Why Not Vick?

PaattMaann

The people you know that hunt: do they hang,drown or electricute the animals they hunt? Do they tape the muzzle of the animal they hunt and stick it in a pit so another animal can train on it? What the hell are you talking about would i rather fight a big guy or be castrated? bad analogy! Yeah, i think he paid his debt to society but don't think he should've been allowed back in the NFL, just like he couldn't be a cop, firefighter or in the military! And as far as being a changed man, I DON'T BUY IT!! Something is wrong with you if you could watch an animal suffer and not be affected! ESPECIALLY A HUMAN BEING(i agree with you on that).

The people I know that hunt they just simply blown the animals brains out...that's real humane

You are stuck on the "how" as opposed to the "what". They are still killing.

Spaying and neutering is just castration..sorry I didn't spell it out for you.

As far as being a changed man you may be right, but I hope he is smarter from his experience. Many people do learn from their mistakes. I know I have and you probably have too. I always give the people the benefit of the doubt.

I look at sports figures as being high paid entertainers and not in the same category as police, firefighters, and the military. Police, Firemen and military have a much more important position in society.

This is not to defend what Vick did was okay because it wasn't and I surely do not think he is the sharpest knife in the drawer. But its about forgiveness after he has paid his debt.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, let me just say that I believe in the legal system. I believe that if you do a crime, you have a punishment, and once that has been fulfilled, you deserve to be let back into society.

However, there is nothing saying that you become a morlally re-habilitated person. In fact, I'm sure most people don't commit the crime again soley for the reason of not going back to jail. It doesn't mean that they wouldn't do it again if they couldn't get caught. And most people, do end up back in jail.

Also, addressing the mentality that other NFL players have done worse things and gotten away with it or there is more dog-fighting occuring in the world than we could like to admit, does that make it right? No, just cause someone bucks the trend doesn't make it okay. If I beat my wife 5 times this week and you only do it 3 times, are you a better person than me? No, we are both @ssholes.

With that being said, I don't care if Vick was the potential greatly greatest QB on earth and guaranteed us a Superbowl, I don't want that absolute piece of **** on our team. The man drowned dogs. He shot them. He electrified them. He set them up to kill each other. That is a sick, SICK human being. That is not okay. And we aren't talking once. We are talking a graveyard full of dogs. You don't just rehab that out of your mind. And all the people in the world who also do it, they are evil human beings also.

So no, I don't want Vick. I don't want the murdering Ray Lewis. I don't want the father of 11 Travis Henry. Just cause they did their time or beat the system, doesn't mean they are good people or I have to like them.

You put Vick on this team. I'm done. I mean it, DONE. I can take anything else. I could even puke my way through having Tom Brady on the team. And believe me, that would be painful. But you put someone like Vick on this team, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the whole franchise.

Good Post. Seems as if many people on this board might want to take some time to read the Vick court transcripts. If it doesn't turn your stomach and totally disgust you, I'd be very surprised.

Also, find some replays of a show called Dog Town...a humane, no kill shelter in Utah that accepted about 18 of the worst "Vick" dogs and showed the challenges of trying to bring these trained killers back to being pets. Very sad.

This is indeed a cultural issue - but my loyalty to the Bills has always been based on Marv's philosophy of hiring players of character. I'd rather go 2-14 with a team of good, honest, law-abiding men than win a SB with a bunch of wife beating, child beating, baby making, dog killing cons. Just my opinion.

Dog fighting is what Mike Vick grew up around. alot of inner city people engage in dog fighting. it's not as taboo to them as most of society makes it out to be. Pedro Martinez was cockfighting in the dominican and no one hates him because it is acceptable in the dominican culture. Well Dog fighting is acceptable in the inner city culture of America so GET OVER IT. He got caught for doing something he grew up doing and was punished for it. He is flat broke, lost years of his career, and has been burned at the stake by the media and American public. Give the guy a break. I forgot everyone on this board is a saint.

What about cheating on your wife? Who do you consider more of a scumbag: someone who has a wife and kids and is out cheating on his wife every weekend (which im sure most athletes are doing), or someone who killed some dogs? I'd go with the cheater.

what about driving drunk (which could potentially kill someone anytime you do it)? Bruce Smith has been arrested for 2 DUIs yet we still love him to death and support him.

