RUMOR: Eric Ciano to Buffalo as Strength and Conditioning Coach

Mike32282

nice someone else that can learn on the pro level...

that's like saying ralph Wilsons lawyer is learning on the pro level not much changes if the guy is a good S+C coach then that is what he is body chemistry changes with age not with the draft.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills had the most players on Injured Reserve in the league last year. They hire a strength coach who has no pro experience, having only worked with young players, learning to shape their bodies out of high school. I think I can justify criticizing this....

no you can't he isn't a pediatritian trying to perform brain surgery. He is doing the same job under the same conditions there are no unknown tangibles with this job. He doesn't need heart or leadership skills he says eat this and do these excersizes and thats what they do. S##T my chemo isn't going to work any more at the pro level now my cancer will kill me.

Don't expect any miracle drop in the number of IR'd players since:

1. We have young players.
  2. We had a defensive scheme that called for small players.
  3. We will still have some young, small players playing in the cold.
  4. We had, and may still have, a porous O-Line that lets bodies fly in every direction.
  5. We might still have to fill injuries with scrubs, who, when they get dinged up, will be replaced with other scrubs, thus dropping initial scrubs to IR to free up cap space.

Bingo.

#2 is a real serious issue. If your scheme calls for LB's that weigh 220 pounds, then it's just an injury waiting to happen. Colts have similar problems for similar reasons.

4. We had, and may still have, a porous O-Line that lets bodies fly in every direction.
  5. We might still have to fill injuries with scrubs, who, when they get dinged up, will be replaced with other scrubs, thus dropping initial scrubs to IR to free up cap space.

It also will take time for his program to work there is no magic voodoo involved that makes body make-up and chemistry change as soon as a guy is hired it will take time for his program to have an effect.

EDIT: I meant "roster" and not "cap" space.

this is all true other than the D problems... most of out injuries were with the o-line (which for those watching that disaster in toronto was one of the best coached o-lines in the league according to the commentators) and once they got injured, then their replacements got injured, and so on. as far as the D... our LBs really werent too banged up this season were they? i mean once Poz started using the arm brace...

ah well... either way, something (lots of things) need to change

Not to knock it, but to be a strength and conditioning coach at any level you probably need a bachelor's degree in exercise science and know your way around a gym.

Unless the new guy has a special sauce that would prevent guys from breaking their bones, then I don't think it matters who they hire.

Exactly. LoL. I don't understand what folks would be complaining about.

[

"young players" and "cold weather? I think not.

You forget the main reasons --- conditioning, awareness, toughness and mostly just plan bad luck.

Exactly and it says just that in his bio...

Eric Ciano is in his fourth season as Georgia Tech's Director of Player Development. He oversees Tech's strength and conditioning program for all sports while working primarily with the football team.

Ciano earned his bachelor's degree in 1997 from Springfield (Mass.) College, where he lettered in football. He added a master's degree from Tennessee in 1999. A certified collegiate strength and conditioning coach, Ciano is a member of the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Association and the National Strength and Conditioning Association.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...ano_eric00.html

how has GT's injuriy situation been???? That's the question that needs to be examined!!

this is all true other than the D problems... most of out injuries were with the o-line (which for those watching that disaster in toronto was one of the best coached o-lines in the league according to the commentators) and once they got injured, then their replacements got injured, and so on. as far as the D... our LBs really werent too banged up this season were they? i mean once Poz started using the arm brace...

ah well... either way, something (lots of things) need to change

Did you forget when Chris Draft, Ashlee Palmer, and John Corto were a startling LB corps?

"young players" and "cold weather? I think not.

You forget the main reasons --- conditioning, awareness, toughness and mostly just plan bad luck.

You make no sense.

Not to knock it, but to be a strength and conditioning coach at any level you probably need a bachelor's degree in exercise science and know your way around a gym.

Unless the new guy has a special sauce that would prevent guys from breaking their bones, then I don't think it matters who they hire.

It matters big-time.

There are tens of thousands of guys who have a bachelor's degree in exercise science. Assuming that all of them could be great coaches for NFL guys, well it's an astonishing leap of faith.

The last guy had a bachelor's in health fitness from Springfield College, one of the best in the country at this, worked for teh University of Tulsa for six years, becoming director of Strength and Conditioning. He also did quite a bit of work with Rusty Jones. And yet if you look at his results, they were simply terrible.

And no, it wasn't because the scheme called for a lot of small guys. The Tampa, Chicago and Indy schemes also call for a lot of small guys but they haven't had anywhere near the number of injuries that the Bills suffered the past three years, not even close.

S&C coach is a crucial position and needs a really good coach. You don't just plunk an exercise science grad in there and think that the problem is solved, anymore than you pick a high school coach as your NFL head coach.

I haven't any idea if this guy is good, but this hire is absolutely critical and I sure wish we had gotten a guy who had proven himself at the pro level.

1) Actually young players heal quicker and generally stay healthier.

2) Chicago, Indy and Tampa have the same scheme which calls for small players. They were much healthier than the Bills.

3) Chicago also has young small players playing in the cold. They were much healthier than us, and have been consistently for years.

4) The reason we had to fill injuries with scrubs was because we had way more injuries than virtually any teams. When you stay healthy, you don't play as many replacements. And the reason we dropped those players to IR was because they had injuries which were putting them out for the year. The reason we put many guys on IR was simply that we had far more injuries than other teams. Other teams have the same system as far as IR. Yet nobody came near us. Why? Simply because we had more injuries and more serious injuries than other teams.

These are justifications, and they just don't hold up. Chicago is the proof, as they have a small defense, and they play in the cold, but they have one thing we don't, Rusty Jones. Well, two things, Rusty Jones and far fewer injuries.

Bingo.

#2 is a real serious issue. If your scheme calls for LB's that weigh 220 pounds, then it's just an injury waiting to happen. Colts have similar problems for similar reasons.

Bills on injured reserve: 21

Colts on injured reserve: 7

Yeah, I can see the similarities.

I hope he tells them to get a lot of rest and doesn't over work them. My strong suspicion is the former s&c coach was a gung ho type who pushed them too hard, which accounts for the excessive injuries.

I would add our former coaches fascination with undersized players as contributing to the situation. You can say it is an anomoly or lack of luck to have so many players on IR in a given year. Jauron's squads were consistently high on the list.

For those complaining Ciano has no NFL experience........they also hired John Gamble, who has 16 years of experience in the NFL, 12 of those being a strength and conditioning coach for the Dolphins. More:

"He joined the Dolphins after having served ten years (1984-93) as the head strength coach at the University of Virginia. He also served two seasons as assistant strength coach (1982-83) and one year on a part-time basis (1981) at Virginia. He was named 1985 Strength Coach of the Year by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. In 1998, he was named by the Professional Strength Coaches Society as its Coach of the Year."