Bills Starting O-Line 2010!

F UNC

LT - Draft best LT avail 2nd rd (obtain LB McClain or QB in 1st rd)

LG - Wood (solid, smart, and tough)

C - Hangartner (serviceable, intelligent, durable, and experienced)

RG - Incognito (solid and tough)

RT - Levitre (solid - played tackle in college, has good agility, and smarts to play RT - not prototypical bc lack of height and arm length, but agility and athleticism would suffice)

Brad Butler as 1st reserve off the bench and the others can fight it out in camp for the other spots.

We are NOT that far away up front. Add a stud QB in the draft to compete with Brohm and Fitzy in camp.

While I see your OL outlook as plausible (Wood recovering from a gruesome injury to anywhere near his old form is possible but I have heard no real medical assessment to make me want to count on him in anyway to excel next year),

However, the likelihood of getting a QB from this draft who will legitimately compete for the starter job in '10 sounds like little more than wishful thinking to me.

For any first round choice it is only slightly more than a 50/50 proposition this player will be #1 at his position on the depth chart at the end of the year. Looking at the specific choices available this year I do not see any of them being available at #9 and being more than a fantasy choice to not need several years to learn the pro game before he becomes a contributor.

Sure Tom Brady shows you can get a stud QB late in a draft but even he was not a first year contributor.

This team seems far more likely to get a QB capable of leading to even an SB win using the methods other teams have successfully used like an FA pick-up or even a trade. A draftee is far more likely to produce like a JP Losman rather than a Dan Marino and that is the simple reality.

Actually, I think there's a good chance that our O-line will like more like this in 2010:

LT M. McNeil (FA stud LT that Nix will covet)

LG Levitre (thought to be our best OL this year, surprisingly durable)

OC Wood (very talented, tough, mean streak, natural OC)

RG Incognito (huge, tough, very mean, squatty, talented)

RT R1 or R2 pick in 2010

OR

LT McNeil

LG Wood

OC Hangartner

RG Incognito

RT R1 or R2 in 2010

Chan will start the group that work best together. I expect him to emphasize improving the O-line for 2010 because he likes to run the ball and will want to give his starting QB a better than fair chane to succeed.

I think we will be solid up the middle since OG K. Simmons and OG/OT B. Butler will also be in the mix. The key to improving the O-line will be improving the LT and RT positions.

RT - Levitre (solid - played tackle in college, has good agility, and smarts to play RT - not prototypical bc lack of height and arm length, but agility and athleticism would suffice)

Others have suggested this and I cannot understand why. Levitre is a perfect fit at LG for the reasons you mentioned. He is absolutely not suited to play RT by any stretch of the imagination.

Brad Butler as 1st reserve off the bench and the others can fight it out in camp for the other spots.

We are NOT that far away up front. Add a stud QB in the draft to compete with Brohm and Fitzy in camp.

Terrible. Hangartner is not starting material (not for a playoff caliber team anyways). Levitre has struggled early on with strength and power and now we are switching him to RT? He would do better at left. The best LT in round two will be an NFL RT. Dont believe the hype, Trent Williams will struggle with pass protection at RT, Davis from Ruters will be better but is not a LT, Bruce Campbell is awkwardly tall and doesnt bend his knees - which is why he sucks at blocking. Okung will be gone before our first pick and Beluga, yet another LT ?, will be long gone before our 2nd round pick.

So our line is

LT:No LT

LG: Wood- who played every game of his rookie season at RG

C: Backup quality center

RG: Mr. personal foul who may not even be retained

RT: A pretty good sophmore LG guard

Hello 2011 top ten pick!

IF Buffalo gets a QB in the first round, I expect Buffalo to move back into the first round to get the LT. Bryan Bulaga for example. Yes it will cost a ton, but maybe Dallas doesn't want their pick again. 2 3rds(2010 & 2011) and a 2011 first. this would allow Buffalo to get a LB in the 2nd.

How nice would this be

1-Jimmy Clausen

1b-Bryan Bulaga

2-Brandon Spikes or Sean Weatherspoon

3 starters with three picks, the rest of the draft would be role players

starting OL

LT-Bulaga

LG-Levitre

C-Hangartner

RG-wood

RT-Butler

for ncstu2003 I don't think that Incognito has been in the NFL long enough nor has he been good enough to demand that he starts. Also, he was a center in college...not to say that Incognito could play there again, but he has played center not just guard, and the idea of moving him to LG would be horrible.

I see it like this:

LT - get someone in the 1st round

LG - Levitre

C - Hangartner

G - Wood (if healthy) if not Butler

T - Butler (if playing guard than Bell)

Demetrius Bell can be the swing tackle for another year before we put him in the starting line up

LT - be a bit bold, move up and draft Okung

LG - Levitre

C - Hangartner (draft a C who will eventually start)

RG - Wood (if ready to go)

RT - Free agent, Brad Butler, Jamon Meredith.