If Vick gives us a better chance to win i'm all for it.

I don't think Bruce went out with the intention of driving drunk. Vick wasn't just going to dog fights, he was running a criminal organization around dogfighting and running a front company to hide it. If he thought dog fighting was OK, and not a big deal he wouldn't have gone through the trouble of running the front company, and he would have come clean when first caught, to his employers, I believe. I doubt anyone is a saint, but most reasonable people wouldn't got to that extreme in breaking the law.

I don't think cheating is a good thing, or excusable, but cheating isn't putting money into criminals pockets, or funding other criminal that were running the competing kennels with money for bets. The cheaters probably didn't pay other criminals to help him commit those crimes. Now a long time cheater is a different story, but Vick did this for a very long time, and probably still would be if not caught. Its not like this was his only indiscretion either, remember the whole ron mexico thing, which pretty much trumps the cheaters crime if he really did spread a VD without notifying his partner.

I know people get mad when others say this, but... If Vick ends up on the Bills I am done and will burn all my Bills stuff.

Im not full of crap either, verify it however you want. My last TBD post will be a link to a youtube video of me burning my Bills stuff while calling to cancel my season tickets.

I know people get mad when others say this, but... If Vick ends up on the Bills I am done and will burn all my Bills stuff.

Im not full of crap either, verify it however you want. My last TBD post will be a link to a youtube video of me burning my Bills stuff while calling to cancel my season tickets.

I'll be right there with you, except for the posting on youtube part.

I imagine there is a decent chance Vick comes here. Just speculation though. I feel like the QB position is going to be set far before the draft.

The question is, if we add a credible starting QB (which I believe Gailey will have to do, bc there is no way he can go into the season with Edwards/Fitz/Brohm as his QBs), who will it be and who is the odd man out?

I don't think McNabb will be an option bc his pricetag will be high. And Andy Reid has always liked him, so it isn't as though they are going to just give him away. They'll have to be given a good offer.

It will probably be between Orton and Vick ( I don't see a way the Bills can get Jason Campbell without the entire city of Buffalo attempting to burn down Ralph Wilson Stadium).

If we add an extra QB, I have to imagine Trent or Fitz are out of a job. Fitz is a coaches dream bc of how bright he is, though his physical attributes are few and far between. Brohm is a project, I doubt he'll be on the block. Trent is probably the guy on the outs in this scenario.

Your probably right about the one on the outs. Considering he has had the most chances, if they don't think he can start, he is probably the one that will be sent packing.

Brohm has potential, and I think Fitz has no problem being a backup at this point in his career, and has showed enough in bad conditions to stick around I think. I am more of a fan of Trent than Fitz, but think Fitz makes the better backup for this team, as Trent hasn't shown he can be the guy, and hasn't played well in bad weather yet.

I doubt they bring in Vick honestly. I dont think Buffalo would be Vicks first choice, and doubt a team run by a public relations guru makes this move. As far as who they do bring in, I am thinking someone like Troy Smith from Ravens if they want someone for furture, or Kerry Collins if they are going to try and win now.

Your probably right about the one on the outs. Considering he has had the most chances, if they don't think he can start, he is probably the one that will be sent packing.

Brohm has potential, and I think Fitz has no problem being a backup at this point in his career, and has showed enough in bad conditions to stick around I think. I am more of a fan of Trent than Fitz, but think Fitz makes the better backup for this team, as Trent hasn't shown he can be the guy, and hasn't played well in bad weather yet.

I doubt they bring in Vick honestly. I dont think Buffalo would be Vicks first choice, and doubt a team run by a public relations guru makes this move. As far as who they do bring in, I am thinking someone like Troy Smith from Ravens if they want someone for furture, or Kerry Collins if they are going to try and win now.

I DONT WANT POTENTIAL. I want a guy who can shown he can play. Not one who i go into next season guessing. Im not saying it was to be Vick, but this Brohm potential thing is getting out of hand. If he had "potential" he would not have been on a practice squad.

Good Post. Seems as if many people on this board might want to take some time to read the Vick court transcripts. If it doesn't turn your stomach and totally disgust you, I'd be very surprised.

