USMCBillsFan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell - how big is yer fryer???

We usually lay streaky bacon over the breast portion of the bird, throw some salt and herbs and lemon halves in the middle and then smear the whole bird in butter.... MMMMMMMMMMM

130349[/snapback]

:lol::lol: Back here in the good ole' USA they make turkey fryers. It's awesome but peanut oil is expensive as hell....

Bloody hell - how big is yer fryer???

We usually lay streaky bacon over the breast portion of the bird, throw some salt and herbs and lemon halves in the middle and then smear the whole bird in butter.... MMMMMMMMMMM

130349[/snapback]

Just make sure to have an angioplasty machine set up on the table, Nick. :lol:

Connecticut is the Land of Steady Habits. We'll be roasting this year, like every other.

Jeezus wept... I can see you eating in the garage because the fryer is taking up the entire downstairs of your house....

Roasting has gotta be the way to go with turkey. Shove whatever you want on in or around hit - but turn that oven up and roast the bastard til it is good and cooked and juicey.....

Homer Simpson moment - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Turkey........... arrrgggggggggggg drool

I've always loved my turkey baked but I deep fried one last year and I'm hooked. The only thing I miss about the baked turkey is having the stuffing cooked inside the bird. I hope everyone here at TBD has a safe holiday....

130346[/snapback]

I was at an early Thanksgiving party last weekend. We had two birds, one baked, one deep fryed. Being another CT traditionalist, I had never had the deep fried bird before. It was pretty good, but I think I still prefer the baked.

Jeezus wept... I can see you eating in the garage because the fryer is taking up the entire downstairs of your house....

Roasting has gotta be the way to go with turkey. Shove whatever you want on in or around hit - but turn that oven up and roast the bastard til it is good and cooked and juicey.....

Homer Simpson moment - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Turkey........... arrrgggggggggggg drool

130360[/snapback]

Naw, you get an outdoor fryer like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...garden&n=507846

I want one, but havn't pulled the trigger yet; I'm a bit worried about all of the "my house burned down because I was frying a turkey" stories you read after Thanksgiving...

Having some Cadburry and crisps while frying would be nice, Nick... *hint hint* :lol:

CW

You guys make it too complicated.

I watch football, drink beer, and wait for Mrs Campy to let me know it's ready.  Very little stress that way :lol:

130367[/snapback]

She's just afraid you're going to hurt yourself if you did the cooking. :lol:

CW

If I sat down with a plateful of deep fried turkey all i would be able to picture is my heart attack 4 days after the meal...

and that picture of the turkey fryer looks like a grenade launcher more than a cooking device.... :lol:

130377[/snapback]

You don't deep fry the inside of the turkey :lol: The oil only contacts the skin (which is crispy and awesome.

Turkey deep frying is the way to go. We just did one Sunday. We knew we were going to have to go eat a dry oven baked bird on Thursday and figured we'd really enjoy one first.

I coat the skin in a cajun rub and inject the turkey with about 2 pints of cajun marinade, 45 minutes in the oil for a 13 or so pound bird. Once you try it, you'll be hooked.

I filter the oil afterwards and can usually get 5 uses out of it. I agree, the peanut oil is pretty damned expensive. About 25 dollars for 5 gallons (about what you use to fill the fryer).

In the oven, in a bag.  Comes out pretty much the same as fried - without the risk of burning my house to the ground.  Plus - STUFFING!

130388[/snapback]

Darin, you seem to be a pretty smart guy. Turkey deep fryers use a jet engine sized propane burner, they are meant to be used OUTSIDE, away from the house. I've cooked about 10 deep fried turkey (including a couple at tailgates) and have yet to burn down anything. :lol:

I've always loved my turkey baked but I deep fried one last year and I'm hooked. The only thing I miss about the baked turkey is having the stuffing cooked inside the bird. I hope everyone here at TBD has a safe holiday....

130346[/snapback]

Cooking stuffing inside of the turkey is considered a bad idea. The stuffing heats up at a slower rate than the bird (you want 170 deg. F internal temp.) The salmonella et al can migrate into the stuffing - the bird reaches 170 but the stuffing can be 130, 140 or so. not good. To get the stuffing at 170, you end up drying out the bird.

If baking, instead of frying, stuff the bird with quartered apples, onions, oranges, celery etc to provide moisture and flavor - and discard those after the turkey is out of the oven. There are gazillions of out-of-the-bird recipes out there.

Happy Thanksgiving!