Lets draft this guy

billsfan_34

Not knocking this QB as I havent seen much of him, however, taking a QB in rounds 1 or 2 would be a mistake with Brohm on the roster. Brohm would be a first round QB this year and quite possibly the first QB taken if he were in the draft...he has only one game under his belt and yet he showed promise in it. He has a big arm, is incredibly smart and more importantly football smart, accurate and has 2 years now to asjust to the NFL over a rookie. Not to mention, we got him cheap...

So with all the holes on this team that are HUGE holes like OL, LB, and DL plus the terrible lack of depth on this team it makes no sense to use a high round pick on a QB when we already have a young QB with loads of potential. So, bring in a vet and let him and Brohm compete for the starting gig next year and use our high draft picks on OT, LB, DL, etc. If Brohm hasnt shown enough to be our guy by next year, then we look at QB in the draft if needed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knocking this QB as I havent seen much of him, however, taking a QB in rounds 1 or 2 would be a mistake with Brohm on the roster. Brohm would be a first round QB this year and quite possibly the first QB taken if he were in the draft...he has only one game under his belt and yet he showed promise in it. He has a big arm, is incredibly smart and more importantly football smart, accurate and has 2 years now to asjust to the NFL over a rookier. Not to mention, we got him cheap...

So with all the holes on this team that are HUGE holes like OL, LB, and DL plus the terrible lack of depth on this team it makes no sense to use a high round pick on a QB when we already have a young QB with loads of potential. So, bring in a vet and let him and Brohm compete for the starting gig next year and use our high draft picks on OT, LB, DL, etc. If Brohm hasnt shown enough to be our guy by next year, then we look at QB in the draft if needed.

ditto - Brohm is the answer.

I agree. If the Bills can get him in the 3rd, it would be a steal. However I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd.

I just put the GRAB in for LeFevour in Round 3 if he is there, then read this! The new mock isn't up yet, but I'll let you know.

Astro

www.drafttek.com

Not knocking this QB as I havent seen much of him, however, taking a QB in rounds 1 or 2 would be a mistake with Brohm on the roster. Brohm would be a first round QB this year and quite possibly the first QB taken if he were in the draft...he has only one game under his belt and yet he showed promise in it. He has a big arm, is incredibly smart and more importantly football smart, accurate and has 2 years now to asjust to the NFL over a rookier. Not to mention, we got him cheap...

I like Brohm also, however, I think in today's NFL you need 2 qbs, and Lefevour with his mobility and wildcat potential could be a great 1-2 punch with brohm, eventually one will get traded away. But I'd like to have them both, with a vet to teach them both how to play, they cant learn from trent, or Fitz, we need a legit Qb to teach these young guys

Of course I've been high on this kid for the last 2 yrs, however, I don't think all the hype in the world would legitimize him as a rd 1 pick, theres too much to work on, but the top of the 2nd like #41 maybe, would be a great place to pick our QB of the future.

Also, I noticed while watching that highlight reel that most of those clips wree inside the red zone or at mid field, which may explain why there weren't a lot of deep ball highlights.

I think the most important thing to remember with Lefevour is that he's a RB convert and has only been playing QB since he got to college, so there's a lot of upside when he actually "learns" his craft, but theres also a lot of learning yet to be done, He needs a good mentor, not TE or Fitz but a legit NFL QB to learn from.

Did he really? I'm not doubting you ive just never heard/read that

Did he really? I'm not doubting you ive just never heard/read that

Yeah he was a HS RB that basically started playing QB halfway thru his senior yr, got limited scholarship offers, but took CMU, and you can see what he's done since. Playing in the spread was the best way to utilize his talents, and simultaneously develop him into a QB, however at the next level he will have to learn how to play the position, which i think he can do, but he's not a yr 1 starter, and neither are any of the QB's in this draft for that matter. IMO Lefevour is the best athelete, and has done alot with such raw skills, so in the pros, with the right coaching and mentor he can be really special.

I'm impressed that he threw 66 more TD's than interceptions but worry if he faced the toughest competition in the MAC. I know Big Ben played in the MAC but JP did well in the weak Conference USA

These are the kind of guys that make it in the NFL. They come from smaller conferences therefor don't have the cast of superstar players and coaches around them, so its pure ability. Versus like a Matt Leinart where you have to question was it everything around him. This kid can play at the next level.

Im not sure that is going to be the case with him. He is going to be a developmental type player who won't be contributing right away, especially at the qb position. In the era of quick returns on investment that dynamic will force him to be drafted a little lower. What I like about LeFevour is that he has a lot of moxie. Sometimes his play is not very refined but he finds a way to get it done. From what I have seen when he gets knocked down he doesn't get discouraged. He gets up and keeps playing without fear. He is a tough kid who would be embraced by the fanbase.

My feelings about our draft strategy is that the Bills need to get an OT to bulk up the OL and give the qb, no matter who it is, a fair chance to succeed.

Why not get a QB in and have him sit and get prepared for a year, and improve the line (they drafted 2 guys last year that have done alright and will likely be better), and pick up a free agent, and possibly draft an OT with your 1st next year. I think the sooner you get a QB in the better.

Next season is NOWHERE, an obvious a rebuilding year. And none of the QB's on the roster are going to take the team to the playoffs even with better line play, so improving the line for one of them won't reap much reward.

