What did everyone take out of the New Conference

billsfreak

A few things that I noticed that were kinda strange from the news conference the other day announcing the hiring of Chan Gailey.

1. I noticed right away that Nix, as soon as he started speaking was in a defensive mode. He was defending himself and the organization before anyone even asked him any questions.

2. Where were Ralphie Boy and Brandon. My guess is they were afraid of the criticism of their inability to run an organization successfully, and their super ability to run an organization into being the joke of the league, that they were afraid to show up.

3. 15 phone calls a day wanting an interview? Please. And none of those rumors of people declining interview offerings were true. Does he really think Bills fans are as dumb as we look sometimes following this team?

4. Has Nix looked at the lack of success of this organization over the past decade? How can he call out any other NFL team (Raiders) in a negative way when he should know that it is going to be broadcast on ESPN and NFL Network at a minimum?

5. As I was watching it,, it appeared to me that they could broadcast it at 11:30 on NBC on saturday nights withouth editing, it might be the funniest skit on Saturday Night Live.

6. On a lighter note, is that the most rednecks ever assembled at One Bills Drive? Chan Gailey might be an offspring of Ralphie, the ears are quite similar.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All i know is that i was watching some of the pc highlights on NFL Network and my 5 year old daughter pipes up..."daddy, than man sounds funny!". Then Chan spoke and she said the same thing. I thought that was pretty humorous.

But i'm with some others. Maybe these Southerners really know their football and can make this work in WNY. They don't need Harvard and Yale educations to be good.

1. Like the debate team, you don't always get to decide which side you are defending.

2. It was probably nap time.

3. Yes, they do. The Bills continue to sell out even though we haven't been to the playoffs in 10 years. Hell SanDiego can't sell out and they've been to the playoffs every year for the last 10 years.

4. See #1

5. See #3

6. No. Go back to Hank and Ralph.

All i know is that i was watching some of the pc highlights on NFL Network and my 5 year old daughter pipes up..."daddy, than man sounds funny!". Then Chan spoke and she said the same thing. I thought that was pretty humorous.

But i'm with some others. Maybe these Southerners really know their football and can make this work in WNY. They don't need Harvard and Yale educations to be good.

When I moved down South, one of the first things I realized is, while the southern accent tends to be associated with a low IQ (at least it was in my mind), that is just a stereotype. Some of the sharpest and smartest people I know down here have heavy accents. You can't necessarily equate the accent with IQ.

Thank you. I was about to say the same thing.

When I moved down South, one of the first things I realized is, while the southern accent tends to be associated with a low IQ (at least it was in my mind), that is just a stereotype. Some of the sharpest and smartest people I know down here have heavy accents. You can't necessarily equate the accent with IQ.

I sure hate to get in the way of the mindless Ralph- and Russ-bashing, but has it occurred to anyone that they may not have been at the PC because they wanted to send a clear message that Nix, the "football guy" is the man in charge for these decisions?

You know, like how most of the Ralph- and Russ-bashers have been demanding?

Just a thought.

What did I take out of the press conference? I'm all about the Nix/Gailey era. My brother claims that Russ Brandon is still the Wizard pulling strings from behind the curtain and that Nix is just a figurehead with no real power, kind of like the queen in England. Yet naively, I'm buying into it all once again and yes, I was very impressed with both of them. Man, Jerry Sullivan is coming off like a whiny little b**** these days, huh?

I sure hate to get in the way of the mindless Ralph- and Russ-bashing, but has it occurred to anyone that they may not have been at the PC because they wanted to send a clear message that Nix, the "football guy" is the man in charge for these decisions?

Just a thought.

If they were there it might have sent the message that "We support this move and agree with it and are really trying to make this team a winner." Instead the message was "We know that nobody is going to like this signing, and we are scared of the criticism so we are going hide and avoid it."

The question is how smart do they think you are with your accent? :devil:

Just a thought.

Please stop making sense. Its so much more fun to bash an old man.

What did I take out of the press conference? I'm all about the Nix/Gailey era. My brother claims that Russ Brandon is still the Wizard pulling strings from behind the curtain and that Nix is just a figurehead with no real power, kind of like the queen in England. Yet naively, I'm buying into it all once again and yes, I was very impressed with both of them. Man, Jerry Sullivan is coming off like a whiny little b**** these days, huh?

I don't think Russ has alot of football decision power. I think he's Ralph's puppet and just passes along whatever Ralph tells him. Buddy seems like too much of a strong personality to just be a puppet. Clearly he's not the main decision maker but I think Russ and Ralph listen to him. I had no problem with Gailey's comments, I liked what I heard. Buddy coming off as defensive though, really bothered me.

If they were there it might have sent the message that "We support this move and agree with it and are really trying to make this team a winner." Instead the message was "We know that nobody is going to like this signing, and we are scared of the criticism so we are going hide and avoid it."

Such is the message interpreted by those whose minds were already made up....

I fail to see how anything Ralph or Russ can say or do in the short term will satisfy their critics.

Such is the message interpreted by those whose minds were already made up....

I fail to see how anything Ralph or Russ can say or do in the short term will satisfy their critics.

Buddy and Chan addressed this question specifically. They both said the only way to prove anything is to win. No statement, no assurances, nothing will silence the critics other than winning.

Buddy and Chan addressed this question specifically. They both said the only way to prove anything is to win. No statement, no assurances, nothing will silence the critics other than winning.

I agree there, Mike. Of course, that also means that one should not view everything said (or not said) or done (or not done) as mere confirmation of their pre-existing positions. We need to see what the Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan accomplish in this coming season. Skepticism is sensible; mindless negativity is pathological.

A few things that I noticed that were kinda strange from the news conference the other day announcing the hiring of Chan Gailey.

1. I noticed right away that Nix, as soon as he started speaking was in a defensive mode. He was defending himself and the organization before anyone even asked him any questions.

2. Where were Ralphie Boy and Brandon. My guess is they were afraid of the criticism of their inability to run an organization successfully, and their super ability to run an organization into being the joke of the league, that they were afraid to show up.

3. 15 phone calls a day wanting an interview? Please. And none of those rumors of people declining interview offerings were true. Does he really think Bills fans are as dumb as we look sometimes following this team?

4. Has Nix looked at the lack of success of this organization over the past decade? How can he call out any other NFL team (Raiders) in a negative way when he should know that it is going to be broadcast on ESPN and NFL Network at a minimum?

5. As I was watching it,, it appeared to me that they could broadcast it at 11:30 on NBC on saturday nights withouth editing, it might be the funniest skit on Saturday Night Live.

6. On a lighter note, is that the most rednecks ever assembled at One Bills Drive? Chan Gailey might be an offspring of Ralphie, the ears are quite similar.

1. Why wouldnt he defend the organization that he works for? Especially when he has idiot reporters like Jerry Sullivan who have no idea how to run a football team are sitting there in the front row and its expected you will get dumb comments from idiots.

2. Nix is running the operation now and has full control. I for one am glad we didnt have Ralph there, bumbling about how hes still alive, and still relevant in the NFL.

3. Nix, Ralph both came out when Nix was hired and said there would be lots of speculation and no one outside the organization will know what is going on. Are you pissed just like Jerry Sullivan was that he was outsmarted by a 70 year old man that everyone poked at? Its an NFL job. How many people you think apply for cashier at Burger King? And this is an NFL Head Coaching position. Im sure Nix didnt overestimate the amount of calls they received. You most likely had everyone in their mother applying for the position thinking they may have the best shot.

4. Nix is new to his position for an NFL team that has not been as bad as the Raiders in the last 5-10 years. The Raiders are and have been more of a joke then the Bills have been in that time. The Bills have at least flirted with playoffs and winning records during Jaurons tenure. He is making a statement that we are not as bad as some "fans" like you make us out to be. Which is fact.

5 & 6. I think only people from Buffalo, or those that are familiar with the Bills, Nix, Gailey would even understand it. If you refer to their accents you are stereotypical and most likely uninteligent yourself for thinking so. I directly with a company based out of the south and the people I associate with are extremely sharp and would be able to make you look foolish any day of the week. It sounds like your only knowledge of the south is from TV shows and movies (Simpsons Cletus character, Southern Comfort, Deliverance, Waterboy).