Obama's New Strategy

Magox

I found this to be very interesting, it was a comment from BO that is going to be aired tonight:

Obama urged members of Congress to coalesce around "core elements" of health reform as some guidance.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-roo...brown-is-seated

If I am reading into this correctly, I believe that they are considering scaling down the bill big time. He mentions insurance reform, the need to stop his perceived view of health insurance practice abuse and cost containment, no where does he mention Universal health care. It would make sense because of the main issues that the American public has with their vision of Health reform is the total cost of the bill, the burden it will put on the taxpayer, the possibility it will add to the deficit and mandating that people have to buy insurance.

Without this element, I believe that there could be a bipartisan effort. If you add in Tort reform and intrastate competiton between the health insurers along with the preexisting medical condition, closing the prescription donut hole, importation of generic drugs and the removal of the Antitrust exemption I think we can have a solid bipartisan bill that would definitely improve the system that we have today.

Simply focusing on a few issues, rather than trying to fix everything at once with a 2000+ page bill that no one's read, would be a GREAT start.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply focusing on a few issues, rather than trying to fix everything at once with a 2000+ page bill that no one's read, would be a GREAT start.

They were putting all their eggs in the "we have a filibuster proof number of votes" basket so they were trying to get as much payola into it as possible. At the end of the day, they're politicians and there's no way in hell they can do what's right when there's that much money to be divided up amongst the kingdoms.

Like my buddy used to say: "I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." Thank God the only thing they can organize is a campaign against the legacy of George W. Bush.

They were putting all their eggs in the "we have a filibuster proof number of votes" basket so they were trying to get as much payola into it as possible. At the end of the day, they're politicians and there's no way in hell they can do what's right when there's that much money to be divided up amongst the kingdoms.

That's real leadership right there.

Damn, I half expected today's "buzz saw" comment from Obama to be the last soundbite.

I'd never been to TPM, so I popped over to check it out and HO-LY-SH-IT that site is filled with hundreds of little, mindless Blzruls and Bishop Hedds posting all the nutty stuff they put here. Freakish uber-liberal site, ready to pin down and shave every hair off Michelle Bachmann's conservative head.

Can't wait until the State of the Union Address. :thumbsup:

One thing that stands out from that video, though, is how much he linked himself to a bunch of catty, infighting, whiny little bitches (i.e. Congress) as though he was still a Senator. He'd have come off a lot better if, at any time in the past year, he'd changed his message from "We need to get this done!" to "Congress needs to get this done!" Linking himself personally to the hope that a majority of 535 people might agree on something was probably not the smoothest political move.

Another thing that stands out is: he has aged. I know the job does that to a guy, but it's still a bit of a shock to see.

One thing that stands out from that video, though, is how much he linked himself to a bunch of catty, infighting, whiny little bitches (i.e. Congress) as though he was still a Senator. He'd have come off a lot better if, at any time in the past year, he'd changed his message from "We need to get this done!" to "Congress needs to get this done!" Linking himself personally to the hope that a majority of 535 people might agree on something was probably not the smoothest political move.

Another thing that stands out is: he has aged. I know the job does that to a guy, but it's still a bit of a shock to see.

I was not as watchful when Clinton attempted health care reform, but my understanding was the mistake he made was crafting it himself and trying to get the houses to agree. I suspect you (or others here) were watching that more closely back then, so I'm curious as to whether you think his crafting it first was really the issue, or was it the meat of his proposal, or just a total cluster?

Yes, his DNA is all over this in ways that a more artful politician would have avoided - possibly.

But his style is Chicago-based. The bigger the problem - the bigger the thug you need to be to overcome it.

Funny you mentioned his aging in office. I noticed that about a month ago I began seeing gray hairs.

It'll be all white before his term is over.

Yes, his DNA is all over this in ways that a more artful politician would have avoided - possibly.

But his style is Chicago-based. The bigger the problem - the bigger the thug you need to be to overcome it.

Funny you mentioned his aging in office. I noticed that about a month ago I began seeing gray hairs.

Damn right! Whereelse in the world do people still do this? We are losing all common sense at times. The world needs a heavy hand at times.

