Why Gailey might be the right hire

Orton's Arm

I was driving around the Buffalo area a lot today, which gave me the chance to listen to the Shred and Reagan show. While the ADD factor of that show was annoying (random jumps to different topics, songs thrown in for no good reason, etc.), I figured it was worth putting up with that junk to get more information about the Bills' new head coach.

What I learned:

• People from Kansas City spoke favorably about the Gailey hire. Apparently the reason he was fired from his OC position was because KC's current head coach wanted to install an Arizona-style offense in KC, even though he didn't have a Kurt Warner or a Larry Fitzgerald. Gailey wanted to adapt the offense to the talent he actually had.
  • Jerry Jones apparently called his decision to fire Gailey as the Cowboys' head coach one of the worst business decisions he'd ever made.
  • As an OC, Gailey has shown a knack for turning lemons into lemonade. He's had success with Kordell Stewart, Thigpen, Fielder--guys who became nonentities after their time with Gailey.
  • Had Bill Cowher been hired, he would have selected Chan Gailey as his offensive coordinator.
  • Vic Carucci was interviewed. He felt certain the Bills would switch to a 3-4 defense under Gailey. He said that someone high up in the Bills' organization--it was either Nix or Wilson--had concluded that a 3-4 defense was a better way to go than a 4-3. Carucci seemed to agree with that proposition, and cited several examples of 3-4 defenses that were superior/better than their 4-3 counterparts.

I'm not 100% convinced this hire will work out, but at least there's significant potential for it to.

Going (back) to the 3-4 would seem to make sense. The Bills ran it for a decade, all during the SB run, and it's currently all the rage. The problem the Bills had back then was they had no true NT. And that will be the first order of business: getting a true NT.

Going (back) to the 3-4 would seem to make sense. The Bills ran it for a decade, all during the SB run, and it's currently all the rage. The problem the Bills had back then was they had no true NT. And that will be the first order of business: getting a true NT.

Or the LBs ...

I'm betting Ted Washington can still be better than Bills' NTs today.

I was driving around the Buffalo area a lot today, which gave me the chance to listen to the Shred and Reagan show. While the ADD factor of that show was annoying (random jumps to different topics, songs thrown in for no good reason, etc.), I figured it was worth putting up with that junk to get more information about the Bills' new head coach.

What I learned:

• People from Kansas City spoke favorably about the Gailey hire. Apparently the reason he was fired from his OC position was because KC's current head coach wanted to install an Arizona-style offense in KC, even though he didn't have a Kurt Warner or a Larry Fitzgerald. Gailey wanted to adapt the offense to the talent he actually had.
  • Jerry Jones apparently called his decision to fire Gailey as the Cowboys' head coach one of the worst business decisions he'd ever made.
  • As an OC, Gailey has shown a knack for turning lemons into lemonade. He's had success with Kordell Stewart, Thigpen, Fielder--guys who became nonentities after their time with Gailey.
  • Had Bill Cowher been hired, he would have selected Chan Gailey as his offensive coordinator.
  • Vic Carucci was interviewed. He felt certain the Bills would switch to a 3-4 defense under Gailey. He said that someone high up in the Bills' organization--it was either Nix or Wilson--had concluded that a 3-4 defense was a better way to go than a 4-3. Carucci seemed to agree with that proposition, and cited several examples of 3-4 defenses that were superior/better than their 4-3 counterparts.

I'm not 100% convinced this hire will work out, but at least there's significant potential for it to.

But we don't' really have the personnel for a 3-4 defense. So, if he's all about adapting a system to fit your players, how does that work? Or is that only on the offensive side of the ball? I don't know. No sure I really care, to be honest. nevermind.

But we don't' really have the personnel for a 3-4 defense. So, if he's all about adapting a system to fit your players, how does that work? Or is that only on the offensive side of the ball? I don't know. No sure I really care, to be honest. nevermind.

With Schobel contemplating retirement, we don't necessarily have the talent for a 4-3 either. In fact, I can't think of any good players on the DL who are still relatively young. Kyle Williams being a sort-of exception, but he could always play LDE in a 3-4. He'd be a little like Phil Hansen.

