Market is Tanking Today

BillsNYC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So buy put options... or have you already missed the boat?

I don't know, but I did buy SPXU yesterday, up 9.3% today.

Sweet :lol:

I'm thinking S&P goes to 1035, if it breaks down below that, and settles there,

LOOK OUT BELOW!

I don't know, but I did buy SPXU yesterday, up 9.3% today.

Sweet :lol:

I'm thinking S&P goes to 1035, if it breaks down below that, and settles there,

LOOK OUT BELOW!

Or you could maybe bet on an upswing and buy FAS, but don't keep it longer than a day ;)

Stupid old Europe messing up our stock market.

"Stupid old" Europe contracted their disease from "stupid old" U.S Sub prime Mortgages.

Also, this could be a precursor of things to come in the not so distant future for the U.S. Remember, this is a sovereign debt issue, these countries are not able to convince investors that they are able to effectively get their fiscal house in order. Guess what their main problem is? Spending

Helloooo

Guess what our main problem is? That's right

Of course we will never default, and as our much esteemed Fed Chief once said "The U.S. government has a (wonderful) technology, called a printing press that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost."

So never fear, helicopter Ben will come to the rescue, if we can't meet our debt obligations we will just monetize our debt and inflate our way out of it.

Which btw, This is precisely what will happen. You can bank on it!

"Stupid old" Europe contracted their disease from "stupid old" U.S Sub prime Mortgages.

Also, this could be a precursor of things to come in the not so distant future for the U.S Remember, this is a sovereign debt issue, these countries are not able to convince investors that they are able to effectively get their fiscal house in order. Guess what their main problem is? Spending

Of course we will never default, and as our much esteemed Fed Chief once said "The U.S. government has a (wonderful) technology, called a printing press that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost."

So never fear, helicopter Ben will come to the rescue, if we can't meet our debt obligations we will just monetize our debt and inflate our way out of it.

Which btw, This is precisely what will happen. You can bank on it!

So buy Credit Swaps against US Treasuries, if that even exists?

Or you could maybe bet on an upswing and buy FAS, but don't keep it longer than a day :lol:

I got burnt last year buying FAZ and SRS, I went to the well once too often. Actually this has been my first short position in the market since April of last year and I don't plan on holding on to it for too long. Whenever I exit these positions I'm buying TYO, EDC, ERX and TYH. I like speculating using the Direxion ETFs, and shorting treasuries, going long on emerging markets, oil and technologies is where I "think it's at". I think there is going to be a sweet opportunity coming soon.

So buy Credit Swaps against US Treasuries, if that even exists?

I'm big into precious metals. Right now people are fleeing to the dollar, only because it's the prettiest house in the ghetto, but when the focus turns to us, they will flee away from the dollar. It's only a matter of time.

I'm big into precious metals. Right now people are fleeing to the dollar, only because it's the prettiest house in the ghetto, but when the focus turns to us, they will flee away from the dollar. It's only a matter of time.

I'm scared to jump into the market right now. I work in Canada so investing in the US increases my FX risk as well as stock/industry specific risk. In Canada, the TSX is down as well but not nearly enough to present a strong buying opportunity.

Stupid old Europe messing up our stock market.

Also, this could be a precursor of things to come in the not so distant future for the U.S. Remember, this is a sovereign debt issue, these countries are not able to convince investors that they are able to effectively get their fiscal house in order. Guess what their main problem is? Spending

Helloooo

Cut nozzlenut some slack. The party faithful are starting to realize that the "It's Bush's Fault" strategy has worn thin with the Plebs so they are trying to find new strawmen

"There are two kinds of investors: those who don't know where the market is headed, and those who don't know that they don't know. Then again, there is a third type of investor - the investment professional, who indeed knows that he or she doesn't know, but whose livelihood depends upon appearing to know."

- William Bernstein

"There are two kinds of investors: those who don't know where the market is headed, and those who don't know that they don't know. Then again, there is a third type of investor - the investment professional, who indeed knows that he or she doesn't know, but whose livelihood depends upon appearing to know."

- William Bernstein

Funny, coming from a guy who wrote a book called The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio

Funny, coming from a guy who wrote a book called The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio

Recognizing that you can't predict the markets is the first step towards becoming a successful investor. Speculating isn't investing.

:worthy: here in PA, they just salt the snow. Brilliant, really.

:thumbdown:

I can beeat that. This morning, they were out on 270 salting dry pavement. Of course, now that Snowpocalypse has actually started and the roads are wet enough to dissolve salt, trucks are nowhere to be seen.

Hopefully, though, this gets me out of jury duty next week. Although my "Of course I'm not going to listen to the judge's instructions; I'm way smarter than him, he should listen to me" attitude should get me out just as easily.

I can beeat that. This morning, they were out on 270 salting dry pavement. Of course, now that Snowpocalypse has actually started and the roads are wet enough to dissolve salt, trucks are nowhere to be seen.

Hopefully, though, this gets me out of jury duty next week. Although my "Of course I'm not going to listen to the judge's instructions; I'm way smarter than him, he should listen to me" attitude should get me out just as easily.

Responding "I hate black people" in the survey works. In one case I worked, a woman who seemed a pretty benign juror asked "What?" to the judge about 10 times during voir dire (questioning/selection of jurors). She was easily excused even though a few of us thought she was faking her hearing loss.

Last time I came up for jury duty, they asked if I would be more likely to believe a police officer's account than someone else's, even though I would be charged to consider them equally. I honestly answered that "Yes, in most cases, I will be more inclined to believe the police officer."

Rejected. I didn't lie and I wasn't trying to get out of jury duty but that answer was grounds for immediate DQ. Next time I will lie and carry that bias into the court with me like most jurors carry their biases.

Responding "I hate black people" in the survey works. In one case I worked, a woman who seemed a pretty benign juror asked "What?" to the judge about 10 times during voir dire (questioning/selection of jurors). She was easily excused even though a few of us thought she was faking her hearing loss.

Last time I came up for jury duty, they asked if I would be more likely to believe a police officer's account than someone else's, even though I would be charged to consider them equally. I honestly answered that "Yes, in most cases, I will be more inclined to believe the police officer."

Rejected. I didn't lie and I wasn't trying to get out of jury duty but that answer was grounds for immediate DQ. Next time I will lie and carry that bias into the court with me like most jurors carry their biases.

I suppose it's not entirely untrue to say "I hate black people", since I treat everyone like a downtrodden minority.

I was thinking of taking one of my sister's constitutional law textbooks with me and ostentatiously reading it while I was waiting. Maybe offer up some commentary such as "Can you believe this Fifth Amendment bull ****? What a collection of !@#$ing stupid ideas..."