Players that need new addresses: Demetrius Bell, Jonathan Scott, Seth McKinney?, Andre Ramsey, Marvin Philip.

Guard backup: Incognito.

I really think it should be more like:

LT - Draft best LT avail 2nd rd

LG - Levitre

C - Hangartner

RG - Wood (Incognito if wood isn't 100%)

RT - Butler

I think making hangartner a backup isn't a great idea. He started all the games and had two rookies around him. Not to mention, the more we keep switching these guys up the more it is going to set us back. We can plug and play all we want, but our interior line was pretty decent. It was our tackles that sucked. We should leave the interior alone and just fix the tackles and our line will be just fine, maybe even good depending on who our tackles are.

As for incognito, I think it is great to have him on here, especially with the hell we went through with injuries. But I like hangartner, wood, and levitre better. Our oline made WAY too many penalties last year. And incognito, that is his biggest downside making costly penalties. I want us to be tough, but I really want those penalties to go down too. And like I said, I think the interior is fine and should be left that way. Just fix the tackles. But I do think it is great to have incognito for depth reasons, because on this team you really need it with the injuries we get.

This looks like the most realistic scenario, although I hope they draft or sign a FA OT to compete with Butler for RT... That way, if Butler loses the job, they can keep him as a backup T/G... Then draft, as you said, a LT to compete with Bell and hope Wood can come back from that horrific injury. All in all, getting two strong T prospects or free agents and re-signing FA Incognito should be enough, assuming all these guys come back fine from injuries...

Rex Ryan in Peter King's SI column today:

"I've told the coaches and players from the start of this thing, 'If we have a good offensive line, we're going to win.' It's that simple. Everything flows from that.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...p#ixzz0dMgv3IBd

Dear god I hope Buddy Nix gets that.

Couldn't agree more... look at it this way - which team left in the playoffs DOESN'T have an overproductive o-line???

This looks like the most realistic scenario, although I hope they draft or sign a FA OT to compete with Butler for RT... That way, if Butler loses the job, they can keep him as a backup T/G... Then draft, as you said, a LT to compete with Bell and hope Wood can come back from that horrific injury. All in all, getting two strong T prospects or free agents and re-signing FA Incognito should be enough, assuming all these guys come back fine from injuries...

We also need capable backups something we did not have when our starters went down.

Our interior has some good talent and even some depth if we can keep Incognito.

My plan would be:

1 - Draft an OT in the first or second round, someone with real LT skills. Someone that can anchor the line.

2 - Sign a starting caliber veteran Free Agent to help us right now if the rookie needs time to develop. Add verteran leadership and depth.

3 - Toss Kurt Chambers, Jonathan Scott and Andre Ramsey to the OT abyss from which they came.

LT - Draft Pick and Vet Free Agent compete with Bell

LG - Levitre compete with Hangartner

C - Hangartner compete with Wood

RG - Wood compete with Incognito and Butler

RT - Butler compete with Draft pick and Free Agent and Merideth.

May the best 5 win! We must have competion and depth. We need hungry, mean and nasty players up front. Looks like we might have a few in the middle already!

Get er done Buddy.

Our interior has some good talent and even some depth if we can keep Incognito.

My plan would be:

1 - Draft an OT in the first or second round, someone with real LT skills. Someone that can anchor the line.

2 - Sign a starting caliber veteran Free Agent to help us right now if the rookie needs time to develop. Add verteran leadership and depth.

3 - Toss Kurt Chambers, Jonathan Scott and Andre Ramsey to the OT abyss from which they came.

LT - Draft Pick and Vet Free Agent compete with Bell

LG - Levitre compete with Hangartner

C - Hangartner compete with Wood

RG - Wood compete with Incognito and Butler

RT - Butler compete with Draft pick and Free Agent and Merideth.

May the best 5 win! We must have competion and depth. We need hungry, mean and nasty players up front. Looks like we might have a few in the middle already!

Get er done Buddy.

Now this is a real plan. Throw your name into the coaching circle..it makes too much sense

We will be fine up the middle (i.e. LG/OC/RG) no matter what we do as long as we have Wood, Levitre, Hangartner, and Incognito. Butler and Simmons may also play into the mix.

Wood is a stud whether he plays OG or OC. Incognito is also a dominate player (and as mean/nasty as they come) at RG.

Levitre was our best OL last year according to the Bills (although i think Wood will prove to be the better player if he stays healthy) so we're in very good shape with those three guys. Hangartner will be a good backup OC and can also play OG.

Butler and Simmons could add more depth at OG.

Where we need to improve greatly is at LT and RT. Bell is a good backup, but we're better off if he's not starting at LT.

The LT is the most important position to fill. We need either a proven veteran (i.e. M. McNeil) or a R1 stud.

My dream (and realistic) scenario would be to sign McNeil to play LT and then trade down in R1 to obtain more picks (i.e. obtain a later R1 pick, an additional R2 pick, and possibly a R4 pick). Then use the R1 pick to fill the RT starting spot.