Also, find some replays of a show called Dog Town...a humane, no kill shelter in Utah that accepted about 18 of the worst "Vick" dogs and showed the challenges of trying to bring these trained killers back to being pets. Very sad.

This is indeed a cultural issue - but my loyalty to the Bills has always been based on Marv's philosophy of hiring players of character. I'd rather go 2-14 with a team of good, honest, law-abiding men than win a SB with a bunch of wife beating, child beating, baby making, dog killing cons. Just my opinion.

I totally agree Aussie. Winning isn't everything. Part of Being a Bills fan is that the team reflects the city, It should be Blue-collar, hard working, ass kicking, lunchpail kind of team. The fans should be PROUD of the players on the team, not embarassed by the them.

+2

I DONT WANT POTENTIAL. I want a guy who can shown he can play. Not one who i go into next season guessing. Im not saying it was to be Vick, but this Brohm potential thing is getting out of hand. If he had "potential" he would not have been on a practice squad.

Having potential but not being ready to play is kind of what practice squad was made for. Yes he probably will never be nothing more than a descent backup, but he may develop into a very good player 2 or 3 years from now. Doesn't mean we don't bring in someone better to play while waiting, but doesn't mean we should give up on him yet either.

I agree that we need to do something. From everything that has been said about the subject, it sounds like Nix agrees that QB play needs to be improved significantly in order for this team to take the next step.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that he is ready to start yet, or should be starting, the discussion was who do they keep when they bring in someone else to start. I think you take the guy with potential that isn't ready yet, or hasn't had the opportunity yet, over they guy that has already had the chance, but failed for the 3rd qb spot myself. Between the 3 you decide who is the better number 2 between Fitz and Trent and cut the other and keep Brohm as the number 3, because he represents the most upside of the 3. Its is possible that they feel Fitz is best number 2 and Trent has more upside than Brohm of course, but think Brohm ends up winning the number 3 spot unless they draft a mid round QB and pick up a veteran as well.

I disagree with anyone who shares this philosophy. I welcome anyone that can bring a superbowl to this city.

I dont care what Vick did to those dogs.

I disagree with anyone who shares this philosophy. I welcome anyone that can bring a superbowl to this city.

I dont care what Vick did to those dogs.

If Vick became the QB here and we went 11-5 next year and went to the playoffs, do you think this conversation would be happening, at all....

I dont understand all of the people who think the bills WONT do this move because they are run (kind of) by a marketing "guru"....philadelphia proved that a team can sign vick and not lose its loyal fan base/endorsements/season ticket sales...

In fact, I think its the other way around...if this orgnaization dosent take a shot at either a name, a proven talent or a hot QB season tickets will plummet....they signed a retread old coach instead of building excitement with a name, you know Brandon is aware of this and will be looking to make some type of move that puts butts in the seats....

Because I, like some of you are posting about if we DO sign Vick you wont support the team, will not be purchasing season tickets next season unless we DO sign vick-or a comparable QB along with some other talent to this team....So for Brandon, he knows he needs to do something to sell tickets, and hiring Chan Gailey was NOT the move to sell tickets

im not saying its ok to torture and kill animals, im saying of all crimes committed by NFL athletes, this is dam near petty....and he has served his federal mandated punishment...sorry if you guys all feel you are above the constitution, the courts, the law and the government, but they say his debt to society is paid and i more than agree

again though, all of this useless babble detracts from the OP about why it is or isnt a good idea to bring in Vick to play QB for the bills, not whether killing animals is ok, its just that most posters on here are too blinded by the killing of dogs to actual post useful responses

i know that when we trade for vick or sign him if hes cut, me and my kitten will be meeting him at the airport in our matching Vick buffalo number 7's

Petty? holy god you are a !@#$ing retard. He got off on torturing animals. He heard the screams of terror and pain, got a boner, and finished the job. Donte Stallworth hit a guy while drunk. It was tragic, but there was no vicious intent. Donte Stallworth was in an accident brought about by his own stupidity. Vick created a complex organization designed to allow him to torture, maim and kill an animal that has the intelligence of a two year old child.

On top of that Vick is not even a particularly good QB. One real winning season and a QB rating of 75. Yeah that's awesome. Stop cumming all over your copy of Madden and use your head, idiot.

