Market is Tanking Today

BillsNYC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down 240 today, hovering above 10,000.

The Northeast States have been reporting large reductions in tax revenue, recently. Billions. Their legislators and their Governors, for populist reasons, raised taxation and many of the big money, high tax-paying crowd left town... ;) They will blame it on the overall economic downturn...of course.

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13052.htm

Hadn't heard. All anyone here's talking about is SNOWPOCALYPSE-DC. They're predicting 12-20 inches of snow from noon Friday to late evening Saturday. And recommending that people store at least five days of non-perishable food. ;)

If DC were to face an actual natural disaster, it would thin the herd rather drastically.

Hadn't heard. All anyone here's talking about is SNOWPOCALYPSE-DC. They're predicting 12-20 inches of snow from noon Friday to late evening Saturday. And recommending that people store at least five days of non-perishable food. :)

If DC were to face an actual natural disaster, it would thin the herd rather drastically.

You need FIVE days worth of food...

....for those FOUR HOURS you MIGHT be "stuck" in the house. ;)

You need FIVE days worth of food...

....for those FOUR HOURS you MIGHT be "stuck" in the house. ;)

At least five days. And batteries and flashlights...because when the power goes out and you're freezing to death eating your cold Spaghetti-Os, you don't want to do it in the dark.

I was just showing people at work pictures of the Blizzard of '77, just to give them perspective.

Hadn't heard. All anyone here's talking about is SNOWPOCALYPSE-DC. They're predicting 12-20 inches of snow from noon Friday to late evening Saturday. And recommending that people store at least five days of non-perishable food. ;)

Maybe that's Obama's secret plan to fix unemployment.

I'm on board.

Maybe that's Obama's secret plan to fix unemployment.

I'm on board.

There's a plan I can get behind. Much better than offering companies a $5,000 tax credit for hiring someone who is unemployed. There's some real genius there. Yeah, having all those people in the WH with all that hands-on experience running companies is really paying off now.

Idiots.

There's a plan I can get behind. Much better than offering companies a $5,000 tax credit for hiring someone who is unemployed. There's some real genius there. Yeah, having all those people in the WH with all that hands-on experience running companies is really paying off now.

Idiots.

That is another waste of taxpayer money. You figure that one out of every ten new hirees will come as a result of the $5000 tax credit, which would mean that for every real new hire spurred from the government comes at a cost of $50,000. The $5000 new tax credit is nearly not enough incentive for most employers to hire. Companies that were planning on hire are thinking to themselves "Sweeet! we were going to hire anyway".

There is too much uncertainty out there for companies to want to hire in a meaningful way. They want the job market to show signs of a sustained recovery, home prices to stabilize, credit to free up, they want to know what the landscape is going to look like, whether or not there is going to be mandates for health insurance, new taxes, cap and trade, how the banking regulation is going to affect banking practices etc. etc.

What companies want is certainty, they want to know under what parameters they will have to work under. The best thing this administration can do to stimulate the economy is not just spend money just for the sake of creating a job, but to create an environment that is conducive for companies to grow. These things just don't happen over night, unfortunately these idiots don't see that. They want short term relief, specially knowing that election time is right around the corner.

I was in DC a couple of years ago when it snowed. The only time I've ever been offered a free upgrade to a sports car. Thanks, Middle Eastern guy behind the counter. That was funny.

:lol:

I just heard from a friend that "there's going to be 40 inches of snow; they're just not saying so because they don't want to panic everyone".

That friend is getting that from someone at Metro - who I know, who's in a position to know. I suspect, though, that it's a misstatement of "Metro is planning for 40 inches of snow". Still interesting - just shy of four feet would be a natural disaster here, albiet sadly of limited winnowing power.

Idiots.

Note to White House and Congress: most employers hire because they have in some way a business need that needs to be met. Tax credits are not a business need. You would know this if any of you had ever done anything economically productive in your lives.

Note to White House and Congress: most employers hire because they have in some way a business need that needs to be met. Tax credits are not a business need. You would know this if any of you had ever done anything economically productive in your lives.

I think Rahm pocketed $15 million for one year's worth of work when it was cool to work on Wall Street.