Warner set to retire tomorrow; is he a Hall of Famer?

Lori

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2002 St. Louis 7-6 220-144 1,431 .655 3 11 67.4

2003 St. Louis 2-1 65-38 365 .585 1 1 72.9

2004 NYG 10-9 277-174 2,054 .628 6 4 86.5

2005 Arizona 10-10 375-242 2,713 .645 11 9 85.8

2006 Arizona 6-5 168-108 1,377 .643 6 5 89.3

So he was hurt in '03 and played on run oriented teams in the other years. I notice the last 3 of those years he had a QB rating equal to or better than Favre's career rating.

So he was hurt in '03 and played on run oriented teams in the other years. I notice the last 3 of those years he had a QB rating equal to or better than Favre's career rating.

He was actually hurt pretty much that whole time period - shoulder/thumb/concussions. Once he got his shoulder/thumb stuff worked out medically and started wearing the compression gloves to help his grip, he went back to being one of the top guys in the NFL.

While most of the sportswriting world has already speculated that Kurt Warner's press conference, set for 3 p.m. ET Friday, will serve as his official retirement announcement, our own inside source informs me that Warner is definitely walking away. I've learned not to question his judgment.

Which begs the question of Warner's legacy, of course. If you'd asked me about his Hall of Fame chances a year ago, I would have hemmed and hawed before saying that yes, he "probably" had a good chance to get in "someday." (Okay, so I hedge my bets.) Looking back, I wonder what I was thinking, because the two-time MVP looks like a first-ballot lock.

Since The Associated Press started handing out Most Valuable Player honors in 1957, only six players have won the award more than once: Peyton Manning (4), Brett Favre (3), Jim Brown (3), Johnny Unitas (3), Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Warner. Brown, Unitas, Montana, and Young were each elected in their first year of eligibility. Manning and Favre certainly will be. Is there any valid reason to keep Warner out of that group?

If there is, let's hear it.

He's abso-friggin-lutely a hall of famer in my opinion.

for me he just doesnt pass the "smell" test when i watch him play. he always looks awkward and gets really frazzled with the slightest amount of pressure. and oh yes, those horrible fumble turnovers. he was replaced in saint louis by bulgar, and in ny by manning.

i know some stats may say otherwise, but for me at least id never consider starting him over any HOF QBs

for me he just doesnt pass the "smell" test when i watch him play. he always looks awkward and gets really frazzled with the slightest amount of pressure. and oh yes, those horrible fumble turnovers. he was replaced in saint louis by bulgar, and in ny by manning.

i know some stats may say otherwise, but for me at least id never consider starting him over any HOF QBs

Actually, Warner can be knocked for certain things, but by any account there's no guy in recent NFL history who has been more willing to accept the blow that comes with intense pressure in order to deliver the ball at the last possible moment.

"Frazzled by pressure" gets it backwards.

I missed the opportunity to reply with stats and such, so let me simply say this, it would be crazy if Warner wasn't in the HOF. He should be a first ballot depending upon whether he and Brett will be eligible at the same time. Since I fully expect Favre to retire at 70 and pass away at 74, that shouldn't be an issue.

It has to be asked...is he really retiring, or just Favreing?

Valid question ... but I don't think he was kidding when he spoke about the impact Anquan Boldin's injury against the Jets last year had on him. Add his own concussion issues and the killshot he took in the playoff game, and I have no problem believing that he's done for good.

Speaking of the other guy, loved the column one of my favorite writers filed after the Vikes-Saints game: Favre de La Mancha.

Actually, Warner can be knocked for certain things, but by any account there's no guy in recent NFL history who has been more willing to accept the blow that comes with intense pressure in order to deliver the ball at the last possible moment.

"Frazzled by pressure" gets it backwards.

and coughing up the untimely pick or fumble.

the guy had the best WRs in Saint Louis and the best WR Fitzgerald in AZ. when he was with Giants and the WRs were good but not great he struggled mightily