Word. people need to keep some perspective. this is all just a game. you want a team that represents what Buffalo is all about; honest hardworking dudes who give back. you have to question the willingness to check your soul at the door in exchange for winning a couple ball games.

Besides, it's not like the eagles blew up with that maniac on the team.

Anyone supportive of Vick, I do not have a problem with at all. They are entitled to that viewpoint, and it is their freedom.

However, I would be done with the Bills and likely the NFL

Animal cruelty is a really important issue for me. I have spent time volunteering at Animal Shelters, I donate money to animal cruelty organizations regularly. Yes, I do understand there may be more important causes in human matters, but this is what I choose to support. What Vick has done is ghastly and in my eyes he is a cockroach. I dont care if it happens in his community. They are all scum too. I work down the road from Camden, NJ and crack and murders are part of their culture there it doesnt make it right if someone moves to Oswego and starts shooting people and selling crack.

Again, I can respect the viewpoint of those who would choose to look past Vick's past. It is their right, as it is my right to hold this against him forever. I dont think either side is "incorrect", which is why this debate rages on on message boards all over the country. He has been released from prison and he has been allowed to make a living. That doesnt mean I have to pay money and cheer when he does well and makes more millions.

If Vick became the QB here and we went 11-5 next year and went to the playoffs, do you think this conversation would be happening, at all....

Allot of the people on the anti Vick side wouldn't be on the board to have the discussion, so no doubt would many of us on the board anymore. If they went 11-5 with him, they would do it without my support, and I would never watch one of the games, and if they made it to the Superbowl with Vick at QB, I wouldn't watch that either.

I highly doubt that they win more than 5 games if they bring Vick on board now, as allot of teams relearned how to defend a running QB due to the Wildcats popularity, so do not think he will be as effective as he used to be. Plus he never was much of a pure QB, and cant see the long layoff improving that part of his game. Its possible he gained humility and is more willing to put the time in the tape room now, but I doubt it.

I dont understand all of the people who think the bills WONT do this move because they are run (kind of) by a marketing "guru"....philadelphia proved that a team can sign vick and not lose its loyal fan base/endorsements/season ticket sales...

In fact, I think its the other way around...if this orgnaization dosent take a shot at either a name, a proven talent or a hot QB season tickets will plummet....they signed a retread old coach instead of building excitement with a name, you know Brandon is aware of this and will be looking to make some type of move that puts butts in the seats....

Because I, like some of you are posting about if we DO sign Vick you wont support the team, will not be purchasing season tickets next season unless we DO sign vick-or a comparable QB along with some other talent to this team....So for Brandon, he knows he needs to do something to sell tickets, and hiring Chan Gailey was NOT the move to sell tickets

Philly isn't a small city, and they did take a hit, but they have a large enough market, and a strong enough fan base to absorb it. They also didn't put him the position to be the symbol of their franchise, since they have McNabb in that position. He would be the starting QB most likely and the face of the franchise if he came here.

I know personally I turned off any game, including playoffs when Philly was involved, and stopped using any product from any of their corporate sponsors, so I may be the extreme.

He is not very good.

He would be better than anyone else we could possibly have over the next three years, which, unless Ralph is simply immortal, will be the last three years the bills are in WNY. Lets win a few and have some fun. who wants three rebuilding years of 5-11 and then watch the team leave?

exactly...he has a history of making things out of mobile QBs

I would be absolutely fine with Vick playing like Slash Kordell Stewert...better than Edwards/Fitz/Brohm/Hamden haha

I just think it makes too much sense, very little risk with high upside

which means the stupid bills won't do it. Like waiting 3 stinking weeks and hiring Frazier. Made so much sense they didn't do it.

Guest dog14787

Chan "the man" Gailey may like what Michael Vick brings to the table and ask that Vick be brought in for an interview.

Gailey's past success with Kordell Stewart may cause Gailey / Nix to give consideration to the possibilities.

But seriously...aside from him killing dogs (and lets face it, people make mistakes, and id rather take someone killing dogs than people -ray lewis, marvin harrison, donte stallworth, rae carruth)....this guy could be had for fairly cheap, at least cheaper than a top draftd QB and has proved he can be explosive in the NFL.....why not?

