Buddy haters beware

Oh really? If a GM can pick players, what else does he need to do? We've had 10+ years of GM's who couldn't pick between a tootsie roll and a dog turd. I'll be perfectly happy with a disheveled funny-talkin' senior citizen of a GM is he can make us a winner.

On a side note, great article by Bucky. It is possible to write about the Bills without resorting to doom and gloom. If Sully wrote that article he would have focused on far DeHaven has fallen, having to crawl back to the team that threw him out the door.

PTR

I'm pretty sure tootsie rolls are in wrappers, which may have been a point lost on our former GM's.

Here's an excellent article on DeHaven's return to Buffalo. Here's the part that SCREAMED to me:

"Buddy Nix is a football guy, just wait and see," DeHaven said. "You don't have to take my word for it, but Buddy Nix knows football players. There are a lot of guys out there who know heights and weights and 40-yard times, but not all of those scouts can tell you whether the guy is a football player. Buddy Nix can."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/943876.html

WTF? Seriously...wtf does DeHaven know? I mean didn't he get the message from the Media and some fans that Nix is too old, was just a 'comfort pick' for Ralph? :wallbash:

This is a quote you just have to love:

"I had a hard time rooting for them the first year I was gone," he said. "Since then, I was always rooting for the team I was coaching and rooting for the Buffalo Bills. That's my team. I don't know if there is a city in the whole country who deserves to have a world championship more than Buffalo."

Here's an excellent article on DeHaven's return to Buffalo. Here's the part that SCREAMED to me:

"Buddy Nix is a football guy, just wait and see," DeHaven said. "You don't have to take my word for it, but Buddy Nix knows football players. There are a lot of guys out there who know heights and weights and 40-yard times, but not all of those scouts can tell you whether the guy is a football player. Buddy Nix can."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/943876.html

Excellent. Just like Ditka says, some guys look great but I want football players! There is a difference.

I'm shocked to hear someone praise the man who just gave him a job. This endorsement is definitive proof that Nix was the perfect choice to fix this team's many ills. I mean, obviously DeHaven has a huge axe to grind and still can't do anything but praise Nix's skills as a scout. Great find, all arguments should cease immediately.

I mean, never mind that nobody said he's not a good scout. But there's a hell of a lot more to being the general manager than spotting good players.

True, but he didn't have to say that, he could have offered the standard answer. Also, please explain what more is involved in being a GM than spotting good players?

So all those armchair draft guru's don't know what they're talking about? I'm shocked.

I'm with you on all of that. I think there's a general funk in place that is just plain pissed that everything can't be fixed yesterday. It's going to be a long, long off season.

Bingo, Nanker, Bingo. This place has become a collective suicide watch. I'll check in after the draft...to listen to all the whiners talk about what a crappy job Nix et al did.

Buffalo's 2009 draft with Nix in the mix:

1. Wood
  2. Levitre
  3. Byrd
  4. Nelson

I feel pretty good about his ability to scout talent since his comments more or less indicate that Maybin was a Ralph and/or Dick pick.

why is everyone giving up on Maybin? The kid barely got any play and was playing a position that he was way undersized for in the NFL. If we didn't have a dumb-a$$ coaching staff they would have tried to place him somewhere that fit him better. Like Outside Linebacker. Give us a 3-4 defense and put Maybin on the outside and I bet he does well.. He's not a huge guy, but he has enough size and speed to make an impact at OL.