Please Buddy RE: Modrak

abqmarko

Buddy first off good luck,and a two quick points

1)With the senior bowl looming I would think you would be getting you head scouts in position, hopefully both Modrak and Guy will be fired. There may be some behind the scenes reasons you would decide to keep them, frankly I'd like to hear them.

Regarding Modrak specifically, if you decide to keep the guy as the head of colledge scouting make the guy show some commitment and move to Western NY. I can't believe that a team that has been in the dumps as long as Buffalo has been (10 years and as long as Modrak has been employed!!) would allow a guy that important to continue to live in Jacksonville FL, have him work for the Jags then. Change things up versus the same status quo.

Sure there may be other team that allow a man in his position to live elsewhere, but those teams were and are winners and not serving the same garbage to the fans for ten years. Make a change!

2) Buddy,on a side note, maybe you had he guts to take a risk on a non-sexy pick in Chan Gailey. If Scott Pioli (Great success in New England) thought he'd be a great head coach, but didn't hire him soley because it wouldnt sell tickets, then applause to you for being a football guy and not a marketer (leave that to Brandon).

I think most scouts do a shitload of traveling anyway so what's the diff?

The difference is he is the HEAD Scout, and has been the HEAD scout for TEN straight losing years. He should be compiling info and working hand in hand with Buddy in Buffalo, not via conference calls. If we had a great, or even competitive team, maybe I'd listen to you. But the ten years of drafting crap we've been through is ridiculous. If the guy wont move then he has no commitment to the team anyway. Plus Western NY isnt exactely thriving financially, I'd rather see the money he makes spent in Western NY and not Jacksonville FL.

Guy was left go yesterday and scouts spend a lot of time traveling. Why does it matter where he lives? I'm sure he spends a lot of time in Buffalo.

Sorry, when I wrote guy I meant fella, person etc. and was referring to Modrak. Not Guy the pro personel ex employee

I responded to moving his butt up to NY in a lower post.

The difference is he is the HEAD Scout, and has been the HEAD scout for TEN straight losing years. He should be compiling info and working hand in hand with Buddy in Buffalo, not via conference calls. If we had a great, or even competitive team, maybe I'd listen to you. But the ten years of drafting crap we've been through is ridiculous. If the guy wont move then he has no commitment to the team anyway. Plus Western NY isnt exactely thriving financially, I'd rather see the money he makes spent in Western NY and not Jacksonville FL.

Maybe you haven't heard about something called the internet? You can do all kinds of cool face-to-face conferencing without having to travel.

Again, what difference does it make if he flies to Buffalo or does is job from Florida? Is it supposed to show some kind of loyalty or commitment? As for his draft record, I think we have learned that a scout is only a scout if his superiors ignore his recommendations. For all we know the Bills could be a team of all-pros by now if it weren't for Jauron and Wilson playing fantasy football with a real NFL team.

PTR

1)With the senior bowl looming I would think you would be getting you head scouts in position, hopefully both Modrak and Guy will be fired. There may be some behind the scenes reasons you would decide to keep them, frankly I'd like to hear them.

Sorry, when I wrote guy I meant fella, person etc. and was referring to Modrak. Not Guy the pro personel ex employee

???

I'd like to see Nix and Modrak (The grumpy boys) stick together at this point. I have to assume that Buddy saw enough over the last year to be able to assess Modrak, although I don't know if he would can him now or after the draft.

I'm sure Modrak has told Nix about all the times he's been ignored by Wilson/etc. Nix probably has a good handle on what Modrak brings to the table.

PTR

What we don't know is who has been making the picks over the last 10 years? Donahoe was in charge fo the draft during his regime. Afetr that there was this "Inner Circle" consensus for making decisons. So who made ther calls? Levy? Brandon? Ralph? Jauron? all of the above? some of the above? Modrak alegedly did not get invited into the "Inner Circle" until last year. It just amazes me at how poorly this FO operates.

It is hard to blame Modrak when he is clearly not the GM. Reports have already leaked out that he did not like the Maybin pick and was big on Cushing.

Buddy knows if Modrak is competent or not. If he keeps him around then there is your answer.

The more important thing is that Buddy will be responsible and accountable for ALL of the picks here on in. Keep Ralph and Brandon out of it. Buddy makes the picks. He should only be listening to Modrak and his people for their analysis, and of course Gailey and his staff for their needs.

Modraks reputation is still very good but his track record has been tainted by Donahoe's flamboyance and the past crimes of the "Inner Circle".

I'm sure Modrak has told Nix about all the times he's been ignored by Wilson/etc. Nix probably has a good handle on what Modrak brings to the table.

PTR

Good point. The Bills have drafted some good players. Last year, Woods Levitre and Byrd look like good picks. The problem seems to be in the first pick we have. And when we pick a Maybin or McKelvin or Whitner, it may be a failing at the top to pull the trigger on the right guy, not the failure of the scouts. With Jauron gone, and Nix and Gailey in charge, perhaps the decision making at the top, i.e, sifting through the raw talent evaluations and making good decisions on who to take, will improve. Stated differently, I don't think we really know if Modrak sucks or his rep has been tarnished by the ultimate decision makers.

Maybe you haven't heard about something called the internet? You can do all kinds of cool face-to-face conferencing without having to travel.

Again, what difference does it make if he flies to Buffalo or does is job from Florida? Is it supposed to show some kind of loyalty or commitment? As for his draft record, I think we have learned that a scout is only a scout if his superiors ignore his recommendations. For all we know the Bills could be a team of all-pros by now if it weren't for Jauron and Wilson playing fantasy football with a real NFL team.

PTR

The facts are that the Bills have been losers the last 10 years-the two consistent employees are Modrak and Guy-half of the equation is already gone in GUY the other half is Modrak. I guess you must have some insde information that Modraks has been doing a great job and that he recommended all the guys we missed on picking and didnt have anything to do with the bad picks. Lets see if Buddy fires Modrak tomorrow and see what you say. And if you have anything that supports your statement that his "superiors ignored his recommendations" lets hear it.

The facts are that the Bills have been losers the last 10 years-the two consistent employees are Modrak and Guy-half of the equation is already gone in GUY the other half is Modrak. I guess you must have some insde information that Modraks has been doing a great job and that he recommended all the guys we missed on picking and didnt have anything to do with the bad picks. Lets see if Buddy fires Modrak tomorrow and see what you say. And if you have anything that supports your statement that his "superiors ignored his recommendations" lets hear it.

Nix will not fire Modrak. Modrak is the person who brought Nix back to Buffalo last year.

IMHO if Modrak has been bypassed on his preffered pick last year in favor or Maybin then let him stay, if he wanted the Maybin pick throw him out like yesterday. You don't draft a project with your 10th pick.

And of course you'll never know the answer to that...

QUOTE (abqmarko @ Jan 21 2010, 09:44 AM)

QUOTE (abqmarko @ Jan 21 2010, 10:15 AM)

???

nice. what rhymes with dye?

How can you fire Modrak now? You have the draft in April. Most of his work should have been done by now isolating the best prospects. You have the combine in a few weeks, the senior bowl etc. If a change is to be made it will have to be done after the draft. You can't hire a guy to take over as chief scout at the 11th hour. Let's see what happens after the draft.

PTR

+1