Lets get over the fact that he made a mistake, he served his time in federal prison and literally paid out of his butt for his discresions...he is a playmaker, has a rocket for an arm and is not going to be out of this world expensive...why not at least sign him, keep fitzie or edwards (or both) and let them all compete for it...if Vick cant make the throws or grasp the new offense, no big deal, we have a gimmick player that can get 10 snaps a game and provide a spark

Not to mention the "mastermind" (Brandon) gives something to the fans to boost excitement and ticket sales

so guys (and gals), really, aside from killing dogs...what is so good about our current QBs that should stop us from taking a shot on Vick...even if it does cost us a 4th round pick, we could just give the eagles back the pick we got for Peters...unless hes cut and we can trick him into signing with the bills (may not be that big of a trick if there arent too many starting QB spots in the NFL next year)

Get over the McNabb lies, not happening, he will be an eagle next year and he SHOULD BE....thats like the bills trading away Jim Kelly (and yea, look up their stats, same stats for both of em, very comparable QBs and their meaning to the franchise)

so, I digress, why not Vick?

My answer is simple

because his passing accuracy sucks! Can he even hit water fallin out of a boat?

Go through the archives next time. There's at least 10 topics discussing Vick and the Bills.

This is like burping up raw seafood over...and over...and over.

I don't know what you're talking about RJ >>>>>> Flutie :ph34r:

No wait JP>>>>TE

BTW...Vick is an atrocious QB....

Go through the archives next time. There's at least 10 topics discussing Vick and the Bills.

Thanks for helping me figure out what I wanted for dinner this eve.

Well Dog fighting is acceptable in the inner city culture of America so GET OVER IT.

So is murder, robbing bodegas and shooting their owners, and selling little runaway girls into prostitution. You OK with that too, so long as it brings your favorite team a playoff appearance a year or two before they abandon you for a bigger city?

You make me feel smart.

Anyone supportive of Vick, I do not have a problem with at all. They are entitled to that viewpoint, and it is their freedom.

However, I would be done with the Bills and likely the NFL

Animal cruelty is a really important issue for me. I have spent time volunteering at Animal Shelters, I donate money to animal cruelty organizations regularly. Yes, I do understand there may be more important causes in human matters, but this is what I choose to support. What Vick has done is ghastly and in my eyes he is a cockroach. I dont care if it happens in his community. They are all scum too. I work down the road from Camden, NJ and crack and murders are part of their culture there it doesnt make it right if someone moves to Oswego and starts shooting people and selling crack.

Again, I can respect the viewpoint of those who would choose to look past Vick's past. It is their right, as it is my right to hold this against him forever. I dont think either side is "incorrect", which is why this debate rages on on message boards all over the country. He has been released from prison and he has been allowed to make a living. That doesnt mean I have to pay money and cheer when he does well and makes more millions.

Nice post

As to those who bring up past Bill's transgressions, I admit it has made my interest wane. Ten seasons of futility does less to harm how I feel about the team than seeing the seedy underbelly of my past heroes.

The incident with the possible hit and run (as well as other allegations) concerns me with Lynch.

Michael Vick on the team I root for and I will not support them while he is there. I am gone on vacation at least. Considering the recent issue with concussions, I might not ever be back.

This is still a business, and the Bills need money to be competitive. If they bring in someone like this, a lot the so called wah wah people are going to take their support and money to other forms of entertainment. Remember the Bills are run by a public relations person primarily, so highly doubt he is going to take a chance on a player with marginal QB skills in exchange for losing support of portion of their fan base.

And for the record, I do find him to be one of the worst offenders of the legal system of any player has done while still wearing a uniform. He ran a criminal organization, placed bets illegally, ran a cover company to hide the illegal activity, operated that company across state lines, and even after being caught lied to the face of his employer and the commissioner about the crimes he committed. While not as bad as murder, every thing he did was premeditated and occurred over a very long period of time.

