Obama's New Strategy

Magox

So now with enormous defeat of the Democratic Machine in the bluest of blue states, the shockwaves of the people's vote of Massachusetts will be felt through out the entire Democratic Caucus. There will be alot of questions being asked, second guessing leadership, false reassurances from one another and lots and lots of soul searching.

The problem is that BO and House Leadership have a major fundamental difference in how to run the country, and there is little doubt in my mind that they believe they are in the right, and that they believe they are losing the communication war, as opposed to people really substantively disagreeing with their policies.

I've noticed that there has been a lot of finger pointing going on from the W.H, Rahm Emanuel basically through Coakley under the bus on the day of the election, which tells me that they will remain tone deaf to the American public, just as they were in the N.J race when they placed the blame strictly on local politics and what they did in Virginia when they blamed Creigh Deeds for running a lousy campaign. We have to be real here, Obama won all three of those states, two of which are very liberal states the other trending in that direction, but the one common denominator in all three of those races are BO's policies, and that is a fact.

My guess is that they won't try to push the bill within the next 10 days before Brown gets seated, as you know Jim Webb is already against it, and my most likely more will follow suit. It's not just the fact that some of their caucus are against this, but the House Libs in my view won't swallow this Senate Bill as is, due to the major internal difference of the two bills.

I'm afraid that they will go through the Reconciliation process. The defiant nature that I am seeing from Democratic leadership most likely the W.H tells me that they are going to Double down and ante up. I expect them to come out swinging, trying to capitalize on voter angst and anger and look to capitalize on it. They will bring back the old rhetoric of the Bush blame game, paint republicans as obstructionists, and try to align them with the bankers while telling the American public that by agreeing with the Republican policies will bring us right back to where we were before.

This strategy won't work. The Democrats are in power and the American Public always blames the party in control and this is where there fundamental flaw will lie.

So get ready for the next few days, it should get really interesting.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with reconciliation is that though they might get this Bill done through it, it will mean the end of a lot of Congress-critter jobs if they do. There are a lot of scared Dems this morning. A 5% win in Mass. will be double-digit losses in 2010 for Dems who rode the Obama wave in more divided states.

It's interesting because listening to commentary last night, most people on the left are convinced Obama will do what he can to shove this bill through at any cost. While I am no fan of Obama, I sincerely doubt he's so freaking moronic that he'd make everyone on the left commit political hari-kari. He's been working on his legacy and presidential library since he was inaugurated and to ignore yesterday's epic embarrassment and "double down" would be messy.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem watching him crap his pants and get out in one term while rivaling Jimmy Carter in how putrid his presidency was...I just don't think he's that freaking stupid. Byt the left seem pretty adamant that few things will change.

It's interesting because listening to commentary last night, most people on the left are convinced Obama will do what he can to shove this bill through at any cost. While I am no fan of Obama, I sincerely doubt he's so freaking moronic that he'd make everyone on the left commit political hari-kari. He's been working on his legacy and presidential library since he was inaugurated and to ignore yesterday's epic embarrassment and "double down" would be messy.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem watching him crap his pants and get out in one term while rivaling Jimmy Carter in how putrid his presidency was...I just don't think he's that freaking stupid. Byt the left seem pretty adamant that few things will change.

I truly expect Obama to do whatever he can to push this through now. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, but I think his own ideology trumps all including common sense. It'll be interesting. The right thing to do on health care is to tear up the 2700 page beast and put something together that can be widely supported.

What makes you believe that he would do otherwise? I hope I am wrong, I hope that they reach out to the other side of the aisle and look to move the ball forward using an incremental approach. The Republicans would be smart to take advantage of this ass whooping that they just handed in Massachusetts, and should come out with a huge PUBLICIZED plan that includes Intrastate Health Insurance competition, Tort reform, tax breaks on health insurance plans and look to compromise on the liberal issues such as Pre Existing conditions and closing the donut hole.

This would be the smart thing to do, now that Libs publicly come out on the losing end, the conservatives should capitalize on this opportunity by taking the lead and showing that they are willing to work with the Democrats to get a better Health Insurance Bill through.

But of course, the Republicans won't do this and they will continue to do what they have been doing, which is rejecting any plan that the others produce.

Axelrod was just on with Gibbs, which is said to be the first time they've done an interview together (which makes me think Axelrod is in overdrive controlling the message, even Gibbs can't spin this)

He said the election was all about people's anger with the economy that "existed before" Obama and had nothing to do with healthcare or the president's agenda.

Even MSNBC asked "How can you say that?"