I don't know why people jump all this "Chiago approach." Sure it is brazen, but it is a reason why Chicago has "worked all these years." Chicago would be just as wishy-washy as BFLO if it didn't have this approach. True, it can be over-the-top at times. Again, the world needs a little more of that can do spirit with out all the drama, theatrics, emotions, and hysteria.

Obama with his short time here, learned well. Unfortunately the rest of the country stopped operating with any common sense a long time ago and I understand how frustrating that can be... So the perceived "thug" takes over.

Being an outsider, it still pisses me off a little till I learn to go with the flow.

Looks like his looney left base is in control of things and he most likely won't be moving to the left.

When I heard that David Plouffe was going to take a more active role in shaping their politics, I figured this is what would happen.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31900.html

Do any of you believe that BO can pull off the angered "populist" role? Doesn't seem like his cup of tea to me.

Looks like his looney left base is in control of things and he most likely won't be moving to the left.

When I heard that David Plouffe was going to take a more active role in shaping their politics, I figured this is what would happen.

Do any of you believe that BO can pull off the angered "populist" role? Doesn't seem like his cup of tea to me.

. Obama road-tested his new message during a town hall Friday in Ohio, when he said 20 times that he will fight for average Americans. He even starts talking in the third person.

Hey...we're getting the band back together!!! :wallbash:

I wonder which PPP poster poser this is.

Ellie Light sure gets around.

In recent weeks, Light has published virtually identical “Letters to the Editor” in support of President Barack Obama in more than a dozen newspapers.Every letter claimed a different residence for Light that happened to be in the newspaper’s circulation area.

Philadelphia, San Francisco, Mansfield, OH, New Mexico, South Carolina, Virginia, Maine, Michigan, Iowa...

What a promiscuous little Op Ed / ballot box stuffer.

. Obama road-tested his new message during a town hall Friday in Ohio, when he said 20 times that he will fight for average Americans. He even starts talking in the third person.

When he uses the words "average Americans" and "middle class" he is not referring to average middle class people. He's referring moreso to the unproductive class who are the new "middle and average classes" to this administration.

When he uses the words "average Americans" and "middle class" he is not referring to average middle class people. He's referring moreso to the unproductive class who are the new "middle and average classes" to this administration.

Yes, that's the greatest Democrat constituency - people with no skin in the game.

Having a government taking other people's money to solve all their problems is child's play.

Hey, vote for me. I'll tax all the big fat cats and use that money to... pay your mortgage, buy you a car, buy you a house, buy you and your family health care, buy you...

America - you've been bought.

Damn right! Whereelse in the world do people still do this? We are losing all common sense at times. The world needs a heavy hand at times.

I don't know why people jump all this "Chiago approach." Sure it is brazen, but it is a reason why Chicago has "worked all these years." Chicago would be just as wishy-washy as BFLO if it didn't have this approach. True, it can be over-the-top at times. Again, the world needs a little more of that can do spirit with out all the drama, theatrics, emotions, and hysteria.

Obama with his short time here, learned well. Unfortunately the rest of the country stopped operating with any common sense a long time ago and I understand how frustrating that can be... So the perceived "thug" takes over.

Being an outsider, it still pisses me off a little till I learn to go with the flow.

So the bigger the problem, the bigger the thug we need. Interesting.

Al Capone

Adolph Hitler

Benito Mussolini

Joseph Stalin

Mao

Pol Pot

Sadamn Hussein

The Taliban

Ahmadinejad

Hugo Chavez

And you want to put BO's name up there in that list of criminals and thugs - a president of the United States? That's telling.

So the bigger the problem, the bigger the thug we need. Interesting.

Al Capone

Adolph Hitler

Benito Mussolini

Joseph Stalin

Mao

Pol Pot

Sadamn Hussein

G.W. Bush

The Taliban

Ahmadinejad

Hugo Chavez

And you want to put BO's name up there in that list of criminals and thugs - a president of the United States? That's telling.

:lol: You guys know no bounds...

You are going overboard and to the extreme. No comparing, those people are over-the-top.

Nice try though... :lol:

:P You guys know no bounds...

You are going overboard and to the extreme. No comparing, those people are over-the-top.

Nice try though... :lol:

Not too far overboard, though. "The world needs a heavy hand at times" isn't too far off the authoritarian ideas in fascism.

It also describes very well the Bush administration...but don't let that stop you from extolling it where you've complained about it before. :lol: