(OT) Happy Thanksgiving...

USMCBillsFan

Mostly from idjets that either put too much oil in the fryer, or put the top on the fryer and walk away despite the explicit instructions not to.

You can also use the fryer for a low country boil.....mmmmmm.

Not to mention a stojanload of wings.

130628[/snapback]

Maybe... Still cause for concern.

What's a low country boil?

CW

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Word of caution. If you are not talking "Brown and Bag", but are talking the brown paper variety, be aware that there are now many additives to the paper put in through the kraft process. These chemicals can volatilize and get into the meat.

Public Service Announcement A-146-7

130496[/snapback]

And yes, this is the same Kraft family that owns the Patriots volatilizin' our meat!!

I understand that the "officials" from the FDA that are supposed to be monitoring this poisoning of America are paid off!! :w00t:

And yes, this is the same Kraft family that owns the Patriots volatilizin' our meat!!

I understand that the "officials" from the FDA that are supposed to be monitoring this poisoning of America are paid off!!  :w00t:

130728[/snapback]

I don't know how it got it's name, but it's an industry standard way to make brown paper. I did some environmental work for Union Camp in Savannah, had an engineer showing me how the stuff gets made.

One of the best things about the south.

130699[/snapback]

One should steam the shrimp, not boil, so they don't get soggy. I like to steam them head on, so they keep their moisture. Use good ingredients and be very careful of your timing. Silver queen corn, vidalia onion, bite size new red potatoes. Boil the crabs until they just turn red.

One should steam the shrimp, not boil, so they don't get soggy. I like to steam them head on, so they keep their moisture. Use good ingredients and be very careful of your timing. Silver queen corn, vidalia onion, bite size new red potatoes. Boil the crabs until they just turn red.

130757[/snapback]

You're right BiB, steam is the correct method for the shrimp. By the time I add them, enough water has boiled off that the shrimp sit on top of the other goods for some steamin'. Depending on the occasion, we'll either do our own spic emixture or just use the Old Bay Boil Bags. Ever had a bag break? Most people don't like it (too spicy), but damn does it give the boil some character. I actually prefer it that way.

You're right BiB, steam is the correct method for the shrimp. By the time I add them, enough water has boiled off that the shrimp sit on top of the other goods for some steamin'. Depending on the occasion, we'll either do our own spic emixture or just use the Old Bay Boil Bags. Ever had a bag break? Most people don't like it (too spicy), but damn does it give the boil some character. I actually prefer it that way.

130786[/snapback]

If we didn't make our own spice, we'd usually use the dry mix and spoon it in. You don't have to be too heavy handed to get good flavor. Even with the mix we'd add some crushed juniper berries and garlic. It also doesn't hurt to add a bottle of dark beer to the boil water.

how do i cook my Turkey?

it is the funniest thing....

it comes home from the store in this wrapped plastic....and it ends up on my table....cooked to perfection...golden brown...with stuffing inside it.

what happens between the time it comes home from the store and the time it goes into my mouth...?

I have no idea.

:w00t:

how do i cook my Turkey?

it is the funniest thing....

it comes home from the store in this wrapped plastic....and it ends up on my table....cooked to perfection...golden brown...with stuffing inside it.

what happens between the time it comes home from the store and the time it goes into my mouth...?

I have no idea.

:w00t:

130812[/snapback]

Snoopy understands all.

Propane is sacriledge. You ever pit cook a pig?

130590[/snapback]

I haven't done it myself, although I have been to "pig pickings" where this was done. At one such event, when the pig was ready, the host took a long sword and skewered the eye of the pig, brought it up to his mouth and chowed down!!! Apparently it was some sort of tradition. :w00t:

I haven't done it myself, although I have been to "pig pickings" where this was done.  At one such event, when the pig was ready, the host took a long sword and skewered the eye of the pig, brought it up to his mouth and chowed down!!!  Apparently it was some sort of tradition.    :w00t:

130883[/snapback]

Might have been one of the three bottles of wild turkey it took to get the pig cooked.