Reed not in HOF

damj

I think it's obvious that Carter's crappy attitude for most of his career has really slowed down his HOF progression. By numbers alone, he should make it in before Reed.

But then again if we were going just by numbers, Reed should have made it in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before Monk did.

I think it's obvious that Carter's crappy attitude for most of his career has really slowed down his HOF progression. By numbers alone, he should make it in before Reed.

But then again if we were going just by numbers, Reed should have made it in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before Monk did.

Thankfully numbers alone don't cut. Reed was the better player. He played outdoors and that effects his numbers some.

One of the writers in St. Louis, who is voting member, said that Reed was the best slot receiver EVER, and that his YAC numbers are second only to Rice. Carter is known to be a me first guy.

I'm glad - there's no way I want to share Canton with a bunch of crackhead Cowboys fans. It was bad enough with Irvin going in with Thurman, though it was funny to watch about half the stadium walk out when Thurman finished.

Wow. That must've been something to see.

Besides they predetermined ones I hope Dick LeBeau and Russ Grimm make it.

You're in luck: they both did.

I am glad Shannon Sharpe did not make it.

He will, and deservedly so. Then again, so will Reed @ one point. Even though Reed is a bit of a jerk, he was one heck of a receiver.

Looking forward to next year for sure...anyone know who's a 1st time candidate next year?

Eligible 2011 Players:

Jerome Bettis

Fifth all-time leading rusher with 13,662 yards to go with 91 touchdowns ... Six-time Pro Bowl selection ... Ran for 1,000 or more yards eight of his first nine seasons ... Needed just nine games to reach 1,000 yards in 1997 ... Retired after the 2005 season when he helped the Steelers win the Super Bowl in his hometown of Detroit

Marshall Faulk

Seven-time Pro Bowler is ranked ninth all-time with 12,279 rushing yards and tied for sixth in touchdowns with 136 ... Also ranks fourth in yards from scrimmage (19,154) ... Among the top-20 all-time in receptions with 767 catches for 6,875 yards ... Helped lead Rams to Super Bowls in 1999 and 2001, winning in the first trip

Willie Roaf

Eleven-time Pro Bowl selection, seven-time All-Pro ... Blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher in five of final six seasons, helping Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson run for 1,400 or more yards in three of his four seasons in Kansas City.

Deion Sanders

Finished with 53 interceptions, including nine for TDs. Also scored 13 other TDs through receiving and returns ... Named 1994 NFL Defensive Player of the Year ... Named to eight Pro Bowls ... Won Super Bowls in 1994 and 1995 with the 49ers and Cowboys, respectively. Will get a lot of votes simply on name recognition

Prognosis

'Dre should be able to crack this group. A big contingent of Bills and Stillers fans in Canton would be cool...

Unfortunately for Reed, the Super Bowl games were bad games for him. Remember his tantrum and thrown helmet that took us out of field goal range in the Redskins game? The drop on 3rd and short over the middle after the sack/safety against the Giants? I still swear we would have won the game had we sustained that drive. These all weigh heavily agianst him. If we had beat the Giants, he would be in.

Articles like this illustrate why Andre Reed has had so much trouble getting that yellow jacket:

Uncredited AP article on Fox Sports

Two other all-time top receivers, Cris Carter and Tim Brown, were not elected. Carter, in his third year of eligibility, stands third in career receptions with 1,101, while Brown, in his first year on the ballot, made 1,094.

Cris Carter and Tim Brown are mentioned as two other all-time top receivers but not Andre who made top ten for Hall of Fame this year. I do not believe he has ever been top WR in receptions or touchdowns any year he played. He was not even First-Team All-Pro having made Second team twice. He was "workman" in attitude and performance but not someone most will point out as Hall of Fame worthy.

Articles like this illustrate why Andre Reed has had so much trouble getting that yellow jacket:

Uncredited AP article on Fox Sports

Two other all-time top receivers, Cris Carter and Tim Brown, were not elected. Carter, in his third year of eligibility, stands third in career receptions with 1,101, while Brown, in his first year on the ballot, made 1,094.

Cris Carter and Tim Brown are mentioned as two other all-time top receivers but not Andre who made top ten for Hall of Fame this year. I do not believe he has ever been top WR in receptions or touchdowns any year he played. He was not even First-Team All-Pro having made Second team twice. He was "workman" in attitude and performance but not someone most will point out as Hall of Fame worthy.

It sucks! in a year like this where we got to stand while the Phantom of wide rite gets all over the SB Preview shows and see one great Bill not to get in the HOF is a hard feelin!

Unfortunately for Reed, the Super Bowl games were bad games for him. Remember his tantrum and thrown helmet that took us out of field goal range in the Redskins game? The drop on 3rd and short over the middle after the sack/safety against the Giants? I still swear we would have won the game had we sustained that drive. These all weigh heavily agianst him. If we had beat the Giants, he would be in.

I agree....That tantrum really knocked him down in my book..I for years said he wouldnt make the HOF on that play alone..I watched a video of him a few months ago andthe plays he made are HOF stuff...ITs sad one play on one game can cause his HOF demise...He shoulda kept his Helmet on

So since they are voted in for their entire career, player and coach, and Dick LeBeau coached for Bills does that make him one of us?

No. LeBeau was voted in only on his credentials as a player. The voters were instructed to not factor in any of his coaching and other activities. - said Pat Kirwan on Sirius on Friday.