Men At Work

BLZFAN4LIFE

The stuff that floated to the top was pretty annoying. Any "hey, remember the 80s" countdown you run across tends to be filled with this obnoxious bouncy over processed noise. But it was also the last time there was a serious underground. It's weird, the stuff I hate the most was from the 80s but so is the stuff I love the most.

any decade that gave us the Jacobites, Black Flag, Minutemen, Dinosaur Jr, Replacements and Slayer can't be all bad.

any decade that gave us Haircut 100, Johnny hates Jazz, Flock of Seagulls and Poison can't be all good either

to lump "80s music" into one category would be a completely useless exercise. British music of the early 80s was fantastic. Van Halen = fantastic. Slayer? Dude, I used to be a metalhead, but Slayer sucked ;)

Good God. ;) They call THAT a copyright violation? Joe Satriani must be !@#$ing livid right now...

That's the first thing that came to mind for me. Did anything ever happen with that blatant ripoff?

That's the first thing that came to mind for me. Did anything ever happen with that blatant ripoff?

Yeah, the Recording Acadamey said "!@#$ you, Joe, Coldplay makes more money," and gave Coldplay a !@#$ing Grammy.

So the moral of the story is: stealing music is bad and RIAA will get you, unless you can make a shitload of money selling it as your own work.

Well, even "Happy Birthday" is copyrighted. ;)

From Sports Night:

Isaac: Someone holds the copyright to 'Happy Birthday?'

Dan: The representatives of Patty and Mildred Hill.

Isaac: It took two people to write that song?

to lump "80s music" into one category would be a completely useless exercise. British music of the early 80s was fantastic. Van Halen = fantastic. Slayer? Dude, I used to be a metalhead, but Slayer sucked ;)

meh, maybe you don't dig them but Slayer was the real deal. Reign in Blood was called the best metal album in the last 25 years by Metal Hammer magazine, kerrang called it the heaviest record of all time, Dave Lombardo and Kerry King are absolute monsters and drums and guitar respectively. Even for those who could care less about critics, Kerrang and Metal Hammer are written by metalheads for metalheads

If you're looking for thrash metal you can do a lot worse than those Slayer jams from the 80s (the last 20 years worth of stuff? eh, not so much)

That one part of the flute riff is exactly the same tune as kookaburra, like it is being quoted, which it probably is.

Plagiarism? For that 5 second riff, yes. Worth 60% of royalties in compensation? That is the ridiculous part. I seriously doubt the reason that song was so popular was because it quoted kookaburra. :lol:

The musical swamp that was the '80s can best be described in one sentence: Because "
" topped the charts for preciesly one week, Toni Basil is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. :lol:;)

She has got quite a career and is very accomplished... Check out her resume:

Toni Basil

You know what movie she was in, right? 1965's: Village of the Giants. I just caught this on late night TV (local Chicago) working midnights... :w00t:

Guys like Cincy were probably making out to that movie at the drive-in theaters back it the 60's! :D:lol:

Beau Bridges: Village of the Giants

Toni Basil was born in 1943... I didn't realize she was that old... She played "Red" in that movie. It also had Ron "Ronny" Howard in it too.

Quite a flick... Check it out sometime... :flirt::w00t:

Yeah, the Recording Acadamey said "!@#$ you, Joe, Coldplay makes more money," and gave Coldplay a !@#$ing Grammy.

So the moral of the story is: stealing music is bad and RIAA will get you, unless you can make a shitload of money selling it as your own work.

I would like to hear JA's take on this... Isn't he a lawyer for this kinda stuff???

meh, maybe you don't dig them but Slayer was the real deal. Reign in Blood was called the best metal album in the last 25 years by Metal Hammer magazine, kerrang called it the heaviest record of all time, Dave Lombardo and Kerry King are absolute monsters and drums and guitar respectively. Even for those who could care less about critics, Kerrang and Metal Hammer are written by metalheads for metalheads

If you're looking for thrash metal you can do a lot worse than those Slayer jams from the 80s (the last 20 years worth of stuff? eh, not so much)

Then again, I was more into hardcore than speed metal. I was always a fan of Exodus. And I'm not too sure about the best metal album for the past 20 years, either. Rust In Peace is just one of maybe 10 albums I'd rather listen to.

That one part of the flute riff is exactly the same tune as kookaburra, like it is being quoted, which it probably is.

Plagiarism? For that 5 second riff, yes. Worth 60% of royalties in compensation? That is the ridiculous part. I seriously doubt the reason that song was so popular was because it quoted kookaburra. :lol:

I hear you.

If the Girl Guides did it back in the 1930's... Why wouldn't they have done it under "public domain." I have a hard time believing that the Boy Scouts would have operated this way ESPECIALLY back in the 1930's. Do intellectual property laws even fit into the Boy Scout law???

Boy Scout Law

A scout is:

Trustworthy

Loyal

Helpful: A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.

Friendly

Courteous

Kind

Obedient

Cheerful

Thrifty

Brave

Clean

and Reverant

Anyway... Given who had done The Kookaburra Song (and wasn't that a name of an Aussie America's Cup Defender (Freemantle), Kookaburra III, back in the 1980's?) in the 1930's... You would think it would be a riff/tune associated with Australia?... Kinda like John Phillips Sousa's tunes are to the US.

Then again, I was more into hardcore than speed metal. I was always a fan of Exodus. And I'm not too sure about the best metal album for the past 20 years, either. Rust In Peace is just one of maybe 10 albums I'd rather listen to.

Right on about Exodus, I swear up an down on the genius if Bonded in Blood. Killer record. Was a big Vio-Lence fan too.

rust in peace is a solid record, but mustaine's voice get on my nerves after a bit. That being said, I fully intend on seeing them this summer

Right on about Exodus, I swear up an down on the genius if Bonded in Blood. Killer record. Was a big Vio-Lence fan too.

rust in peace is a solid record, but mustaine's voice get on my nerves after a bit. That being said, I fully intend on seeing them this summer

Tourski? I hadn't heard, might have to do some googling for that. Thanx!

Tourski? I hadn't heard, might have to do some googling for that. Thanx!

they are going out this summer with Testament and Slayer (sorry). I saw Testament with Motorhead a couple years ago and they were fine. felt a bit lethargic to me, like they've resigned themselves to being the opening act for metal nostalgia shows.

Slayer I am obviously very excited to see.

they are going out this summer with Testament and Slayer (sorry). I saw Testament with Motorhead a couple years ago and they were fine. felt a bit lethargic to me, like they've resigned themselves to being the opening act for metal nostalgia shows.

Slayer I am obviously very excited to see.

Slayer sucks, but I did listen to them. Don't now, obviously, but hey...I'm a Mustaine fan more than anything else.