parcells outcoached Levy.

If you were rooting for the Colts, this game was painful because it felt as if the Colts were going to win a lot of the time in this game. Payton's coaching tonight was exceptional.

I dno't quite think so, just on the basis that the Colts didn't lose to a journeyman backup QB. The Saints passing game just did a little more to win unlike in 25 where the Giants D and ground game took the Bills out.

My point was more that Payton, like Parcells, outcoached what was probably a better team.

I agree with this thread and thought about it many times during the game. It was like I knew how this was gonna turn out. Just like Kelly in 25, Manning didn't touch the ball for 70 minutes of real time, from the end of the first half to the KO following N.O.'s TD after the on-side kick..

The Tortoise & the Hare Part II

Didn't someone here predict this would be how the Saints would win. :thumbsup:

Later on I saw Irvin mention this aspect on the NFL channel's pregame show. Payton is truly a clone of Parcells.

IMO, as great as they were, Manning's and Kelly's egos got in the way a bit. Both Thomas and Addai were ripping off solid run after solid run. They should have run both guys more and then forced the Giants/ Saints to adjust. SB 25 really pisses me off because the Giants were only playing 2 defensive linemen at times.

And the Saints/ Colts were pretty even talent wise. We were much more talented than that Giants team and had already beat them once. I believe we were 9 points favorites, so it was one of the biggest upsets in SB history.

IMO, as great as they were, Manning's and Kelly's egos got in the way a bit. Both Thomas and Addai were ripping off solid run after solid run. They should have run both guys more and then forced the Giants/ Saints to adjust. SB 25 really pisses me off because the Giants were only playing 2 defensive linemen at times.

And the Saints/ Colts were pretty even talent wise. We were much more talented than that Giants team and had already beat them once. I believe we were 9 points favorites, so it was one of the biggest upsets in SB history.

Believe it or not, that was by design. I was listening to the Boomer show on WFAN this morning and someone mentioned that the brilliance of that gameplan was that the Parcells/Belichick actually wanted the Bills to have success running on them because they were so fearful of Kelly's almost unstoppable passing attack. Not only does it run the clock, it would take Kelly out of his comfort zone and he wouldn't have the same confidence in the pass at the end of a tight game.