But of course, the Republicans won't do this and they will continue to do what they have been doing, which is rejecting any plan that the others produce.

Which, strategically, is probably not a bad idea in terms of picking up a bunch of seats in November. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but if the left really keeps moving forward without the right (which is what THEY have been doing), they'll complete blow up while they run around saying "Jobs is our new first priority!"

Axelrod was just on with Gibbs, which is said to be the first time they've done an interview together (which makes me think Axelrod is in overdrive controlling the message, even Gibbs can't spin this)

Gibbs is in over his head on a GOOD day. No way they leave the training wheels off today.

He said the election was all about people's anger with the economy that "existed before" Obama and had nothing to do with healthcare or the president's agenda.

:blink: Thats just too freakin funny, really.

:lol: Thats just too freakin funny, really.

Well, if there is good news about this embarrassing loss, it's that everyone is paying attention to this and no one is paying attention to this.

Criticized by some conservative Republicans, President Obama's nominee to head up the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Erroll Southers, withdrew his name from consideration, it was announced today.

Southers, the Los Angeles World Airports Police Department Assistant Chief for Homeland Security and Intelligence, said in a statement that though he'd been "extremely excited about the opportunity" to head the TSA, "it is apparent that this path has been obstructed by political ideology" and that his "nomination has become a lightning rod for those who have chosen to push a political agenda at the risk of the safety and security of the American people."

The reference to what Southers called an "unacceptable" and "partisan" climate was intended as a shot against Sen. Jim DeMint, R-SC, who had repeatedly questioned whether Southers would allow TSA’s security screeners to unionize.

Looks like nothing on the surface, but the last part of the last sentence is key. Great job by DeMint for catching this early and fighting it often.

Looks like nothing on the surface, but the last part of the last sentence is key. Great job by DeMint for catching this early and fighting it often.

Yes, we need another massive group of government employees who have lifetime job security/benefits, regardless of whether they do their jobs properly or not :lol:

While we are at it, lets make it impossible to restructure the TSA and allow it to respond quickly to new tactics when necessary....because we have to keep the same org chart as part of the current union contract/pay scale. :thumbsup:

And, even better, let's make it near impossible to fire TSA agents that don't get the job done, because hey, their right to their jobs is more important than our right to live, the union says so. :worthy:

Of course we should allow the TSA to unionize...while we are at it, let's let the FBI, CIA, NSA, and the military unionize as well. Not supporting this unionization means you are immoral! :lol:

Their not?

Only through liberal eyes. Just because they reject mandating that people buy insurance or be subject to penalties, cap and trade legislation, card check, Spending stimulus bill or higher taxation doesn't mean that they are obstructionists it just means that there is a fundamental difference between the two parties and how to best tackle todays problems. But of course that is what you hear from the Democratic pundits and parroted over and over therefore almost half of the public buys into it. The reality PBills is that over 50% of Americans don't buy this, the ones in the middle, the Independents reject BO's, Reid's and Pelosi's policies, so I would say at this stage of the game, if you want to call it obstructionism, then call it what you will, but most Americans are pleased to see someone desperately try to "obstruct" this far left agenda.

I found this to be very interesting, it was a comment from BO that is going to be aired tonight:

Obama urged members of Congress to coalesce around "core elements" of health reform as some guidance.

"I would advise that we try to move quickly to coalesce around those elements of the package that people agree on," Obama said. "We know that we need insurance reform, that the health insurance companies are taking advantage of people. We know that we have to have some form of cost containment because if we don't, then our budgets are going to blow up and we know that small businesses are going to need help so that they can provide health insurance to their families. Those are the core, some of the core elements of, to this bill."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-roo...brown-is-seated

If I am reading into this correctly, I believe that they are considering scaling down the bill big time. He mentions insurance reform, the need to stop his perceived view of health insurance practice abuse and cost containment, no where does he mention Universal health care. It would make sense because of the main issues that the American public has with their vision of Health reform is the total cost of the bill, the burden it will put on the taxpayer, the possibility it will add to the deficit and mandating that people have to buy insurance.

Without this element, I believe that there could be a bipartisan effort. If you add in Tort reform and intrastate competiton between the health insurers along with the preexisting medical condition, closing the prescription donut hole, importation of generic drugs and the removal of the Antitrust exemption I think we can have a solid bipartisan bill that would definitely improve the system that we have today.

When you're David Axelrod and your explanation goes over like a lead balloon on MSNBC, you're in serious trouble.

The funny thing is that Obama is so arrogant and out of touch with real people that he probably believes Axelrod's explanation.

:blink: