The wrong Guy has been let go......

wil1226

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now, some folks will say, he's just doing his job, by pointing out that is an unusual time to release an important announcement (like PFT is doing). he initially released the anti-bills version......then later shortened it to what i call the pro-bill version. it just makes me wonder if he is pro, anti or neutral towards the bills.

ditto...that was a deliberate dig, not sure about the motivation behind it.

If you align the stars to gauge some of the perplexing personnel moves in the last couple of years, they lead to an office door that doesn't have "Guy" on the nameplate.

This.

As for the timing of the release, it should be blatantly obvious by now that just like the New Year's Eve-afternoon PC to introduce Nix and the scant advance notice given when Fewell was named the interim HC (Jauron "officially" fired at 3pm, Fewell promotion not announced until almost 7pm for an 8:30pm PC when several of the beat guys have an hour-plus commute to the stadium), someone in the PR dept. is deliberately trying to manipulate coverage.

Unless they're either being told to do so by someone further up the chain of command, or merely incompetent.

If I had written that blog post re:the midnight massacre, I wouldn't have been nearly as polite.

This.

As for the timing of the release, it should be blatantly obvious by now that just like the New Year's Eve-afternoon PC to introduce Nix and the scant advance notice given when Fewell was named the interim HC (Jauron "officially" fired at 3pm, Fewell promotion not announced until almost 7pm for an 8:30pm PC when several of the beat guys have an hour-plus commute to the stadium), someone in the PR dept. is deliberately trying to manipulate coverage.

Unless they're either being told to do so by someone further up the chain of command, or merely incompetent.

If I had written that blog post re:the midnight massacre, I wouldn't have been nearly as polite.

"someone in the PR dept. is deliberately trying to manipulate coverage."...

(my guess Scott Berchtold, with buddy's approval)....i agree with you, something is up, there is no doubt.....but to me, it appears to be directed at the bills preventing the "local" media from scooping or getting the jump on the national media. eventually the news is what it is.....it will get sliced and diced no matter what time it comes out....just like this John Guy story. the bills do seem to have their favorites (Murphy & Gaughn locally, Berman & Carucci nationally to name a few). probably those who have been kinder and gentler.

This.

Completely incompetent PR staff and a poor attempt at manipulating coverage. You are right on both counts. Could they have become concerned about information getting out prematurely?

Difficult to evaluate Guy coming out of that situation. Never had much pull in the organization. We will probably find out a lot more when he makes his next stop like some other football people that have departed. Either way, as many have pointed out, it was a necessary move and was a lock to happen as soon as Buddy was hired.

one credit to guy among many blunders, bryan scott

Guy really gained attention for all the horrible Levy signings. They added about a dozen total failures in free agency those first two seasons under Levy. Horrendous. $12M per season for Dockery/Walker? Unreal.

John "JAG" Guy.

Completely incompetent PR staff and a poor attempt at manipulating coverage. You are right on both counts. Could they have become concerned about information getting out prematurely?

Difficult to evaluate Guy coming out of that situation. Never had much pull in the organization. We will probably find out a lot more when he makes his next stop like some other football people that have departed. Either way, as many have pointed out, it was a necessary move and was a lock to happen as soon as Buddy was hired.

I agree. Moreover, I don't think the pro personnel moves were bad in the last couple of years: Hangartner, TO (although who knows who was behind that), Stroud, Drayton Florence, Kawika Mitchell, and Fitzpatrick (a classic backup QB). No stars, but no busts either. Plus some of the other guys we brought in who walked away weren't bad either.

Guy really gained attention for all the horrible Levy signings. They added about a dozen total failures in free agency those first two seasons under Levy. Horrendous. $12M per season for Dockery/Walker? Unreal.

John "JAG" Guy.

Guy didn't do contracts. Don't blame him for that.

;) IT MEANS NOTHING IF LITTMAN AND OVERDORF DOESNT FOLLOW HIS BEHIND OUT THE DOOR .........................POLIAN HAVE BEEN FIGHTING WITH LITTMAN ABOUT PAYING FOR PLAYER PERSONEL FOR-EVER. GUY NEVER HAD A CHANCE BECAUSE HE DIDNT DOLE OUT THE CONTRACTS LITTMAN & OVERDORF DID THAT AND UNTIL WE GET RID OF THEM WHOMEVER TAKE GUY PLACE WILL HAVE THE SAME :wallbash: PROBLEM......... WHAT SENSE WOULD IT BE TO TRY TO BRING SOMEONE IN IF THEY WILL NOT PAY FOR THEM

STOP SHOUTING NUMNUT!!!!

we all love Tim Graham and appreciate his contributions to this forum..

i'm confusing the point i was trying to make......let me take another stab at it....... this is much less about the exact time line and more about the shot he took at the bills for releasing the info so late, after the local late night TV news and buffalo news deadlines to include in early editions of their newspaper.