Maybin might be better suited to being an OLB in a 3-4 than he seems to be as a DE in a 4-3. I think that Poz and other good, youngish LBs should be able to find a place to fit as well. (Scott being a possible exception. But he could always go back to SS.)

Obviously, the first order of business in transitioning to a 3-4 would be to find a NT. I think there's a good one that should be available later in the first round. The Bills could always trade back into the first to take that guy! We need young DL talent anyway (see above), so there's no shame in taking a guy like that!

TERRENCE CODY, there, problem solved

What I learned:

Good post and well said. Give Chan some time and a chance to succeed. He brings a certain energy and positive mindset that we have been lacking for many years.

What intrigues me is that this might bring some football knowledge and stability to the Bills for the next few years.

Two old Southern coaches, who have known each other for years and have the same philosophy, working to bring in the personel to run their system. We'll definitely see a "run first, pass second" Offensive (both men have said so). It'll be interesting to see who the D coordinator is and what the plans on that side of the ball are, for sure...

I think this was posted earlier, but here's a good article talking about Gailey's Offensive philosophy:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/story/2008/1/17/113839/145

Seriously, it sounds like these guys are at least *trying* to put together the O that we've been begging for here in Buffalo!

With Schobel contemplating retirement, we don't necessarily have the talent for a 4-3 either. In fact, I can't think of any good players on the DL who are still relatively young. Kyle Williams being a sort-of exception, but he could always play LDE in a 3-4. He'd be a little like Phil Hansen.

Maybin might be better suited to being an OLB in a 3-4 than he seems to be as a DE in a 4-3. I think that Poz and other good, youngish LBs should be able to find a place to fit as well. (Scott being a possible exception. But he could always go back to SS.)

Obviously, the first order of business in transitioning to a 3-4 would be to find a NT. I think there's a good one that should be available later in the first round. The Bills could always trade back into the first to take that guy! We need young DL talent anyway (see above), so there's no shame in taking a guy like that!

.....you must have more than Edwards arm, maybe a bit of his knock on the old noogan as well, if youseriously think Kyle Williams could be even "a little like Phil Hansen". Hansen was lightning quick compared to Williams, very strong without the girth, and a superior pass rusher. Phil was an unsung star back in the day. Tough on the run, and able to put some heat on the QB, and he did it in an unfavorable 3-4 (for a pass rushing DE that is).

However, you're spot on in stating we'd need a NT as there isn't one on the roster today. Also, I would agree at this stage that maybe Maybin's future lies in being a rushing OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

What I learned:

So on average he'll be good for, what, 3.5 wins a season?

If a perennial brain-damaged mouth-breather like you thinks "Coach Chan Gailey" is a good idea, it can't possibly be.

If a perennial brain-damaged mouth-breather like you thinks "Coach Chan Gailey" is a good idea, it can't possibly be.

As long as we're discussing each other's posting records, let's have a look at yours. You've done the following:

• First, attempted to deny that there's such a thing as the regression effect. Even laughed when I showed you an article about it.
  • Later, admitted such a thing existed, after I found other, similar articles from places like Stanford and Tufts.
  • Then, you claimed that the regression effect only applied to auto-correlations. For those who aren't very familiar with statistics, the logical contortions Tom must have needed to go through to reach that stupid a conclusion are almost beyond description.
  • Accused me of using poor statistical terminology--I'd described something as a "quasi-normal distribution" because it was similar to a normal distribution--while, in the same sentence, using the phrase "binomial distribution" to describe a multinomial distribution! :blink: For your own personal edification, the word "bi" means two. So when you have a distribution with more than two possible outcomes, it is not a binomial distribution! Coin flips = binomial distribution. Die rolls = multinomial distribution.

What makes all this worse is that statistics is supposed to be your "thing." I mean, your alleged expertise in that field is deeply involved with your weekly paycheck. Apparently the government isn't as good about getting rid of dead weight as one might have hoped. No sane employer would even consider hiring you for anything even remotely statistics-related. The combination of your ignorance, your inability to apply basic logic to statistical principles, and your know-it-all, condescending personality make you an extremely poor fit for any serious, statistics-related position.

.....you must have more than Edwards arm, maybe a bit of his knock on the old noogan as well, if youseriously think Kyle Williams could be even "a little like Phil Hansen". Hansen was lightning quick compared to Williams, very strong without the girth, and a superior pass rusher. Phil was an unsung star back in the day. Tough on the run, and able to put some heat on the QB, and he did it in an unfavorable 3-4 (for a pass rushing DE that is).

However, you're spot on in stating we'd need a NT as there isn't one on the roster today. Also, I would agree at this stage that maybe Maybin's future lies in being a rushing OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

I wouldn't go quite so far as you have in that bolded statement. Hansen played for eleven seasons, and in that time obtained 61.5 sacks. Allowing for time missed due to injury and so forth, that's about six sacks a season. All of which probably came against single teams, especially considering the guy we had at RDE.

I'm not promising that Kyle Williams could get six sacks a season as a LDE, but he's gotten some good penetration at times. Play him for 16 games as a starter at LDE, and he probably comes away with a few sacks over the course of the season. He made four sacks this past season as a DT.

While comparisons about their pass rushing ability are difficult to make (due to them playing different positions), run-stopping comparisons are even more speculative. But for the sake of moving the discussion forward, I'll throw this datum out there. Stats about the number of tackles made were not kept until Hansen's last year as a Bill. That year he made 22 tackles over the course of 12 games. Kyle Williams had 41 tackles this past season over the course of 14 games. I'll grant that Hansen's tackle numbers were probably a lot better in previous seasons (for which stats were not kept).

When I hear a name like Phil Hansen, I think of a big, strong guy who was a run-stopper first, but also a solid pass rusher. As a LDE, Kyle Williams would be a similar style of player to that, even if he never reached Hansen's level of play.

As long as we're discussing each other's posting records, let's have a look at yours. You've done the following:
  • First, attempted to deny that there's such a thing as the regression effect. Even laughed when I showed you an article about it.
  • Later, admitted such a thing existed, after I found other, similar articles from places like Stanford and Tufts.
  • Then, you claimed that the regression effect only applied to auto-correlations. For those who aren't very familiar with statistics, the logical contortions Tom must have needed to go through to reach that stupid a conclusion are almost beyond description.
  • Accused me of using poor statistical terminology--I'd described something as a "quasi-normal distribution" because it was similar to a normal distribution--while, in the same sentence, using the phrase "binomial distribution" to describe a multinomial distribution! :blink: For your own personal edification, the word "bi" means two. So when you have a distribution with more than two possible outcomes, it is not a binomial distribution! Coin flips = binomial distribution. Die rolls = multinomial distribution.

What makes all this worse is that statistics is supposed to be your "thing." I mean, your alleged expertise in that field is deeply involved with your weekly paycheck. Apparently the government isn't as good about getting rid of dead weight as one might have hoped. No sane employer would even consider hiring you for anything even remotely statistics-related. The combination of your ignorance, your inability to apply basic logic to statistical principles, and your know-it-all, condescending personality make you an extremely poor fit for any serious, statistics-related position.

Holy... Why I am reading this at this time? Seriously. WTF? Pithy comments belong at the bottom of an online news story and there is nothing to see here. Keep moving!

Terrance Cody?

Sounds like we have a perfect trade back opportunity. Trade back, get two seconds, grab an OT in the 2nd, and Cody in the late first.

Fill two holes for the price of the one.

Ah, so glad to see people trying to be constructive with the news! I'm sick of all the Chan-bashing already. Yeah, I know he's not a popular pick, and I know he seems like a risky choice, but pissing and moaning about everything doesn't get anything done. It's refreshing to see that some people are actually interested in discussing the possibilities that new hires bring, instead of just whining and complaining all the time.

Cody was not an every down player in college, so prob couldn't in NFL either.

He's good player, and fun to watch collapse the pocket, but not who we should use #9 pick on!

Get McClain, whether you stay w/ 4-3 or switch to 3-4, he'll be money.