Why do QB's go under center and not 100% shotgun

taterhill

I have always wondered about this....I have never played football and would think the shotgun with a back in the backfield would allow the QB more time to look over the D.....can one of the guys/gals here with greater football knowledge than me fill me in...thanks

They go under center to maintain the threat of the run. 100% shotgun means almost all pass. Runs from shotgun aren't as effective.

I wonder if this is really true? The K gun ran fine from shotgun the only benefit from under center is the handoff occurs closer to line of scrimmage with rb moving vs handoff at shotgun point.

They go under center to maintain the threat of the run. 100% shotgun means almost all pass. Runs from shotgun aren't as effective.

The man speaks the truth... The running game is usually limited to end around, draw, or QB choice reads....

So, the QB's that are in shotgun never develop footwork for drops or even the run game... All the more reason why I hate it in HS, even more than college..

To add... Any run out of shotgun is designed to look like a pass anyways, unless you are in Gailey's pistol...

When the QB is under center, there are more options available. For example play fakes. When the QB is back off

center it limits the amount of running plays you can execute. The offense needs to keep changing up the pre snap looks so the defense can't key in on anything.

playing quarterback my whole life, i actually preferred to be under center rather than in shotgun. when you are in shotgun, there is that one second where you aren't looking at the defense but your focus is on catching the ball. under center you can see what the defense is doing while dropping back...just more time to analyze. if you never played quarterback, you are probably wondering, "its just one second, what are you talking about?" i guess its just one of those things that you have to play the position to understand.

It's all about speed of the game. Under center, the RB has a running start when he gets the ball and basically the play is a constant progression.

From Shotgun, the ball is handed to the RB from a stationary position, 3-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, and then he has to start his run. In the NFL, that few seconds of start-up is more than enough time for the D to break through the line and cause a loss.

Mainly, if you do it that way, it's when the D is expecting a pass or some form of trickery.

You see it more in college, like the option, because the D speed is slower and you can get away with it.

Make sense?

playing quarterback my whole life, i actually preferred to be under center rather than in shotgun. when you are in shotgun, there is that one second where you aren't looking at the defense but your focus is on catching the ball. under center you can see what the defense is doing while dropping back...just more time to analyze.

interesting...never thought of that

playing quarterback my whole life, i actually preferred to be under center rather than in shotgun. when you are in shotgun, there is that one second where you aren't looking at the defense but your focus is on catching the ball. under center you can see what the defense is doing while dropping back...just more time to analyze. if you never played quarterback, you are probably wondering, "its just one second, what are you talking about?" i guess its just one of those things that you have to play the position to understand.

Thats a really good point

I have always wondered about this....I have never played football and would think the shotgun with a back in the backfield would allow the QB more time to look over the D.....can one of the guys/gals here with greater football knowledge than me fill me in...thanks

To maximise the exchange and minimise error ie. Shotgun flying all over the place, requires a QB to catch the thing, allows the QB to read the play as he gets the ball rather than watching the centre's A$$ for the snap. And what others said...

Shotgun take away your play action fakes.

On a good play action the defense loses site of the ball when the QB fakes the handoff.

Your draw plays aren't nearly as effective.

You loose your abilities to pitch the ball out as well.

The exchange from the center to the qb is riskier.

I wonder if this is really true? The K gun ran fine from shotgun the only benefit from under center is the handoff occurs closer to line of scrimmage with rb moving vs handoff at shotgun point.

Play action is also much more effective when the QB is dropping back. When the handoff happens when the RB is standing still, and the QB too, it's much easier to see for the defense.

Also, runs develop quicker from a dropback. When the QB is behind center, the RB starts forward at the snap. He recieves the ball closer to the line with a head of steam. When the QB is in shotgun, the RB waits till the snap reaches the QB, and takes maybe one step forward to recieve the handoff. He doesn't get the nandoff till maybe a second has passed. The plays develop much slower.

If you doubt this, just notice that the time when almost all NFL teams use shotgun is on third and long, when there is virtually no threat of a run. The defense already knows it's a pass, so you don't gain anything by going under center. In that situation, you want to improve the chances for the passing game, you don't care about the run, so you go shotgun.

The K-gun used a lot of pulling guards and off-tackle plays. Those aren't quick-hitting plays. The guard needs time to pull, so the slower-developing play isn't as much of a handicap, particularly if you have a line that is superb at pulling.

But the shotgun eliminates the possibility of quick-hitters up the middle and makes play action much less effective.