New mock draft

berndogg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya...offensive line means nothing. Tell that the to the Ravens and the Jets. Get a clue buddy. Just because there are exceptions like Rothlesberger and Rogers it doesn't invalidate the rule!!!! For example with Rogers. See how much better they got as a team when the line started blocking? Big Ben is a freak of nature at QB and is just to big and tough to be taken down by CBs and small linebackers. Get us one of those VETERAN exceptions to QB our team and then I will relax a tad on the importance of the line.

Tell the RBs how little importance the O-line is. Willis McGahee in Buffalo....ok average back....Willis McGahee in Baltimore with a good line...TD FREAKIN MACHINE!!! Go back to football 101.

The thing is, the Jets had the league's top defense and rushing game and only made the playoffs because the Colts bailed on the game in week 16. The Colts would definitely have won otherwise. Assuming that the Jets lost that game (as they should have), they go 8-8 primarily because of poor QB play. I'm not actually knocking Sanchez, btw. He improved, and was a better player during the playoffs. But compare the Jets with the Colts. The Jets are pretty much a better team in every category except one: QB. Take away Manning from the Colts, and you're looking at a 6-10 team. With him, they could have gone 16-0 if they so chose.

Not really. Those 220lb guys do a great job of shedding blocks and stuffing the run. The Bills' D coordinators don't have to resort to tricks like lining 'em up in the gaps instead of placing 'em outside of the DEs to shut down everything outside.

Draft that QB and watch that run defense improve. Oh, and don't worry if Clausen and Bradford are both off the board by then; just take the next best one.

Or get a great DT ala Ngata. Maybe that McCoy guy if he's there. Then watch as the LBs suddenly get better.

C

The thing is, the Jets had the league's top defense and rushing game and only made the playoffs because the Colts bailed on the game in week 16. The Colts would definitely have won otherwise. Assuming that the Jets lost that game (as they should have), they go 8-8 primarily because of poor QB play. I'm not actually knocking Sanchez, btw. He improved, and was a better player during the playoffs. But compare the Jets with the Colts. The Jets are pretty much a better team in every category except one: QB. Take away Manning from the Colts, and you're looking at a 6-10 team. With him, they could have gone 16-0 if they so chose.

Both teams have great offensive lines. Neither team is in the AFC championship game without one!

Only difference is Peyton Manning? Peyton Manning? The sure to be hall of fame, potentially best QB to have ever played the game, Peyton Manning? That's like saying the only difference between the New York Nicks and the Chicago Bulls was Micheal Jordan!!!! The Bulls won with Micheal Jordan so we should draft a shooting guard!!!! QB is VERY important but to use Peyton Manning as your example for why it is more important than offensive line is flawed logic.

If we can draft Peyton Manning or a guy that is likely to be Peyton Manning in 3 years at #9 in the draft, I'm all for it. LOL

would be great. but you need the right partner for that. OTs will be flying of the board as they usually do. good chance you miss out on any if you trade down too far. and tht can even mean pick 15.

and with our line as it is now a guy like bradford will likely be out for the season on day 1

The same mock has them picking Ducasse in round two. That could be excellent.

Why draft Bradford when we can pick up any one of a few free agent QBs? A free agent QB with the upside of being the franchise and a rookie LT can help us immediately. A free agent LT and a rookie QB with the upside of being the franchise get you nowhere.

First round QBs like Bradford are a dime a dozen. If he falls to #9 in my mind that makes it much less likely that he is a franchise QB. Franchise first round QBs are usually taken in the top 5 picks IF NOT #1 over all. Bradford is a MUCH bigger gamble than a solid LT that will make the pass AND the run game better.

Pre combine Bulaga from Iowa is my guy. He is supposedly in the Eric Wood, Andy Levitre vein of motivated nasty blockers with mean streaks. He has Buffalo written all over him.

Yeah, Bradford is a much bigger gamble than a solid LT. But a late-round QB is beyond a gamble. There is a word for late-round QBs. Backup. Yeah, the occasional one hits, but it's like a 5% chance. At least with Bradford the chances go up to 30 - 60% maybe.

If you think Bradford has a chance, you HAVE to take him.

Not a single one of the FA QBs out there has the potential of being a franchise guy. A stopgap maybe. Or if you trade for McNabb, that would get a franchise guy in here quick. But other than McNabb, Clausen and Bradford, the odds nosedive.

I don't know a whole lot about how Bradford projects to the pro's. From what I have seen of him, I am not sure he has the arm to play in Buffalo. Clausen definitely does. Anyone who has watched a lot of Bradford have anything to say about his arm strength?

!@#$ McClain, we dont' need a god damn LB when we need QB, and both lines first. Getting a LB with the 9th pick = a dumb ass move Donahoe or Marv would pull

When Keith Ellison is a starting LB on your team, you need a LB(unless Maybin moves to OLB). The only QB worthy of the 9th pick is Clausen. There are going to be several QB's available in round two and maybe three. LT and OLB are needed just as badly as a rookie QB. Would I give my left nut for Kevin Kolb? Yes. Would I give a fourth rounder for Troy Smith you bet.

would be great. but you need the right partner for that. OTs will be flying of the board as they usually do. good chance you miss out on any if you trade down too far. and tht can even mean pick 15.

and with our line as it is now a guy like bradford will likely be out for the season on day 1

bradford is more brittle than edwards. he looks more like a shooting guard than an NFL qb. pass. he'd never survive the hard cold turf of the ralph in november.

I fully believe that first pick should be a LT....

BUT

I really think there are a lot of ways we can go here......QB IS a need.....so what it really boils down to is Sam Bradford a NFL starting caliber quarterback? AND if you are going to draft him then you need to protect him......

I still think a LT in a trade down is the best possible scenario.

If I recall Buddy's words correctly, he said "Folks with good quarterbacks is winnin and folks without 'em is losin."

I think we are taking a QB if either of those two are still on the board when we go. I am not saying we should necessarily, I'm just predicting that we are because Buddy as much as said it.

Thing is, he is right. Folks with good QB's are winning. Folks without 'em are losing.

Yeah, Bradford is a much bigger gamble than a solid LT. But a late-round QB is beyond a gamble. There is a word for late-round QBs. Backup. Yeah, the occasional one hits, but it's like a 5% chance. At least with Bradford the chances go up to 30 - 60% maybe.

If you think Bradford has a chance, you HAVE to take him.

Not a single one of the FA QBs out there has the potential of being a franchise guy. A stopgap maybe. Or if you trade for McNabb, that would get a franchise guy in here quick. But other than McNabb, Clausen and Bradford, the odds nosedive.

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A LATE ROUND PICK QB? I'm talking free agency.

I guess we have radically different opinions of what a franchise QB is. I'm not talking the next Jim Kelly which Bradford isn't, I'm talking about a quality NFL starter. Travaris Jackson and Troy Smith were effectively starters before being displaced by Farve and Joe Flacco. Jason Campbel and Kyle Orton are currently starters. Any of these guys are already better than what we have and with the addition of a quality LT that can be good options for us for more than a year or 2.

THAT BEING SAID

If we are going to get a QB to put him on the bench for a year or 2 to learn while we put together our offensive line....get an actual project guy. Don't get a fragile mediocre armed high draft pick QB who loses strength with every shoulder injury he gets. Get a guy with a cannon arm and protypical size, over 197lbs, a good head on his shoulders and teach him the pro game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mock-draft-version-1

9. Buffalo Bills -- Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma: Been here, done that, right, Bills fans? Long searching for the next great quarterback of Western N.Y. -- whether it be Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman or Trent Edwards -- the Bills take another shot at a potential quarterback of the future in Bradford. I'm told his shoulder should be fully healed by Draft Day. We'll know for sure after a few individual workouts. If both Clausen and Bradford are gone, look for Buffalo to scoop up an offensive tackle.

I will be extremely pissed if we draft bradford with McClain and Bulaga still on the board. I know we need to address the qb situation, but Bradford is too big a question mark to take with the #9 overall pick. McClain and Bulaga both looked like they could've been NFL starters in 2009, both are at positions where we have a need, much safer picks in my opinion.

I will be extremly pissed if we draft anyone with McClain on the board. The bills need QB, LB, and OT. There is little difference in this draft from an OT we would get at #9, and what we could get in the second round. But LB does not appear to be as deep. McClain is a game changer on D, draft him.

!@#$ McClain, we dont' need a god damn LB when we need QB, and both lines first. Getting a LB with the 9th pick = a dumb ass move Donahoe or Marv would pull

Exactly right. LBs are a luxury pick. Everyone around here is so in love with the idea of switching to the 3-4 that it's blinding them to how easy it is to acquire LBs in this league.

McClain is a game changer on D, draft him.

He's not a game changer until you have a defensive line that can keep those 300 lbs. offensive lineman off of him. I agree that he'll probably be a fantastic player in the NFL, but he's not the right player at the right time for the Bills.

if we are going to the 3-4; expect LB and Dline early and often in the draft. I would like to see a vet brought in to play LT while they groom/develop Bell. Move Wood to center (his college position!) start Incognito and Levtre at Guards

but expect big & impact defense guys early with move to 3-4. And I'm all for that. Jets model seems to be a good approach to replicate. Our skilled players should be better than the Jets skilled players.

McClain and Cody (I don't care about his weight - we need big weight on d line)