No reason to draft a LT

Albany,n.y.

The guy slipped lower than expected in the draft and then GB put him on the practice squad. I believe all along he was brought in to be the LT next season. The guy showed a lot of promise this year, even though he came in late and was just thrown in there with very few reps in practice. Just look at what he did in the last game playing LT. The Bills don't need an upgrade, just let him come to camp & compete with Bell. We can concentrate on other positions in the draft. :unsure:

I will say this , Mel Kiper has him tagged for round 2 or 3. I will also give you this it is hard to evaluate anyone based on what we see , there were so many probems with the line with out looking play by play, position by position it is hard to tell were the many breakdowns started. That said if we could add a top flight ,( draft or free agent ), left tackle there seems to be a lot a pieces that can be useful . L.t. levitre, wood, hangartner or incognito and butler as starters and Bell , medith , hargartner/incongnito loser as reserves/development guys . At least you can see light at the end of the tunnel, now if we could just find a quaterback

The guy slipped lower than expected in the draft and then GB put him on the practice squad. I believe all along he was brought in to be the LT next season. The guy showed a lot of promise this year, even though he came in late and was just thrown in there with very few reps in practice. Just look at what he did in the last game playing LT. The Bills don't need an upgrade, just let him come to camp & compete with Bell. We can concentrate on other positions in the draft. :unsure:

This has been the Bills philosophy regarding the OL since Polian left.

Do not spend premium picks to fix the LT position because there is always some project on the roster (or on the street) who is about to break out into a stud player.

Will Wolford was the last first round pick spent on a bona fide LT who was projected to play LT in the NFL. Butler did draft Ruben Brown as a LT out of Pitt but he was projected to play OG which is where he spent his entire NFL career. Mike Williams was never an option to play LT because he lacked the speed and agility to handle speed rushers. It turned out he couldn't play RT or G either.

The Pack O-Line has been great after a ****ty start so.

Um the Pack O-line has been great? Ask Aaron Rodgers how great his offensive line played. I'm sure he has stock in Ben Gay because he got sacked 50 times this year. Thats just sacked. Hurried, knocked down, hit, not even included. If you put Trent and Fitz's numbers together you only get 44 sacks. And that is behind an offensive line that brought in FAs to start every f'n week. FAs off of GB's practice squad no less. So take a look at the numbers before you spout off some garbage. :unsure:

That would be great. He looks like a LT and moves like one, but something is missing to this point. The OL is too important to risk on a project. Bring in other good OL and if Meredith is up to the task he will win the job.

The Pack O-Line has been great after a ****ty start so.

I actually like Bell... If you look at San Diego, they have not used many really high draft picks on o linemen,. I assume Nix is of that philosophy.. Plus, a competent qb will make a lesser lt look a hell of a lot better... I say if there is no Claussen at no 9 we go MaClain... Or move out of it to get more picks, but obviously the new coach needs to be in place before we get all into mock drafting.... Bottom line, get a coach and a quarterback.... Then we'll talk.

Um the Pack O-line has been great? Ask Aaron Rodgers how great his offensive line played. I'm sure he has stock in Ben Gay because he got sacked 50 times this year. Thats just sacked. Hurried, knocked down, hit, not even included. If you put Trent and Fitz's numbers together you only get 44 sacks. And that is behind an offensive line that brought in FAs to start every f'n week. FAs off of GB's practice squad no less. So take a look at the numbers before you spout off some garbage. :thumbsup:

Yes after they had a very bad start were they sucked they were good.

1st 8 games 37 sacks

Last 8 games 13

So the second half of th year they were good.

So take a look at the numbers before you spout off some garbage. :thumbsup:

Yes after they had a very bad start were they sucked they were good.

1st 8 games 37 sacks

Last 8 games 13

So the second half of th year they were good.

So take a look at the numbers before you spout off some garbage. :thumbsup:

They never were that bad- once Aaron Rodgers learned to get rid of the ball, they did much better. For the early part of his career, he looked like a more mobile Drew Bledsoe, just holding the ball too long. Our line on the other hand, is putrid

Fred Jackson spent years in the Arena league, NFL Europe and our PS before getting a chance and making an impact...

I hear what you are saying, and you have a good point. But the guy played decently all things considered and while we shouldn't bank on him for next year, we shouldn't write him off either.