What happens if Trent Edwards outperforms the other qbs competing for the position? Let the qbs compete and let the winner earn the starting position. There is no doubt that last year Edwards lost his confidence. He was probably relieved after taking such a vicious beating when he lost his starting position. I'm not against giving players an opportunity to compete and earn their position. Do I have my doubts about him? Of course. His mental toughness is the big issue with me. However, I'm not afraid to have him prove me wrong. It would be a pleasant surprise if he could turn himself around from being a beaten player to being a successful and commanding player. The odds are against it, but it doesn't hurt to give him another opportunity. Last year, Cedric Benson, the back for the Bengals, was one of the top backs in the league. Prior to that the former very high first round pick was let go by the Bears and declared an unmitigated bust. The point I'm making is that the unexpected can happen, improbable as it might seem, so it doesn't hurt to give a player a chance to prove himself on the field.

He's not a starter in the NFL , period

"Accuracy: Runs a spread with a lot of four and five-receiver sets. High completion percentage reflects the offense's quick, short passes, but generally puts the ball where he wants to when set in the pocket. Good timing with initial receivers on stop routes. Puts the ball to the outside shoulder on sideline patterns and end zone fades. Accuracy drops when on the run, however; usually throws high or wide, even when square to the line. Must improve his ability to hit receivers on the numbers and leading them on crossing routes.

Arm Strength: Lean quarterback with very average arm strength. Floats deep balls down the sideline and over the middle. Steps into most throws but still does not put a lot of zip on passes over 10-12 yards. Deep outs are wobbly, late and inaccurate.

Setup/Release: Sets his feet after receiving the snap and usually throws from a balanced position. Adjusts well to poor snaps in any direction. Will get happy feet if his offensive line is leaky that day - but is tough enough to stand and deliver in the face of pressure. Resets his feet when possible if on the move within or out of the pocket. Fair quickness on his release. Sometimes tries to unload too soon, getting even less than on the ball than on his normal passes. Leans heavily to his left when throwing instead of staying tall to take advantage of his height.

Reading Defenses: Throws from the shotgun almost exclusively, making reading the defense easier. Must learn how to read from the line and adjust while dropping back. Looks to sideline for pre-snap adjustments. Looks off the safeties, but not often enough. Will make poor decisions if not going to his first target - throwing late over the middle or forcing a ball into tight coverage.

On the Move: Fair mobility within the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield and will move around to find a passing lane. Accuracy is lacking when moving to his left, especially when he cannot reset his feet. Shows the awareness to dump off the ball under pressure. Tough former running back with some elusiveness and vision who will get first downs and more if unchecked. Uses his height to lunge for first downs. Puts ball in outside hand.

Intangibles: Three-year starter who has helped the Chippewas become a bowl-worthy program. Well-respected in the locker room. Academic All-American for Region IV in 2008.

NFL Comparison: Charlie Frye, Oakland Raiders"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559484

I agree and I've seen him play. Nothing to bank on or pass on a real QB like Clausen or Bradford for..

"Accuracy: Runs a spread with a lot of four and five-receiver sets. High completion percentage reflects the offense's quick, short passes, but generally puts the ball where he wants to when set in the pocket. Good timing with initial receivers on stop routes. Puts the ball to the outside shoulder on sideline patterns and end zone fades. Accuracy drops when on the run, however; usually throws high or wide, even when square to the line. Must improve his ability to hit receivers on the numbers and leading them on crossing routes.

Arm Strength: Lean quarterback with very average arm strength. Floats deep balls down the sideline and over the middle. Steps into most throws but still does not put a lot of zip on passes over 10-12 yards. Deep outs are wobbly, late and inaccurate.

Setup/Release: Sets his feet after receiving the snap and usually throws from a balanced position. Adjusts well to poor snaps in any direction. Will get happy feet if his offensive line is leaky that day - but is tough enough to stand and deliver in the face of pressure. Resets his feet when possible if on the move within or out of the pocket. Fair quickness on his release. Sometimes tries to unload too soon, getting even less than on the ball than on his normal passes. Leans heavily to his left when throwing instead of staying tall to take advantage of his height.

Reading Defenses: Throws from the shotgun almost exclusively, making reading the defense easier. Must learn how to read from the line and adjust while dropping back. Looks to sideline for pre-snap adjustments. Looks off the safeties, but not often enough. Will make poor decisions if not going to his first target - throwing late over the middle or forcing a ball into tight coverage.

On the Move: Fair mobility within the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield and will move around to find a passing lane. Accuracy is lacking when moving to his left, especially when he cannot reset his feet. Shows the awareness to dump off the ball under pressure. Tough former running back with some elusiveness and vision who will get first downs and more if unchecked. Uses his height to lunge for first downs. Puts ball in outside hand.

Intangibles: Three-year starter who has helped the Chippewas become a bowl-worthy program. Well-respected in the locker room. Academic All-American for Region IV in 2008.

NFL Comparison: Charlie Frye, Oakland Raiders"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559484

I agree and I've seen him play. Nothing to bank on or pass on a real QB like Clausen or Bradford for..

How many times do we have to go over this?

Defensive tackle, or Left Tackle? Who said anything about quarterback?

How many times do we have to go over this?

Defensive tackle, or Left Tackle? Who said anything about quarterback?

We do need a DT and and LT, no ones is debating that. But you wont win consisently without a franchise QB...look at philly, San diego, NE, Indy and NO as examples of that. The Bills just dont have a Leader on the O side of the ball, and when you get a chance to grab one its a must.

Not knocking this QB as I havent seen much of him, however, taking a QB in rounds 1 or 2 would be a mistake with Brohm on the roster. Brohm would be a first round QB this year and quite possibly the first QB taken if he were in the draft...he has only one game under his belt and yet he showed promise in it. He has a big arm, is incredibly smart and more importantly football smart, accurate and has 2 years now to asjust to the NFL over a rookie. Not to mention, we got him cheap...

Buh? First, how can you possibly think that? Second, see if you can get anyone who's not a Bills fan to back you up on that.