a year ago today......Circuit City went buh-bye

The Poojer

i know y'all have put up with it for a while from me, but a year ago today, I found out my job, my company, and the day to day interactions with a whole crap load of really special people was coming to an 'abrupt' and unceremoniously end....1/16/09, Circuit City decided to liquidate and cease to exist.

Today roughly 150 former CC people got together, thanks to a viral Facebook campaign, in the former store support center parking lot and had a 'rogue' tailgate party. we all descended upon the 2 buildings and just hung out, reaquainted ourselves, shared stories and commiserated about the past year as well as the time we had all spent at CC(and drank a butt load of alcohol).

Not sure if anyone has had the opportunity to work at or for a place that they truly loved working for, but I did, and the people that and events of today showed me that Circuit City was a hell of a lot more than just a job for me. We laughed, we talked, we made new friendships and basically just picked up where a lot of us had left off exactly a year ago.

Say what you want about Circuit City, but know this...the rank and file of the place, myself included, loved serving the Consumer Electronics consumers and wish we were still able to do it under the Circuit City name. We tried to make it a better place for y'all to shop.

It still sucks, 365 days later, that I can't work there. I hope some of you are able to find a place of employment that brings you so much pride and enjoyment as I was able to find. If not, please look at where you currently work and make it the best damned place in the world to work and and make others jealous that they can't work at the same place.

I hope that I can find the same satisfaction in my next job, and I am going to do my best to make that happen.

I miss Circuit City. I wish I could have ended my working career there

<end of sentimental b.s.>

I miss Circuit City. I never worked there,but now that they're gone there's only Best Buy and Sears for competition where I live. And Best Buy sucks,imo. There's always a 19 year old salesman,who don't know sh-t,trying to talk me into something more expensive. And then he won't take NO for an answer about his dumbass extended warranty. Circuit City would usually end up with my buisness cuz they had reasonably intellegent salesmen,good prices and a good selection (better than Best Buy). Now I usually buy at Sears. Why did Circuit City go under?

hoped for a buyer that would keep us operating, but the economy had turned, circuit city's rep had taken alot hits, the banking crisis was just starting.....the liquidators came in and just did what they do best....had it been a different climate, we may have been able to ride it out in b-ruptcy....

Why did Circuit City go under?

I miss Circuit City. I never worked there,but now that they're gone there's only Best Buy and Sears for competition where I live. And Best Buy sucks,imo. There's always a 19 year old salesman,who don't know sh-t,trying to talk me into something more expensive. And then he won't take NO for an answer about his dumbass extended warranty. Circuit City would usually end up with my buisness cuz they had reasonably intellegent salesmen,good prices and a good selection (better than Best Buy). Now I usually buy at Sears. Why did Circuit City go under?

Wow, I feel sorry for you if those are your only choices. Fyres Electronics out here is my Disneyland. They have 400,000 sq. ft stores filled to the brim with every kind of electronic gadget you could ever think of and then some you wouldn't think of.

Wow, I feel sorry for you if those are your only choices. Fyres Electronics out here is my Disneyland. They have 400,000 sq. ft stores filled to the brim with every kind of electronic gadget you could ever think of and then some you wouldn't think of.

I feel as though the demand for electronic gadgets is much greater in the San Diego area than it is in upstate NY ;)

but now that they're gone there's only Best Buy and Sears for competition where I live.

And Amazon.com ;)

Seriously though, I don't understand how Ultimate Electronics stays in business to be honest with you. I've only been in the store a handful of times, but each time I went there, I was one of maybe five people in the entire store - including sales staff! Their prices were more expensive than other places, and they weren't willing to negotiate very much either. Very odd.

And Amazon.com ;)

Amazon.com (and companies like it) are what really killed CC. No overhead from brick and mortar stores or the associated labor costs.

Just servers, a warehouse, some people to pick and pull from said warehouse, and FedEx/UPS.

Plus that $100 item you bought at CC really cost $105 after sales tax. At Amazon, that $100 is still $100

Amazon.com (and companies like it) are what really killed CC. No overhead from brick and mortar stores or the associated labor costs.

Just servers, a warehouse, some people to pick and pull from said warehouse, and FedEx/UPS.

Plus that $100 item you bought at CC really cost $105 after sales tax. At Amazon, that $100 is still $100

To make this scenario even worse, if you wanted to "touch and feel" a product you could go to circuit city to do so. You may have even talked to someone there. Then you go home surf the internet for the best price and buy. This means cc paid all the overhead and never got to close the sale.

Pooj - glad you got to get together with others to remember the good times you shared.

Fyres is a great store in my opinion. It has the electronics and carries enough other items to interest those not looking for electronics hence they do not just get electronics shoppers but groups.

I loved CC....and I loved that last ad campaign they did when the guys would just walk through the doors and then go running into the store, lmao...that was exactly what I was feeling every time I went there. I bought my first DVD player at CC, and when I bought my first home in 2002 I went to CC to buy a nice big TV to put in it.

RIP CC :rolleyes:

yeah, just when i actually was starting to make some 'inroads' with a couple chicks...i have to relocate 5 hours away, other than being jobless, that may rank second on least appealing things in a guy :lol: ......kinda sucks! oh well

Good. Get yerself a gal now...a man's a da*n fool, if he doesn't have a good woman by his side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3JB51NH_M

:doh:

did he work here in richmond? was it recently? whats his name?

He worked in Norfolk for several years and then switched down to Atlanta. His name is Roger. He was in the repair department. He left CC several years ago when all the repair work pretty much went away and went to work for JVC.

last name isn't West is it? that is the only Roger I ever knew at JVC, don't think he had any other ties to CC other than being the National Accounts Manager....

He worked in Norfolk for several years and then switched down to Atlanta. His name is Roger. He was in the repair department. He left CC several years ago when all the repair work pretty much went away and went to work for JVC.