Why Gailey might be the right hire

Orton's Arm

Hope springs eternal. It keeps us fans coming back year-after-year-after-year. That said, I LIKE this hire. I like Buddy Nix and I like Chan Gailey. I think these two will make the Bills relevant again. One stat I really liked was Gailey going 8-0 in his division one year. Obviously, he knows how to prepare for the games that really matter (and they ALL matter, but those divisional games have even more impact on playoff chances, so that is nice to see).

I was driving around the Buffalo area a lot today, which gave me the chance to listen to the Shred and Reagan show. While the ADD factor of that show was annoying (random jumps to different topics, songs thrown in for no good reason, etc.), I figured it was worth putting up with that junk to get more information about the Bills' new head coach.

What I learned:

• People from Kansas City spoke favorably about the Gailey hire. Apparently the reason he was fired from his OC position was because KC's current head coach wanted to install an Arizona-style offense in KC, even though he didn't have a Kurt Warner or a Larry Fitzgerald. Gailey wanted to adapt the offense to the talent he actually had.
  • Jerry Jones apparently called his decision to fire Gailey as the Cowboys' head coach one of the worst business decisions he'd ever made.
  • As an OC, Gailey has shown a knack for turning lemons into lemonade. He's had success with Kordell Stewart, Thigpen, Fielder--guys who became nonentities after their time with Gailey.
  • Had Bill Cowher been hired, he would have selected Chan Gailey as his offensive coordinator.
  • Vic Carucci was interviewed. He felt certain the Bills would switch to a 3-4 defense under Gailey. He said that someone high up in the Bills' organization--it was either Nix or Wilson--had concluded that a 3-4 defense was a better way to go than a 4-3. Carucci seemed to agree with that proposition, and cited several examples of 3-4 defenses that were superior/better than their 4-3 counterparts.

I'm not 100% convinced this hire will work out, but at least there's significant potential for it to.

No, no, no no no. You have it all wrong. This is not a site for intelligent analysis and possible optimism. This is a site for knee jerk reactions and pure vitriol. Geez. :lol: