In-game text message

My buddy, a die hard Jets fan, sent me a text message at 4:26pm yesterday:

"They are playing great"

The Jets had just taken a 17-6 lead in the 1st half and kicked off to the Colts. Before I could respond with an agreement text, the Colts ran three plays and went 80 yards for a momentum swinging TD.

I had to laugh, because it occurred to me that no Bills fan would ever send this message. Either for fear of the jinx, or fear of the impending doom that we all knew must be coming. In fact, I have evidence of this.

I live in FL and was watching the Bills opener vs. the Pats on Monday Night. I was by myself at my house. When Freddy Jackson scored in the 4th qtr to give the Bills an 11-point lead, my phone blew up. Seriously, 6 or 7 text messages in 30 seconds. All of them saying "Wow Bills" or "They're gonna do it" or "Bills are legit" or something similar. And honest to God, not one of them was from a fellow Bills fan. It was all college friends or people from work who root for various teams. And I didn't respond to any of them. I knew it was too early to pop the champagne.

Superstitions are silly, and obviously a text message doesn't cause an 80-yard drive. But why my friend would even allow those words to leave the silence of his own mind is beyond me. I wouldn't do it.

"They are playing great"

The Jets had just taken a 17-6 lead in the 1st half and kicked off to the Colts. Before I could respond with an agreement text, the Colts ran three plays and went 80 yards for a momentum swinging TD.

I had to laugh, because it occurred to me that no Bills fan would ever send this message. Either for fear of the jinx, or fear of the impending doom that we all knew must be coming. In fact, I have evidence of this.

I live in FL and was watching the Bills opener vs. the Pats on Monday Night. I was by myself at my house. When Freddy Jackson scored in the 4th qtr to give the Bills an 11-point lead, my phone blew up. Seriously, 6 or 7 text messages in 30 seconds. All of them saying "Wow Bills" or "They're gonna do it" or "Bills are legit" or something similar. And honest to God, not one of them was from a fellow Bills fan. It was all college friends or people from work who root for various teams. And I didn't respond to any of them. I knew it was too early to pop the champagne.

Superstitions are silly, and obviously a text message doesn't cause an 80-yard drive. But why my friend would even allow those words to leave the silence of his own mind is beyond me. I wouldn't do it.

Bills fans would never send that text because it happened during a conference championship game

"They are playing great"

Classic post llr...so true. I would never, ever count a Bills victory until the clock shows 0:00 at the end of the 4th quarter and the Bills have more points than the opposition. Bills fans are conditioned to assume and expect the worst..and our team often delivers.

Same game, I refrained from texting the guy I work with who lives outside of Boston until the game was over. And he did the same, no texts until it was over.

What blows my mind is that people are actually texting at these events... I mean all that other stuff (jinxes, whatnot) aside... What is with people, being at the game not enough?... They need to be on the phone or texting too. :P

What is it with our society?

One thing if you are at work... Who wants to work... :devil: Or, shooting the Sh*t at home when you have nothing to do. But snyting else is beyond me. We live in a LAMP world. One time I was out hiking and we reached the top of the mountian... Just after us there was a ditzy gril that made it up too... First thing she had to do? Call her mother on the cell phone... I mean WTF! I felt like grabbing the phone and heaving it... I also wanted to shoot the guy who thought it was great idea to have a cell tower within range.

"They are playing great"

During this same game, I was in & out here on TSW. When Freddie scored that TD, some schmuck jumped on and proclaimed victory. The immediate and overwhelming flood of posts were unanimous in theme, but diversified in penalty :P : kill yourself now -it's our only hope; sacrifice your first born!;TAKE THAT BACK!!- ilk. We just knew we were jinxed then! McKelvin's fumble was written in the stars..

True story, when Jackson scored against the pats to go up 11 i received a congratulatory text. I texted back as follows:

Text 1: this means we four chances to win the game

Text 2: first chance gone, three to go

Text 3: second chance gone, two to go

Text 4: third chance gone, but we still have a chance!!

Text 5: [edited]

There were about 10 minutes in real time between the 5 texts

When Favre threw that interception at the end of the game, it reminded me of watching the Bills. Only it would be a regular season game not the playoffs. All he had to do was tuck the ball and run and they would have kicked the FG to win, or he could have even took a knee and tried a 51 yard FG but he took a chance and resulted in them losing the game. So close yet so far.

Just like the Bills at times lol

What blows my mind is that people are actually texting at these events... I mean all that other stuff (jinxes, whatnot) aside... What is with people, being at the game not enough?... They need to be on the phone or texting too. :doh:

What is it with our society?

One thing if you are at work... Who wants to work... ;) Or, shooting the Sh*t at home when you have nothing to do. But snyting else is beyond me. We live in a LAMP world. One time I was out hiking and we reached the top of the mountian... Just after us there was a ditzy gril that made it up too... First thing she had to do? Call her mother on the cell phone... I mean WTF! I felt like grabbing the phone and heaving it... I also wanted to shoot the guy who thought it was great idea to have a cell tower within range.

We must be getting old!

No....on second thought, society has gone haywire. America has ADD!

For our anniverary, my wife and I went to a show at the Fox Theatre (little more upscale version of Shea's for you Buffalonians). Teenage girls, probably forced by parents to attend*, are sitting next to us are texting (I presume) or engaging in some electronic I-pod sort of activity. What the hell?!? Can they not enjoy the experience, the show, or at the very least, appreciate the company of their family for 2 hours?

Another time recently, we went to a local steakhouse for dinner. In walks a family of 5. The parents and 3 kids, approximate ages 4, 9, 11. Sitting across from them on the waiting area benches, I saw all but the 4-year-old with their eyes plastered to their little electronic devices, thumbs all-a-flicking. A family out to dinner, and not one of them is interacting with the other. They have to look to the "outside world" to find satisfaction. The 4-year-old had to just sit there and stare into space while the rest of the brood ignored each other. I looked at the little one and said, "what'sa matter - where's your cell phone"?

I said it loud enough for the parents to hear me, at the same time giving them a little dig. I have no doubt they soon reconciled the situation by getting her her very own cell phone for Christmas - ordered on-line through their I-pod!

Lord knows what this culture will look like in 20 years.

* I have a very intelligent 17 year old niece, but she's practically become a recluse, hating to leave her bedroom. The virtual world of the internet has become her reality. Sad. Instead of developing social skills as relationships, they hide behind the supposed safety of their computer screens. She and a lot of her friends can barely pick up the phone and carry on a normal conversation. Fear!

Not all Buffalo sports fans would refrain from these types of statements. As a Sharks fan, I joined the in-game discussion of the SJ-BUF game at Sabrespace, as I knew I would be sharing the board with several posters from TSW. On two seperate occasions during the game, a poster stated "I smell Skark blood!" Immediately following each of these statements, the Sharks put the puck past Miller and into the back of the net.

At another point, the following came from a poster following a great save by miller: "Heatley celebrates; Miller makes the save. Lol" As if on cue, Heatley immediately put the puck in the back of the net.

No disrespect to the particular poster, but it seems that some lessons are hard learned in Buffalo.

At another point, the following came from a poster following a great save by miller: "Heatley celebrates; Miller makes the save. Lol" As if on cue, Heatley immediately put the puck in the back of the net.

What's up? That was me.

Heatley may have gotten the goal, but he's still a dirtbag.