(PRO/Nuetral -bills) he could have simply said "Bills announced late wednesday night" (like most sources did).

(ANTI-bills) instead he comes out swinging by taking a shot at the bills by saying "The Buffalo Bills waited until the local news was off the air and the early editions of Thursday's newspaper had been put to bed before sending out a two-sentence press release at 11:37pm to announce they have fired vice president of pro personnel John Guy".

now, some folks will say, he's just doing his job, by pointing out that is an unusual time to release an important announcement (like PFT is doing). he initially released the anti-bills version......then later shortened it to what i call the pro-bill version. it just makes me wonder if he is pro, anti or nuetral towards the bills.

How does he know they waited until the news was off the air? What if they were in meetings that ran longer than anticipated? Maybe they released it after it happened? People are starting to infer way too much into things...

How does he know they waited until the news was off the air? What if they were in meetings that ran longer than anticipated? Maybe they released it after it happened? People are starting to infer way too much into things...

Actually I think that is true of how people are looking at Tim's writing, both at ESPN and here. Every word is being disected and analyzed to death. Is he pro Bills or anti Bills? Is he intentionally stirring the pot with his now infamous Marty-blog? The backlash on Tim the last few days has been borderline ridiculous by some (not all). Me, I think he's a quality writer with a national audience who just so happens to pop in over here with good to great information from time to time. And oh yeah, he moved his family back to Buffalo as well. From 30,000 feet that seems pretty great to me and I choose not to micro-analyze his intent with each sentence he writes. JMO.

Because the local news goes off the air at 11:30, which he knows because he LIVES HERE. The release was sent out at 11:37 and posted on the media website at 11:39, and no story was filed to the public portion of bb.com until after midnight. The only variable was, someone obviously tipped Murph.

I also notice that nobody's jumping all over Channel 2 or 7 for posting essentially the same thing:

"BUFFALO, NY - The Buffalo Bills waited until after the 11pm local news to issue a short press release that they have fired Vice-President of Pro Personnel John Guy."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?...779&catid=4

"ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW) -- The Buffalo Bills fired Vice President of Pro Personnel John Guy late Wednesday night.

In a release sent after 11:30 p.m., the Bills said that Guy, who was in the final year of his contract, had been relieved of his duties as Pro Personnel VP."

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/82249092.html

Gee, why is that? At this point, I wouldn't blame him if he ever DID decide to walk away from here, because I'm starting to think about it myself.

Gee, why is that? At this point, I wouldn't blame him if he ever DID decide to walk away from here, because I'm starting to think about it myself.

Why because people don't take as scripture someone trying to connect dots all over the place that aren't even really all that close together? I mean please...it would be like trying to infer that someone who came home an hour late from work was responsible for a robbery that took place near where he was at that time and then calling the police to let them know your theory. Hey...anything is possible, but there are about 100 more likely scenarios as to why they are late.

The problem isn't Tim Graham, John Wawrow, Jerry Sullivan, Allen Wilson, Vic Carrucci or WGR. The problem is One Bills Drive and it's owner. Rather than get competent people they hire boobs. The Bills increasingly bizarre owner won't reach past his "comfort" zone so rather than get good people he gets people that don't scare him.

If you'll recall, when they hired Nix, Ralph made a comment about a "list of names" that was presented to him. He stated something like "I didn't recognize them or know who they were and neither did Russ". If that single statement didn't give you a shiver of fear then you haven't been paying attention.

Guy was the right guy to see his way out. It just so happens that there are a few guys that need to see their way in (a coaching and training staff full of guys would be a start) and a few more guys that might see pink slips in their mailboxes soon.

A number of the coaches have already got offers from other teams at same level as they were coaching for Bills - what does that tell you about their ability? It means other teams thought they were best candidates available.

Why because people don't take as scripture someone trying to connect dots all over the place that aren't even really all that close together? I mean please...it would be like trying to infer that someone who came home an hour late from work was responsible for a robbery that took place near where he was at that time and then calling the police to let them know your theory. Hey...anything is possible, but there are about 100 more likely scenarios as to why they are late.

FWIW, that's MY conspiracy theory, not TG's. He called the timing of the release "peculiar" when he spoke to Brad Riter tonight, but did NOT ascribe any ulterior motive to it:

http://networkedblogs.com/p25144388

Unlike our friend Sal Maiorana: "Pretty funny that the Bills' two-sentence release on Guy's firing was issued at 11:37 p.m. Like they were going to sneak it by all of us."

http://twitter.com/salmaiorana/statuses/8026832086