Jackson is a lightning strike, you don't count on that kind of thing. No one is counting anyone out but this thread was started on the idea that we don't need to draft a LT because of this guy. 'Cuz he looked good against the Colts' back ups? I don't get it.

The guy slipped lower than expected in the draft and then GB put him on the practice squad. I believe all along he was brought in to be the LT next season. The guy showed a lot of promise this year, even though he came in late and was just thrown in there with very few reps in practice. Just look at what he did in the last game playing LT. The Bills don't need an upgrade, just let him come to camp & compete with Bell. We can concentrate on other positions in the draft. :thumbsup:

Mike Oher was taken in the first round at RT by the Ravens. He has started since game one. Big Phil Loadholt was drafted in the second round by the Vikings at RT, he has started since game one. Eric Wood - first round - starter. Andy Levitre - 2nd round - starter. Are you beginning to understand the pattern here?? Jamon Merideth - 5th, or 6th round draft pick by the Packers last year - practice squad.

Now big Jamon may become a starting tackle in the NFL - someday. But now that Buddy Nix, Mr. "football guy" has the final say (alegedly) as the GM of football, I think you will watch him take either a right or left tackle in this Aprils' draft either in round one or round two.....round 3 at the very latest. If the Bills really want to upgrade, they need to upgrade the talent level on the O-Line, not "hope" that an injury ravaged year of experience will bring their sorry collection of tackles up to a better level of play! (And every single right and left tackle the Bills lined up ended up getting injured at some point of the season.)

Mike Oher was taken in the first round at RT by the Ravens. He has started since game one. Big Phil Loadholt was drafted in the second round by the Vikings at RT, he has started since game one. Eric Wood - first round - starter. Andy Levitre - 2nd round - starter. Are you beginning to understand the pattern here?? Jamon Merideth - 5th, or 6th round draft pick by the Packers last year - practice squad.

Now big Jamon may become a starting tackle in the NFL - someday. But now that Buddy Nix, Mr. "football guy" has the final say (alegedly) as the GM of football, I think you will watch him take either a right or left tackle in this Aprils' draft either in round one or round two.....round 3 at the very latest. If the Bills really want to upgrade, they need to upgrade the talent level on the O-Line, not "hope" that an injury ravaged year of experience will bring their sorry collection of tackles up to a better level of play! (And every single right and left tackle the Bills lined up ended up getting injured at some point of the season.)

I agree with most of what you're saying. We shouldn't be expecting a guy who was plucked off Green Bay's practice squad to end up starting for us at one of the most important positions on the team. However, I'd rather go QB if a good one is available at #9 and get our LT in free agency or draft tackles in rds 2 &/or 3. Jamon Meredith is Green Bay's (and now our) garbage, just like Brian Brohm. If either one or both of them go to camp with a chance of starting, we're in for a really long season in 2010. (No devil or any other emoticon needed for this post because I'm not kidding in this one)

It takes 3 years to learn most positions in the NFL especially the O line. Many first year standouts have a slump in year 2. If a player has the athleticism and a brain by year three it starts to click.

There are plenty of rookie LT's that start and play well. Jake long, browns and broncos also had great rookie lt's.

What if he is not the answer? What if he gets injured? Go back to Jonathan Scott? Are you willing to bet another year on that? Ralph Wilson at 91 years old does not have too many betting hands before his time runs out.

:thumbsup: Have you been keeping up with the offseason events? Aside from rearranging some deck chairs, it is the same cooks in the kitchen.

I like Jamon Meredith as a backup tackle. People like Jonathan Scott, Andre Mike Craig Ramsey and Demetrius Bell shouldn't be employed as professional athletes.

Wow, that's a bad roster. ;)

Who are the stars of this team after four seasons of Levy/Jauron/Brandon? Evans, Schobel, and ???? Both of those guys were drafted by Tom Donahoe 9 and 6 years ago. The other players, Levitre, Wood, McKelvin, and Maybin are either playing positions easy to replace (Guard) or still aren't proven NFL players.

Is it any coincidence that none of the team's first rounders from 06-08 aren't really difference makers? Only Posluszny from the 2nd and 3rd rounds from 06-08 can be considered an NFL starter for the long term. They have nothing proven successful at QB, nothing at OT (Butler's been injured each of his seasons), their best defender may retire, and their LB's beside Poz and Mitchell are UFL caliber.

Next season will be a total rebuild.