I don't think it takes a whole lot of intelligence to understand image does have an potential impact on income.

nicely stated. If Russ Brandon allowed that sociopath to come here, St John Fisher would demand he return his degree

Consider this - If he had not been caught would he still be doing all that garbage? I believe the answer is yes. Michael Vick is sorry Michael Vick got caught- period. Ok, he paid for his crime as required by the legal system but that doesn't take away the fact that he is/was predisposed to such ugly activity. The man is still the same as before he was caught. Let's not bring him to Buffalo, pay him millions and cheer him on like some sort of hero......

Considering he keeps saying "It's unfortunate this happened to me" he'd have gone back to doing it as soon as he got out of prison if he thought he could get away with it. That's a bigger issue than the 6 years of vicious crimes he committed as far as I'm concerned...that he's not remorseful and he thinks he was the victim.

The way I see it if we want an inaccurate passer who scrambles and runs well, has good games and bad, inconsistent ,

we had a guy just like that...he's wearing #7 for Oakland now

Dog fighting is what Mike Vick grew up around. alot of inner city people engage in dog fighting. it's not as taboo to them as most of society makes it out to be. Pedro Martinez was cockfighting in the dominican and no one hates him because it is acceptable in the dominican culture. Well Dog fighting is acceptable in the inner city culture of America so GET OVER IT. He got caught for doing something he grew up doing and was punished for it. He is flat broke, lost years of his career, and has been burned at the stake by the media and American public. Give the guy a break. I forgot everyone on this board is a saint.

What about cheating on your wife? Who do you consider more of a scumbag: someone who has a wife and kids and is out cheating on his wife every weekend (which im sure most athletes are doing), or someone who killed some dogs? I'd go with the cheater.

what about driving drunk (which could potentially kill someone anytime you do it)? Bruce Smith has been arrested for 2 DUIs yet we still love him to death and support him.

If Vick gives us a better chance to win i'm all for it.

So because he was never taught right from wrong, he should be given forgiveness when he's not remorseful? :wallbash: that

You don't know much about the NFL, do you? He was on a practice squad because he had potential. If he had none, the Packers would've never placed him there....it's common sense

there's at least 1 every week...kinda have to wonder why the excessive threads don't get locked like every other topic that gets repeated

So is murder, robbing bodegas and shooting their owners, and selling little runaway girls into prostitution. You OK with that too, so long as it brings your favorite team a playoff appearance a year or two before they abandon you for a bigger city?

You make me feel smart.

some people were born without a conscience...or without basic football knowledge for that matter.

Nice post

As to those who bring up past Bill's transgressions, I admit it has made my interest wane. Ten seasons of futility does less to harm how I feel about the team than seeing the seedy underbelly of my past heroes.

The incident with the possible hit and run (as well as other allegations) concerns me with Lynch.

Truth be told, I'd be happy to see Lynch leave Buffalo the next time he gets into any trouble...and I was hoping he'd be our 1st rd pick in 07, too

I don't want Vick here either, but it occurrs to me that for all the complete scumbags in pro sports, Vick is in the >1% that have actually been appropriately punished for their crimes. Most of the time they don't face any recrimination. Hell, that ex-NJ Net shot a guy in cold blood and got off scot free.

SIGN, SEAL AND DELIVERY ME VICK... ill be first in line with my 100 bucks for that jersey and ill also forgive ralph and buddy a.k.a. the good ole boys for forcing me to be ok with chan *fundamentals* gailey...when can i get my damn jersey??? and everyone sayin he sucks must have not seen him play... cuz i seen a guy defenses hated to play, a strong arm, pro bowler, beat legends at there field and got to the nfc championchip with no recievers..BUT HE SUCKS ha! slap yourself please...granted that was 3 years ago but sayin he sucked then is more retarded than buddy nix sayin he got 15 calls a day over the bills job....

Something tells me you would enjoy a bunch of thugs on the bills, maybe it's your avatar. The falcons spent three to four considerable draft picks on receivers to compliment vick and none of them ever showed progression while he was there, if i am not mistaken Roddy White had a better season with a rookie qb than the 2-3 years with vick on the roster.

Id take Vick in a heart beat. He has a cannon for an arm and quick release --- perfect cold weather passer. He still has untapped potential which Gailey can groom. He's 1000x better than anything we have. An offense with Vick-Owens-Evans-Jackson/Lynch-decent TE- and decent Oline will put up a lot of points.

Tell Me This Guy Doesn't Throw a Sweet Ball