RUMOR: Eric Ciano to Buffalo as Strength and Conditioning Coach

Mike32282

I am trying to find anything I can find on Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator, and came across this on the Georgia Tech message board...

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41117

Buffalo turning into GT North

Damn Chan is taking someone else now, Eric Ciano looks to be going to Buffalo.

After all his years of coaching he really doesn't have other contacts?

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=25

Here's the blurb from that article...

GA Tech: Our sources tell us GA Tech head strength coach Eric Ciano will be joining Chan Gailey’s staff with the Buffalo Bills.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and here's his bio ....

Eric Ciano is in his fourth season as Georgia Tech's Director of Player Development. He oversees Tech's strength and conditioning program for all sports while working primarily with the football team.

Ciano came to Tech in 2004 from the University of Tennessee, where he served as associate head strength and conditioning coach since 2002. He previously spent two years (2000-02) as the head strength and conditioning coach at Louisiana Tech, following two years (1997-99) as a graduate assistant at Tennessee.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...ano_eric00.html

I am trying to find anything I can find on Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator, and came across this on the Georgia Tech message board...

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41117

Here's the blurb from that article...

GA Tech: Our sources tell us GA Tech head strength coach Eric Ciano will be joining Chan Gailey’s staff with the Buffalo Bills.

Good find!!

I'm not sure how some can criticize this hiring. He's just a conditioning coach...

Good find!!

I'm not sure how some can criticize this hiring. He's just a conditioning coach...

The Bills had the most players on Injured Reserve in the league last year. They hire a strength coach who has no pro experience, having only worked with young players, learning to shape their bodies out of high school. I think I can justify criticizing this....

I hope he tells them to get a lot of rest and doesn't over work them. My strong suspicion is the former s&c coach was a gung ho type who pushed them too hard, which accounts for the excessive injuries.

Did you forget to push the sarcasm button? You are being sarcastic no?

When 22 guys end up on IR, people have a right to criticize. Now, I don't know anything about the guy but I am VERY sceptical bringing in a college guy with no pro expirience. I hope he's good because I'm equally concered about finding a good DC as well as a good strength and conditioning coach........

The Bills had the most players on Injured Reserve in the league last year. They hire a strength coach who has no pro experience, having only worked with young players, learning to shape their bodies out of high school. I think I can justify criticizing this....

Not to knock it, but to be a strength and conditioning coach at any level you probably need a bachelor's degree in exercise science and know your way around a gym.

Unless the new guy has a special sauce that would prevent guys from breaking their bones, then I don't think it matters who they hire.

I am unsure of this guys record as far as injuries and time missed due to injuries. I am not defending him, but you do know that a college football rosteris much larger than an NFL's, and most D! schools have trainers that handles 2-3 teams(all different seasons). Anybody who is S&C at these schools normally graduate with atleast a masters from a D1 sports school and stay in the same program. Because of the workload involved at the college level most of these guys get paid way more and recieve better benifits for their families by staying in college.

The guy could be a complete bum for all I know, but there are reasons to stay in college and not move to the NFL.

Heres to staying healthy

I am unsure of this guys record as far as injuries and time missed due to injuries. I am not defending him, but you do know that a college football rosteris much larger than an NFL's, and most D! schools have trainers that handles 2-3 teams(all different seasons). Anybody who is S&C at these schools normally graduate with atleast a masters from a D1 sports school and stay in the same program. Because of the workload involved at the college level most of these guys get paid way more and recieve better benifits for their families by staying in college.

The guy could be a complete bum for all I know, but there are reasons to stay in college and not move to the NFL.

Heres to staying healthy

Exactly and it says just that in his bio...

Eric Ciano is in his fourth season as Georgia Tech's Director of Player Development. He oversees Tech's strength and conditioning program for all sports while working primarily with the football team.

Ciano earned his bachelor's degree in 1997 from Springfield (Mass.) College, where he lettered in football. He added a master's degree from Tennessee in 1999. A certified collegiate strength and conditioning coach, Ciano is a member of the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Association and the National Strength and Conditioning Association.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...ano_eric00.html

Now....where did I put the tar and feathers? :worthy:

You'll find them with all of the stuff from your last party. :ph34r:

Yes, having a degree in the field and only working with kids leaves him wanting for the pro level. I don't think it will be a hard adjustment for the man. :thumbsup:

I get the impression that some people just like to criticize for the sake of criticizing.

Unless Hell has frozen over he should be better than Allaire.

Don't expect any miracle drop in the number of IR'd players since:

1. We have young players.
  2. We had a defensive scheme that called for small players.
  3. We will still have some young, small players playing in the cold.
  4. We had, and may still have, a porous O-Line that lets bodies fly in every direction.
  5. We might still have to fill injuries with scrubs, who, when they get dinged up, will be replaced with other scrubs, thus dropping initial scrubs to IR to free up cap space.

EDIT: I meant "roster" and not "cap" space.